Death wobble... where to start

MileHigh6.7

Reaction score
I have a 2012 f250. Currently 80k miles, and it did the infamous death wobble! Never experienced anything like that in my life. where to start with this? It has done it to me 3 tines on the highway while hitting a decent dip at 70mph. I have had to slow all the way down to around 20mph before it stops.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Jack er up and check the old front end out first before you go spending money on something you might not need. I am doing my front drag link tie rod's right now, under warranty luckily. Could be a number of things from a worn out tie rod, ball joint, pitman arm, wheel bearing's, bushing's etc. Usually its a combination of stuff, which combined together gives it enough play to cause the death wobble. If you're unsure how to check, maybe a friend knows or an alignment shop is fairly cheap too. There are some definite nice upgrades like mentioned above but if your on a budget, it might be better to start with checking out the factory parts for wear and tear first.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Steering stabilizer. I have replaced quite a few on our 450 trucks. Climb under and see if it's leaking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Steering stabilizer. I have replaced quite a few on our 450 trucks. Climb under and see if it's leaking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Most likely a bigger issue if he is getting death wobble. Can definitely check and replace that too if it's worn out. If the op hasn't changed or upgraded the steering shock than it probably isn't doing so well then...

Jomax

Reaction score
#1 reason is trackbar bushing or the ball joint.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MileHigh6.7

Reaction score
#1 reason is trackbar bushing or the ball joint.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trackbar was replaced with a new oem last week from my dealer. Told me to go ahead and take it and try it out. Over the weekend I took it for a good drive and it did it again. Taking it back again.

MileHigh6.7

Reaction score
Jack er up and check the old front end out first before you go spending money on something you might not need. I am doing my front drag link tie rod's right now, under warranty luckily. Could be a number of things from a worn out tie rod, ball joint, pitman arm, wheel bearing's, bushing's etc. Usually its a combination of stuff, which combined together gives it enough play to cause the death wobble. If you're unsure how to check, maybe a friend knows or an alignment shop is fairly cheap too. There are some definite nice upgrades like mentioned above but if your on a budget, it might be better to start with checking out the factory parts for wear and tear first.

Yes, this would be my best bet. Will try and do that if I can.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
Stock suspension! I just purchased the truck about two weeks ago

Yeah bud Id go ahead and replace the ball joints and trackbar bushing. Do you know if the truck was lifted previously? If so Id go ahead and replace a lot of the components or go ahead and upgrade while you still have it apart! Like these guys were saying, an adjustable track bar with the upgraded steel helm joint goes a long way. A Hd drag link, and dual steering stabilizers really help strengthen your suspension as well and can be used with stock suspension.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
One Up Offroad makes an upgraded Track Rod Joint. We stock and sell the absolute hell out of them. The high speed shutter/bump steer is drastically reduced. Really a nice piece to upgrade, quite a few forum members have bought them off of me.

redwhitenblue

Reaction score
One Up Offroad makes an upgraded Track Rod Joint. We stock and sell the absolute hell out of them. The high speed shutter/bump steer is drastically reduced. Really a nice piece to upgrade, quite a few forum members have bought them off of me.

Does it work with an upgraded track bar? I have an upgraded track bar but still uses the stock joint. Do you have a picture handy?

Thanks

Layson

Reaction score
Trackbar was replaced with a new oem last week from my dealer. Told me to go ahead and take it and try it out. Over the weekend I took it for a good drive and it did it again. Taking it back again.

Make sure they tightened it enough....

Jomax

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online