FICM tuning + ECM rollback

rman

Reaction score
Hi all, a little confused here.

I have a 2003 with VXAP2B2. I would like to try a rollback to maximize my dismal fuel economy and squeeze out a couple ponies.

I contacted PHP and they told me I need to send in my ECM, and that FICM tuning doesn't change it - which I understand.

What I have read in my countless hours of research, is that once you tune your FICM, your tuner can then roll back your ECM via tuning.

How does this work? Is the FICM tune standardized? Or is there a specific FICM tune needed to allow rollbacks? In other words, could I buy a used Gryphon and have my tuner roll me back, or do I have to tell PHP to cook up a special FICM tune that allows ECM rollback?
I couldn't seem to get the answer from PHP.

I currently use Vivian for tuning, and plan to pick up Gearhead and possibly TSD and WPE once studded. My hope is to have these guys be able to cook me up killer tunes with the most optimal strategy.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

Reaction score
ECM rollback is not needed with custom tunes. Just get an economy or 40hp FICM tune and some gearhead SCT tunes and you will love it. I do ECM rollbacks here for trucks that are never going to have anymore of a programmer on them. It's really just a less expensive custom tune option for things like egr, turbo brake, and fan clutch temps. The downside is that it's a one time flash, nothing goes with the truck. SCT can always be changed down the road.

Last edited:

rman

Reaction score
ECM rollback is not needed with custom tunes. Just get an economy or 40hp FICM tune and some gearhead SCT tunes and you will love it. I do ECM rollbacks here for trucks that are never going to have anymore of a programmer on them. It's really just a less expensive custom tune option for things like egr, turbo brake, and fan clutch temps. The downside is that it's a one time flash, nothing goes with the truck. SCT can always be changed down the road.
interesting. I had read that my stock strategy wasn't all too good in the mpg and power department, and that a rollback via tune would help recoup a lot of that

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
interesting. I had read that my stock strategy wasn't all too good in the mpg and power department, and that a rollback via tune would help recoup a lot of that

Most tuners tune on strategies that they know that works best for each truck. Say if you purchase a tune that tune will most likely be based of a strategy that's known to be good.

rman

Reaction score
Most tuners tune on strategies that they know that works best for each truck. Say if you purchase a tune that tune will most likely be based of a strategy that's known to be good.
That's what I figured, I know Vivian tuned my truck on a different strategy, and we had some issues with it, but got it worked out.

But I've read about something different, in terms of being able to "rollback" the strategy, but only once the FICM has been tuned.

Reaction score
That's what I figured, I know Vivian tuned my truck on a different strategy, and we had some issues with it, but got it worked out.

But I've read about something different, in terms of being able to "rollback" the strategy, but only once the FICM has been tuned.

ECM strategy has nothing to do with FICM. You can flash any file to either module of any year. They just won't start.

rman

Reaction score
I guess that's why I'm confused.

I have read multiple posts of people saying their tuner could roll back the strategy via the tune after having a FICM tune

Reaction score
I guess that's why I'm confused.

I have read multiple posts of people saying their tuner could roll back the strategy via the tune after having a FICM tune

There's simply no need to roll back with a good custom tune. I sell Gearhead tunes more than anything because they just flat out work, with either the PHP economy or atlas 40 in the FICM.

mz4speed

Reaction score
I have a question. 05 f350 king ranch 4 dr. 6.0 196k miles. Just two days ago started running rough at idle and take off. I am thinking stiction injectors. Changed new fuel filter on driver side and top of engine. Still rough. Give it time to clear out? I ordered rev x a few days ago and should be coming anytime. Question is, i need to get somewhere that a half hour drive. safe to ride it out like this?

strokin6L

Reaction score
You can do a ecm roll back through tuning. Eric did this for me. He switched mine to an early strategy with a tune. I use to have the same strategy as you when stock tuned. Now tuned its VXAP0N2.....use to be VXAP2B2

rman

Reaction score
You can do a ecm roll back through tuning. Eric did this for me. He switched mine to an early strategy with a tune. I use to have the same strategy as you when stock tuned. Now tuned its VXAP0N2.....use to be VXAP2B2

see that's exactly what i am talking about. i know vivian tunes mine to a VXANxxx, but I think the VXAMxxx is preferable but possibly not able to use with stock FICM? that's what I'm trying to figure out - if FICM tuning opens more doors for better strategies.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've ran the roll back early strategy with a stock ficm and a tuned ficm. Mine might be the VXANxxx....but I forget haha. All I know is the last three were numbers/letters were changed from 2B2 to 0N2....I'll hafta check again.

Last edited:

rman

Reaction score
So i emailed Gearhead, and they say they can do it with or without FICM tuning, but they did say that once i gety FICM tuned, to ask what strategy PHP recommends my ECM be tuned on, their guess is VXAM.

The toss up is whether to send in for $150, since the atlas40 is likely all I'll use, or get the programmer. If I can score a used programmer, I may go that route.

Someone had suggested to me to go that route, in the event i don't like it, or the smoke, I can then sell and recoup some cash.

Reaction score
So i emailed Gearhead, and they say they can do it with or without FICM tuning, but they did say that once i gety FICM tuned, to ask what strategy PHP recommends my ECM be tuned on, their guess is VXAM.

The toss up is whether to send in for $150, since the atlas40 is likely all I'll use, or get the programmer. If I can score a used programmer, I may go that route.

Someone had suggested to me to go that route, in the event i don't like it, or the smoke, I can then sell and recoup some cash.

Send me a PM if you wold like to have it flashed. I'm in Northen Cali so it will be a little faster than sending into PHP.

rman

Reaction score
wish i knew! I'm 3 hours into my drive to santa rosa!

what do you charge?

rman

Reaction score
I'm about 3 hours from Santa Rosa, 1.5 hours north of Sacramento. I charge $200. Can also do it with an exchange FICM.

Considering this is 9 years old and I moved to Texas 8 years ago

I also upgraded

I do miss the 6.0 straight pipe and linear boost. The stock 6.7 didn’t have quite the tip-in that the 6.0 has and now with my stage 2 whistler it’s dead until 1500rpm

21395fee973efa947ebec06c2afd0760.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk