Head gasket replacement

webb06

Reaction score
Thermostat and blue spring kit as well as a waterpump, depending on mileage of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jake74

Reaction score
I ordered blue spring kit and thermostat. I didn't order water pump. Truck has 89,000 on it. Think I should replace it?

kwelch08

Reaction score
I would if I was you. I didn't like a dummy got in a hurry and now only a month later my water pump is starting to fail.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jake74

Reaction score
New oem water pump it is. I want to make sure I don't have to go back into it after it's all back together.

jake74

Reaction score
Pulled lid of of hpop and looks like it has updated stc fitting but not sure.
image_zpsxlbcjjhb.jpg

Also took turbo apart and the vgt was stuck.There's some pitting but going to clean it really good and hope for the best.
image_zpscqfsbzrj.jpg

Last edited:

Dieselmore

Reaction score
That fitting is the updated stc fitting. The pitting is normal, if you have access to a sand blast cabinet, clean the turbine housing, and vanes. Inspect unison ring for irregular wear and replace as needed

jake74

Reaction score
That fitting is the updated stc fitting. The pitting is normal, if you have access to a sand blast cabinet, clean the turbine housing, and vanes. Inspect unison ring for irregular wear and replace as needed

Thanks. I have a blast cabinet and was going to use it to clean exhaust housing but wasn't sure about blasting the vanes. Is it ok to blast the vanes?

Ford_Fan1

Reaction score
^I personally wouldn't blast the vanes. Take a scotchbrite pad on a die grinder to polish the top and bottom edges of the vanes should be good enough. after you are done cleaning everything up, take a really thin coating of high temp nickle anti-seize to all surfaces-or another option that ford recomends is using engine oil (either one works- but you definitely should do one or the other to prevent rust from forming again.)

79jasper

Reaction score
But if he wasn't using a course blast material, say like soda, wouldn't that be fine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jake74

Reaction score
I getting closer. Maybe I'll finish up and get cab set back on tomorrow.

Heads surfaced,valves ground and pressure tested.
image_zpst9dzeysq.jpg

New oem water pump.
image_zpslegbrdp3.jpg

Block clean and studs installed.320 grit sand paper and wd40 on machined flat steel block. Pic makes it look shiner than it is. Took very little sanding to get it cleaned up. Couldn't get a .003 feeler gauge under the straight edge anywhere on the deck surface.
image_zps9zo9pbl8.jpg

Getting ready for new oem oil cooler.
image_zpszp6gupug.jpg

image_zpsyxm2xwyf.jpg

Assembled and ready to install.
image_zpst0wyzghv.jpg

Getting closer. Pulled all the studs to 240ftlb. Shoulder was popping as much as the torque wrench by the end.
image_zpslxhldasv.jpg

image_zpslgjxuygw.jpg

image_zpskvzqti6z.jpg

image_zps6pby0b61.jpg

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I don't know about that. If ARP says no retorqing required I'd stick with their specs. Don't think your going to hurt anything besides the chances of re using them if for any reason of had to remove them

kwelch08

Reaction score
To the OP since you have the turbo torn apart maybe look into some of kc turbos DIY build kits. Off the top of my head I think they have a stage 1.5 and a stage 2. Just a thought bud

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jake74

Reaction score
I hope I never need to reuse them lol.
I did put rtv in rear corners of hpop cover.
Hope to get cab back on by this evening sometime. Then cross my fingers I didn't forget or do something wrong putting it together and light her off.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Pulled lid of of hpop and looks like it has updated stc fitting but not sure.
image_zpsxlbcjjhb.jpg

Also took turbo apart and the vgt was stuck.There's some pitting but going to clean it really good and hope for the best.
image_zpscqfsbzrj.jpg
I always used brown and green scotch brite roloc discs on a 45 die grinder. Cleaned up the vanes the ring and both sides of the turbo. Worked great

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online