DIY T4

ja_cain

Reaction score
Btw, cool first thread by the way. I have all the equipment to do this setup (tig/mig) and would love to help you out if you want to replicate it sometime. PM me if you are interested and I will send you my contact info.

Also, what kind of lathe and mill do you have? I do a little bit of lathe and mill work from time to time at work. Getting ready to secure an old South Bend for the house in the next few weeks.

Reaction score
I would buy a set from a reputable builder, if you don't own the 15k flow bench have fun getting it to idle.... There is such thing as a balanced set for a reason, I won't go into the specifics due to the respect for the knowledge that some have given me for their own sake but it's an art to mod fuel systems, not just a job.

Dflippin08

Reaction score
I live close to town on 38. Subdivision called Daybreak.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would buy a set from a reputable builder, if you don't own the 15k flow bench have fun getting it to idle.... There is such thing as a balanced set for a reason, I won't go into the specifics due to the respect for the knowledge that some have given me for their own sake but it's an art to mod fuel systems, not just a job.

Good advice right here. I would love to be able to cobble together a flow bench just for learning purposes. God knows I have enough high pressure tubing/solenoids, 3/8" poly carbonate and t-slot framing to make something. Just need a little bit of time and motivation.

Reaction score
Lots of engineering went into the latest flow benches, being able to determine flow rates at different desired ICP's and you can adjust pulse width with the click of a mouse... It's being able to build a set you can stand behind vs a set that "you hope works and your engine is the guinea pig" lol.. HEUI is much different than just say Series 60 injector that fires on a 12v PWM signal and controlled via a rocker lever/camshaft, hell we had a piece of a head we cut off and had a used rocker lever and a piece of tubing welded to it, had a small gear pump that made 75 psi and you you just basically pulled a trigger to activate the injector and pulled the lever, held it down to see if it dripped, (needle and seat leakage) and we checked for spray pattern basically.. HEUI not so simple lol..

ja_cain

Reaction score
I live close to town on 38. Subdivision called Daybreak.

Yeah, near the schools right? I live off of river (602 on your side) not too far on the other side of the Chesterfield/Amelia boarder. I drive out that way from time to time to go to my best friends house. Like I said, I would love to check out your setup sometime.

superpsd

Reaction score
A nice poor man's flow bench would be a second 7.3 laying around on a stand with controls and a laptop to help dial them in. Just a thought. Sure a reputable set of injectors is the better way to go but many have assembled an injector from off the shelf parts without major issues.

On a side not pulling these apart and putting them back together is not completely fun to me. Sure some of the injector sizes require machining but some are just off the shelf parts and if you buy all new alliant injectors and swap out the P@B and nozzles it's likely to be ok. These injectors are kind of a pain to pull apart with basic tools but

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Lots of engineering went into the latest flow benches, being able to determine flow rates at different desired ICP's and you can adjust pulse width with the click of a mouse... It's being able to build a set you can stand behind vs a set that "you hope works and your engine is the guinea pig" lol.. HEUI is much different than just say Series 60 injector that fires on a 12v PWM signal and controlled via a rocker lever/camshaft, hell we had a piece of a head we cut off and had a used rocker lever and a piece of tubing welded to it, had a small gear pump that made 75 psi and you you just basically pulled a trigger to activate the injector and pulled the lever, held it down to see if it dripped, (needle and seat leakage) and we checked for spray pattern basically.. HEUI not so simple lol..

By no means was I trying to dumb it down. I have some PLC hardware just sitting at work that could be put to use for something like this. Need to do something with it so I can keep the ladder logic and programming fresh in my mind. My buddy at Afton built his own commonrail flow bench for a tenth of what it would have cost to buy one from one of the usual suspects. I realize HEUI is a little bit different but still reasonably doable I think.

Dflippin08

Reaction score
I completely agree with you. I would never want anyone to put a set of injectors built by me in their truck. But our 2 530's sure run good. People jump all over anyone that speaks of diy injectors. Reminds me of all the post I read when my trans bit the dirt. Glad I didn't listen to all the people saying don't waste ur time n money, just call BTS or jw. I have a set of alliant inj with about 10k mi on them. Barrels n plungers come in matched sets. We will see what the results are when they are done.

Dflippin08

Reaction score
Yeah, near the schools right? I live off of river (602 on your side) not too far on the other side of the Chesterfield/Amelia boarder. I drive out that way from time to time to go to my best friends house. Like I said, I would love to check out your setup sometime.
That's it. Sounds good. I'll pm u

ja_cain

Reaction score
A nice poor man's flow bench would be a second 7.3 laying around on a stand with controls and a laptop to help dial them in. Just a thought. Sure a reputable set of injectors is the better way to go but many have assembled an injector from off the shelf parts without major issues.

