I need some advice from the 6.0 guys

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Also, my coolant never got above 185* and when I'd stop at a light it would drop to around 170*. My oil never got above 199* and that's where it usually stays.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Head gaskets are blown, coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber and burning off creating the white smoke.
Research 6.0 problems and youll find all the info your looking for.

But real quik in a nutshell you need to pony up for
Egr delete
Head studs (u alrdy have)
Another set if head gaskets
Heads pressure checked and machined flat
New oil cooler
Coolant filter system
Hpop stc fitting
Updated stand pipe and dummy plugs
Updated fuel pressure spring

Thats just the basic standard supporting mods a lot of 6.0's need to stay alive on the factory tune. Your blowing coolant so your truck fits in this category.

Research some on the best way to go about the oil cooler change before you have it done, there is a lot of new info out lately on whether to change it right away after a coolant flush or let it clog up before replacing it.

Oh and change your thermostat, that will Probly bring your coolant temps up to where they should be but itll bring your oil temps up higher also most likely.

Dealerships wont delete the egr so continuing to take the truck to a dealer will continue to bring you zero results in fixing the problems. The egr needs to either get gone or get replaced with a bulleproof egr cooler.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Ok. Everything besides the dummy plugs and stand pipes has been/will be done. My friend at the dealership is doing the delete for me. They just started pulling the motor apart yesterday. Heads should be back Monday eve. I'm kinda nervous about what they will find. I did purchase a new thermostat and asked them to put it in. I will be doing the dummy plugs and stand pipes myself. I did look up the issues I've been having and I have read so many different things/horror stories, so that's why I asked. Thanks for the feed back. I will update when I hear something

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Yall can say what you want..... 5000 miles and the HGs are gone.... on a little baby tune.Ummmm yeah I'm taking it back. Wouldn't be the first time the stealer ship half assed something and hung the customer with it.

why would you take it back for more sub-par work? :confused:

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I'm taking it to a very good tech. Not the place that did the work before I bought the truck. I had no say in where they took it before I bought it.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Hopefully your heads are fine, thats a crap shoot. My truck was beat on hard, mech said it wouldn't have lasted much longer by the looks if things. Heads where solid tho and pressure checked fine. As with any other motor as long as it wasnt repeatedly over heated or in the case of the 6.0 over boosted your heads should be Ok.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I hope so. It was an older guy that owned the truck before me and he took very good care of the truck. Hope that's what saves me on these heads

black'n'blue

Reaction score
So I got my truck back from Ford finally. Not that it was in for a long time, but I was getting tired of only having the civic for transportation. The heads were sent out to a local machine shop and no cracks, but the did have to take a lil off to flatten them. Around .005". The tech installed arp studs and did an EGR delete while it was in there. Everything cost me around $700. That includes studs, EGR delete, and having the heads fluxed and flattened. Pretty good price if you ask me. Everything was covered under warranty. The tech said that he thinks the problem was due to the heads not being flat when the work was done 5000 miles ago. I got lucky this time. Next on the list is a 6" 4 link and getting my 325/55/r22 Pirelli scorpion atr's mounted on m y rims and she'll be done until i save up some more cash. Thanks for the input guys.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
db25c23be52b0016c1ea48f041b3e995.jpg

Nice to have it back in the driveway, drivable that is

Last edited:

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Nice truck.
Watch you coolant and oil temps and save up some loot for a new oil cooler and coolant filtration system just in case. Sux but youll need it eventually.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
So to bring this thread back up is sickening. I have about 2,500 miles on the new hg's, studs, resurfaced heads, and EGR delete. Guess what, pissing coolant out of the degas bottle again. Used the block tester last night and the results were that I have combustion gases in the cooling system. Any thoughts? Possible cracked Heads? I just hope the block is flat. What could cause the uneven surface on a block?

Stroked777

Reaction score
A lot can cause a block to not be flat. Believe it or not but studs them selves put alotnof force on a block and can twist the block that way, even making big power can distort a block

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I would be lying if I told you that I knew how the block was prepped or if the tech that did the work did in fact apply the right amount of torque too the bolts because I was not there when he did it. With that said, I went to this guy because of his great reputation. I trust him to work on my truck because he's the best in my area. I did some tests of my own before I called him about the truck pissing out of the degas bottle. One being the block tester and the other being the bubble test. I had no bubbles coming out of the degas bottle while the truck was warmed up and idling at 750rpms. When I turned on the high idle switch, I had a small amount of bubbling, prob around 1 bubble every 2 secs. Once I unplugged the turbo, the bubbles stopped. When I had it in for the hg's originally, I had him install a blocked off EGR. With the EGR blocked off and running innovative's tune which turns off the EGR valve, what do my findings mean? Bad EGR, ie. Leaking weld? Or is it a pointless test because the EGR is blocked?

Latest posts

Members online