Hey Big Rig Guys!

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
IMG_20131014_161242_64

Reaction score
These are a few more pics of what I have done. That old Ford L8000 grossed me at 88K. We never did a whole lot of super heavy stuff unless it was a cotton machine out of Des Moines or a load like that going back to the Midwest so we could get back to Deere.

Ah you one of those dedicated Deere boys?

Milford

Reaction score
Yeah I use to be. I got a local job driving a concrete truck back in April. I miss the hell out of TMC though! That was one fun job and really cool stuff to pull behind that nice Pete!

sniper_101

Reaction score
Holset HE551V is leaking oil from the VGT actuator rod. Anyone ever rebuild one of these turbos? Tips? (06' Cummins ESX 435 ST)

Ours is leaking, and if I can rebuild it and save the boss $2k we'll both be happy. Local truck parts place said they don't make a rebuild, but that can't be.

Anyone?

OBS F350

Reaction score
Holset HE551V is leaking oil from the VGT actuator rod. Anyone ever rebuild one of these turbos? Tips? (06' Cummins ESX 435 ST)

Ours is leaking, and if I can rebuild it and save the boss $2k we'll both be happy. Local truck parts place said they don't make a rebuild, but that can't be.

Anyone?

I've taken them off to diag VGT issues and if it's leaking out of the rod I think you're SOL it's been a few months but I don't think there's really anything you could do.

sniper_101

Reaction score
No oil on compressor side of the turbo, play seems normal. Cummins said they sell a seal kit for the actuator rod leak, but no rebuild, so I'll dive into that this week.

Now we have a fuel pressure issue. Extended cranking, hard lope at idle. Changed both fuel filters with no luck, but did notice a leak in the fuel return line, leak somewhere in/around the lift pump and a strange sounding lift pump...

I really miss running an N14, lol.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
My cousin's petercar hauling straw. Heavy spec 2005 379 3406 set at 550hp, 18 speed, double frame, 44k rears. I had a picture of it hooked to the lowboy but I can't seem to find it...

Attachments

• KingandKingPete.jpg
    KingandKingPete.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 78

duddy

Reaction score
No oil on compressor side of the turbo, play seems normal. Cummins said they sell a seal kit for the actuator rod leak, but no rebuild, so I'll dive into that this week.

Now we have a fuel pressure issue. Extended cranking, hard lope at idle. Changed both fuel filters with no luck, but did notice a leak in the fuel return line, leak somewhere in/around the lift pump and a strange sounding lift pump...

I really miss running an N14, lol.
It is not that bad of a fix, that had just started to be done when I left the local cummins shop. I can call a friend and get some more info if you need it.

Is your lope issue at idle just after startup or all of the time? As far as a leak by the fuel pump at the top of the fuel setup, there are two orings that seal the pump to the manifold, and a seal, that is part of that whole setup, that seals the drive gear to the to head for camshaft access. Fuel pump is easy, just the 4 allen head bolts and its off. If the supply oring is worn out it could be sucking some air causing your problem. If you do take the pump off, the truck may start hard and have a nasty knock, but this is normal due to that once air gets into the head there is no escape route, except through the injector.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah I would much rather be pulling rgn over the flatbed but barely ever see any in the area I'm in. Only have seen one other tmc truck in the state so far.

sniper_101

Reaction score
It is not that bad of a fix, that had just started to be done when I left the local cummins shop. I can call a friend and get some more info if you need it.

Is your lope issue at idle just after startup or all of the time? As far as a leak by the fuel pump at the top of the fuel setup, there are two orings that seal the pump to the manifold, and a seal, that is part of that whole setup, that seals the drive gear to the to head for camshaft access. Fuel pump is easy, just the 4 allen head bolts and its off. If the supply oring is worn out it could be sucking some air causing your problem. If you do take the pump off, the truck may start hard and have a nasty knock, but this is normal due to that once air gets into the head there is no escape route, except through the injector.

I appreciate the offer, but don't waste your time on it. I was going to call Pittsburgh Power/PDI tomorrow anyway and investigate a new turbo. Thanks though.

New lift/transfer pump cured the lope/starting issue.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Anyone happen know if the turbo controller/module can be bypassed with a programmer on an 05' ISX?

Just thinking out loud.

duddy

Reaction score
Anyone happen know if the turbo controller/module can be bypassed with a programmer on an 05' ISX?

Is the goal a little more power? There is a easier way to do it. Potentiometer and hooking into the fuel pressure sensor, seemed to work really well, not sure on what numbers it got. Driver says it is very noticeable tho.

sniper_101

Reaction score
The seal for the pressure relief valve is randomly leaking like mad (on the VGT controller/"D-con" unit). No one offers a rebuild, and the little I can gather on those who attempted to rebuild it haven't had the greatest luck with it lasting.

The parameters of the VGT control on this thing is ridiculous; sometimes 20lbs of boost, then 38lbs the next stab of the throttle. For no rhyme or reason. And we pull 138,000 with it...

So I'm just weighing options of:
- either removing the module, if the engine will operate as normal without it, and run the VGT in a "fixed" position. However I doubt the engine will run normally without it connected.

- looking into a tuner/programmer that can run without it (D-con)

- when the stock HE55 gives out, which is imminent, I'd like to replace it with a standard fixed turbo. So the VGT controller/module will be useless anyway...

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to add? I haven't had much time lately to do much research into these ideas yet so bare with me.

Latest posts

Members online