Once you get the mechanical and electro-mechanical stuff straight it seems like it's just bucket and stopwatch and looking at flow pattern. We build our own analytical equipment all the time because the stuff is just supper expensive to buy outright.

Also, I have done a fair amount of high speed photography in the past with our fiber spinning technology. So, I could use the same techniques to analyse the spray patterns too. The problem is my boss is just not really a gear head.

Reaction score
I have nothing against building stuff to stock and knowing it will work, you're not altering any variables, just replacing worn parts and restoring spray pattern, and atomization, but when you start altering thing's inside a HEUI injector, you need to see it in action, it's kinda cool, swamps has some videos on Youtube that show their setup, it's neat to watch but the respect factor for me is there, if you're not gonna spend the dough don't complain when the end result is far from what you could ever imagine.. Transmissions are in another ball field IMHOP, I've built several E4ODs/4R100s that have lived well over 600hp and never failed, but that's between me and my crappy work bench, I built my first 700R4 when I was 16 and I'm 27 now so I've got a few years between now and then lol..

ja_cain

Reaction score
I completely agree with you. I would never want anyone to put a set of injectors built by me in their truck. But our 2 530's sure run good. People jump all over anyone that speaks of diy injectors. Reminds me of all the post I read when my trans bit the dirt. Glad I didn't listen to all the people saying don't waste ur time n money, just call BTS or jw. I have a set of alliant inj with about 10k mi on them. Barrels n plungers come in matched sets. We will see what the results are when they are done.

Life is too short to let people talk you out of fun experimentation and then you regret not trying once it's too late. Even if they blow you still learn something and it beats sitting in front of the boob or surfing the internet dreaming about all the things you wanted to do but never followed through on. Good luck!

superpsd

Reaction score
I built a set of BI code injectors recently. It was fun and I do not know if they are going to work all that well. However I am glad I decided to tear into them to learn more about how they work. If they don't work they can become cores equal to what I have into them.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I have nothing against building stuff to stock and knowing it will work, you're not altering any variables, just replacing worn parts and restoring spray pattern, and atomization, but when you start altering thing's inside a HEUI injector, you need to see it in action, it's kinda cool, swamps has some videos on Youtube that show their setup, it's neat to watch but the respect factor for me is there, if you're not gonna spend the dough don't complain when the end result is far from what you could ever imagine.. Transmissions are in another ball field IMHOP, I've built several E4ODs/4R100s that have lived well over 600hp and never failed, but that's between me and my crappy work bench, I built my first 700R4 when I was 16 and I'm 27 now so I've got a few years between now and then lol..

I'll have to check those videos out sometime. I have a 4L60 that I am going to try and rebuild for my Chevelle to replace the Turbo350. Even if it blows, it's still worth even if it's for pure academic reasons.

Reaction score
Life is too short to let people talk you out of fun experimentation and then you regret not trying once it's too late. Even if they blow you still learn something and it beats sitting in front of the boob or surfing the internet dreaming about all the things you wanted to do but never followed through on. Good luck!

Ain't that the truth, I just hate seeing people end up broke and pissed off, I've devoted 13 years of life to repairing diesel engine, fuel systems, transmissions, and a lot of other crap, there is always someone a little quicker to skin a cat than I can. I respect peoples talent, my uncle Paul has been with Bosch in Novi for 27 years as an engineer in the Diesel Dept, and the things that his team thinks up grounds me pretty quick, I remember building a liner press to put LPF liners in an NTC855 or the first time I learned how to weld out valve seats and I was proud of myself, and then he's over here like yeah we worked on the CP3 project lol...

Reaction score
I'll have to check those videos out sometime. I have a 4L60 that I am going to try and rebuild for my Chevelle to replace the Turbo350. Even if it blows, it's still worth even if it's for pure academic reasons.

Buy an ATSG manual, get a transgo shift kit, pick your converter and just take your time, you'll get through it, if my Clyde self can I know you can.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Buy an ATSG manual, get a transgo shift kit, pick your converter and just take your time, you'll get through it, if my Clyde self can I know you can.
Yeah, I plan on getting the ATSG manual for sure. Just need to get everything nice and clean in my garage. I hope to pick up a parts cleaner in a few weeks for a good price so I can clean everything up and start measuring everything to see what is/isn't in tolerance. Should be a cool project.

I just want to reiterate this mount is definitely a cool concept and look forward to seeing how well it does compared to the stock setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Looking good. And yes you can build you own injectors just depends on what size your trying to build. If I remember correctly. A 238cc hybrid is just a A code with BD code P&B and many vendors sell nozzles, o rings, and all the other little parts are available...

A quick note. If you think that all you do is swap in some parts to make 238 cc of fuel, think again.
There's a reason why there are no DIY Injector kits any more...

Latest posts

Members online