DIY T4

superpsd

Reaction score
A quick note. If you think that all you do is swap in some parts to make 238 cc of fuel, think again.
There's a reason why there are no DIY Injector kits any more...

Well I don't know exactly I have little experience. However it had been said that a BD code 7.1 mm Plunger and Barrel swapped into a A code injector creates a Hybrid. Its just about creating more displacement bore vs stroke. If anyone wanted to build there own they don't need a "kit" there are plenty of parts available. Nozzles average 450-500$ and the rest of the internals and o-rings are available. There are plenty of diagrams, tutorials and parts size and part number breakdowns online for the DIY guy. Stage one injectors are just AC codes Stage two are just a nozzled AC. Some sizes are more difficult as machining is involved.

They are not easy but I plan to play with other sizes down the road. If my BI 2??/200% plugged P&B injectors do not work I have been slowly collecting new BD codes and I will just nozzle them and be done for a 240?/200%

mandkole

Reaction score
Well I don't know exactly I have little experience. However it had been said that a BD code 7.1 mm Plunger and Barrel swapped into a A code injector creates a Hybrid. Its just about creating more displacement bore vs stroke. If anyone wanted to build there own they don't need a "kit" there are plenty of parts available. Nozzles average 450-500$ and the rest of the internals and o-rings are available. There are plenty of diagrams, tutorials and parts size and part number breakdowns online for the DIY guy. Stage one injectors are just AC codes Stage two are just a nozzled AC. Some sizes are more difficult as machining is involved.

They are not easy but I plan to play with other sizes down the road. If my BI 2??/200% plugged P&B injectors do not work I have been slowly collecting new BD codes and I will just nozzle them and be done for a 240?/200%

You are speaking to the guy who sold the first commercially available 'DIY injector' kits with instructions, CD, vice tool, etc 10 years ago. That kit and encouragement from a local injector shop gave me the balls to tear a couple of sets apart. I had access to a flow bench and learned why these injector shops earn their money.

I'd never do it again... the results were 'ok' but the basic idle quality never improved because I knew nothing about dealing with worn out oil side.

Dflippin08

Reaction score
I didn't mean to turn this into an injector argument.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dflippin08

Reaction score
I've put about 500 miles on it. I like it a lot. I've ordered a new boost gauge. The one on the truck only goes to 30 and gets pegged pretty quick. No leaks, sounds good. Will be adding a waste gate when I add bigger sticks. By the time that happens I'll have bought a tig. Will smooth up welds then. I have a custom tune Hot Street wit
h lil smoke and would run off n leave the canned ts6 and stock turbo.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Love these DIY threads. I'd like to see a video also

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
op, nice job. clean that mount and base up a bit with some tig welds and it would be tits!! now take a stock obs t4 mount and fit a s400 to it and make a base like that and adapt sd uppies to the t4 flange.. id give you a couple hundy for it.. it would allow me to pull in the class i do but with a true 2.6 charger on a stock 7.3 flange...

live life full throttle

Dirtclod

Reaction score
very nice and i commend you also for thinking outside the box. by any means do i care about being a mechanic on these trucks or any vehicle, but anyone who owns one needs to be educated as much as possible so we at least have an idea when we have a problem. or when it comes to upgrades to know what direction to go. as far as building a t4 setup, would be easy for me to do, other than it being flow tested. fabricating and pipework is my trade anyways. here in the near future my 01 is going to get a shot of steroids and im looking at the t4 setup. tig welded would've looked better,but it works. impressive!

ja_cain

Reaction score
I have a couple tig machines laying around at my disposal. This might be a good opportunity to get my buddies big syncro 350lx up in running. He lives much closer to the op than I do (not that I'm that far away). I would love to replicate it.

Lincoln, that would be the sweet setup for sure.

Dflippin08, where did you get the bellows at? I've got some links to sites somewhere on my computer but it would be cool to have a reference in your thread. I have a Dynasty 200 I use at work and have brought it home multiple times to do some welding, so I could steal it for a weekend if it would be helpful. Do you know to tig weld? It would be cool to fabricate a fixture so you could build them faster. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Well I don't know exactly I have little experience. However it had been said that a BD code 7.1 mm Plunger and Barrel swapped into a A code injector creates a Hybrid. Its just about creating more displacement bore vs stroke. If anyone wanted to build there own they don't need a "kit" there are plenty of parts available. Nozzles average 450-500$ and the rest of the internals and o-rings are available. There are plenty of diagrams, tutorials and parts size and part number breakdowns online for the DIY guy. Stage one injectors are just AC codes Stage two are just a nozzled AC. Some sizes are more difficult as machining is involved....

I didn't mean to turn this into an injector argument.

I'm just trying to pass along useful info so that when your set-up doesn't meet your expectations you'll know why. It's usually because your diy self-built Hybrids are flowing 180 cc not 238 because you didn't do everything needed to make them flow properly.
Again, it's not a matter of swapping parts, regardless of what you read or what your math says.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Dflippin08

Reaction score
I have a couple tig machines laying around at my disposal. This might be a good opportunity to get my buddies big syncro 350lx up in running. He lives much closer to the op than I do (not that I'm that far away). I would love to replicate it.

Lincoln, that would be the sweet setup for sure.

Dflippin08, where did you get the bellows at? I've got some links to sites somewhere on my computer but it would be cool to have a reference in your thread. I have a Dynasty 200 I use at work and have brought it home multiple times to do some welding, so I could steal it for a weekend if it would be helpful. Do you know to tig weld? It would be cool to fabricate a fixture so you could build them faster. Let me know if I can be of any help.

I just bought a tig yesterday. Nothing fancy. It's a Miller econotig. I do know how to tig. My plan is to pull it off when I do the injectors, studs, springs,and pushrods. I'll make a jig for the future. I do plan to make a few and sell them. $1650 T4 kits are one of the few reasons a couple guys I know got rid of their 7.3. They went to a dodge. While I understand the r&d that goes into the parts that are made from our vendors, their prices are putting a hurting on the performance minded 7.3 owner.

The collector was made from pipe from a 6.0 collector. The up pipes are a new set for the 7.3 just shortened. The rest was 3/8 plate steel.

ja_cain

Reaction score
That's cool you picked up a tig. They are so nice to have around for precise fab work. The econotig should be more than capable for what you are doing. It's the aluminum that puts a hurtin on these smaller machines. That's why I want to get my buddies 350 hooked up. I'm trying to talk him into keeping it at my house since he will probably never use it.

I hear you about the cost of the mounts. I think you are definitely onto something there with your design. Good luck with the new tig and can't wait to see the final version.

Latest posts

Members online