FICM Shootout - Tuned, 48V, and 58V

Karls03

Reaction score
Karls03 what is your strategy? And what's your driving style? WV mountains are drastically different than GA flats. Just $.02

My truck has the crappy 2003 strategy (all three got the most currrent updates in late 2011), I forgot exactly which one, but it's not a desirable one. Since I have put in the FICM tune and the Econo tune, I have been driving like a grandmother. Not like I hammer on it all of the time to begin with. Granted living at 4000ft doesn't help mileage (flat desert), but there haven't been any increases. When I run this tank out, if the numbers don't improve, I'm putting the SRL tune back on and give up on mpg increases.

Last edited:

Karls03

Reaction score
Forgive me if I sound skeptical, but after droppoing $300 on a PHP Moderate FICM tune, then $80 on an 'Econo Tune' and seeing nothing in the way of mpg that was promised, I tend to doubt ANY mpg claims from anyone. Yes, the throttle response improved, but the mpg is the same old 13-ish it was stock FICM/SRL tune. I have been easier on the throttle with the 80hp Econo Tune, too.

**EDIT** I am using IDP's FICM tuner, NOT PHP. Sorry for any confusion. Too many letters to keep straight.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
**EDIT** I am using IDP's FICM tuner, NOT PHP. Sorry for any confusion. Too many letters to keep straight.

innovatives has no inductive heat, this can contribute to poor fuel mileage. depending on the condition of the injectors the truck can run very poorly until the oil temp comes up.

bboteler

Reaction score
Im not arguing with you over what ficm calibrations did or didn't do Im just trying to figure out exactly what your set up is. Just fyi you have in your sig you have php ficm tuning but you said above you have IDP's ficm tuner...still confused here man.

Karls03

Reaction score
Just to get it straight you have a PHP rollback and an IDP Ficm tune?

Innovative Diesel Performance FICM tuner ONLY. Too many acronyms, I got confused, sorry.

innovatives has no inductive heat, this can contribute to poor fuel mileage. depending on the condition of the injectors the truck can run very poorly until the oil temp comes up.

the first inductive heat ficm strategies detuned the trucks about 30-40rwhp over the original FICM calibrations.

I wouldn't call my mpg poor, Diesel Power was seeing 11 mpg in their 2003 project rig "Outcast" and I hover around 13 mpg living at 4000 ft. However, I AM saying that the ONLY thing that EVER helped with my mpg was mixing 2 stroke oil at 200:1. Looks like it's time to start mixing again.

Members online

No members online now.