Gearhead vs. innovative tuning

3brorce

Reaction score
I would say innovative as that's who I'm going with on this next go around of tuners for my Mini Max. I've been talking with Eric via email for a while now and explaining all the issues I'm currently having with my Gearhead tunes, Eric has a good understanding of what's wrong and is willing to work with me on getting his tunes to work with the truck. He responds in a respectable timeframe, he asks a ton of questions, has you try out a bunch of different scenarios to get a good understanding of the issue. Eric's communication and actual attempts in getting to the issue and understanding the issue has been greatly appreciated and thus why I would spend the money on his tunes.

And here's the reasoning for me even though I'm probably going to burn a bridge here but o'well... After multiple emails to Gearhead and repeatedly being told its my truck and it cant be the tune. Despite it being in the shop multiple times having everything mechanical checked and rechecked, and sensors tested and changed even though their good because it might be a what if. My truck doesn't change, its still a freaking smoking pig at all power levels, shifting is harsh as eff, especially when it goes into 5tc, still having random shifting flares when on it at partial throttle, and still no rework of the tune is provided, just more excuses given and to have other things to have checked mechanically because it can't be the tune and the tune works on all the other trucks. Funny because there's all sorts of posts saying how people have had Gearhead do some additional tuning to get their truck spot on. Honestly, my truck runs basically the same either on Gearheads or the 300HD tunes. After all the visits to the shop and having everything I'm told to check done and then some, my truck couldn't have a cleaner bill of health from the shop. At this point frustration has set in and has lead me to look in other directions for a better option.
If your truck acts the same no matter the tune, custom or box, I would tell you the same as gearhead in that you have a mechanical issue. :shrug: Have Matt send you a stockdelete tune and see how it runs.

Stroked777

Reaction score
If your truck acts the same no matter the tune, custom or box, I would tell you the same as gearhead in that you have a mechanical issue. :shrug: Have Matt send you a stockdelete tune and see how it runs.

You beat me too it. As soon as I saw "same on Gearhead or HD300" that makes me head for the direction to say that your truck is the problem

twitch02x

Reaction score
When the converter is locked there is no slip between motor and tranny therefore provides much harder acceleration

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Erics tunes lock in 2nd. Personally I would go with innovative. 10k miles of beating mine at 900+ and trans is fine

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Erics tunes lock in 2nd. Personally I would go with innovative. 10k miles of beating mine at 900+ and trans is fine
How would the extreme X tune be on a daily driver? Truck is all stock and about to be deleted. How does the power come on? Is it smooth throughout the whole pedal or is it really sensitive?

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
How would the extreme X tune be on a daily driver? Truck is all stock and about to be deleted. How does the power come on? Is it smooth throughout the whole pedal or is it really sensitive?

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Are you only planning on getting a single tune? If your only going to get one I would go with extreme street, Its a clean tune with friendly street shifting and has more than enough go if needed.

That's what I run on my dd 6.4, but my pedal never touches the floor in my truck.. Too afraid to find out what my 260k mile original motor/trans think of the big tune.

powerjoker12

Reaction score
no im going to get a tune package. My truck is more of weekend warrior thats why im looking for a more aggressive tune. I dd 95 7.3

Last edited:

vr6dub

Reaction score
You beat me too it. As soon as I saw "same on Gearhead or HD300" that makes me head for the direction to say that your truck is the problem

Ok, guess I need to clear this up a bit. When I say the two tunes act the same, I'm meaning the 300HD smokiness is the huge even on the 0 low boost level and its in a way the same for the Gearhead tunes, however it is a good bit less smoky than the 300HD but still not what you guys are saying in being smoke free on your trucks. Both trans tunes are mph based whereas I was under the assumption that gearhead was supposed to be load based sensing when I first got it. Transmission will not downshift from 5tc when it gets into the gear and its floored, it just stays in the 5tc or if I do get lucky it downshifts to 4tc but then it still just lugs and slowly accelerates and smokes out the entire roadway.. So basically in my opinion, both tunes are equal.

If you guys think its the mechanicals of the truck, please give up some items to check out that hasn't already been looked over already and I'll be happy to have the shop check it out, otherwise I'm saying it's the tune. everything turbo related\ sensor related\ boost related and engine related has already been checked out as good.

vr6dub

Reaction score

When I run the "Stock" tune from Matt, it's still pretty smoky but it is less smoky than the performance/street/tow tunes. The responsiveness of the truck sucks butt with any of the tunes, takes forever for it to do anything when you step on the gas pedal. It overall runs just as good as the other tunes, but with less smoke being puked out but still does smoke like a train when you floor it or actually go beyond 1/2 throttle.

powerjoker12

Reaction score
When I run the "Stock" tune from Matt, it's still pretty smoky but it is less smoky than the performance/street/tow tunes. The responsiveness of the truck sucks butt with any of the tunes, takes forever for it to do anything when you step on the gas pedal. It overall runs just as good as the other tunes, but with less smoke being puked out but still does smoke like a train when you floor it or actually go beyond 1/2 throttle.

So are u saying innovative is the way you would go??

sootie

Reaction score

something is wrong with your truck then...

Latest posts

Members online