Intake

calidies

Reaction score
I've heard that the K&N intakes aren't good for turbo diesels because they tend to get a bunch of dirt and what not in the turbo... I've been looking at AFE or S&B but I'm not entirely sure.. I'm pretty stock so HP isn't an issue. I'd prefer not to so the 6637 as I'm clueless on how I'd even do that. I lack a lot of experience

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
6637 is easy. You can even buy a kit with everything you need.
I think I've heard better things about the s&b than the afe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4duggan

Reaction score
I'd prefer not to so the 6637 as I'm clueless on how I'd even do that. I lack a lot of experience

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Army .
That's where you start getting some . Buy the Riff-Raff kit and start getting to know your truck .

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
I bought mine through tymar but the riff-raff kit 4 Duggan mentioned is the same set up, much cheaper than the s&b or afe and the install is the same just unbolt you stock plastics and throw the new boot, elbow and filter on and you're on the road. I also like the 6637 cause you can get a new filter at Napa so you don't have to spend extra time searching for a local shop with s&b fliters or order it online everytime.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
100_3324.jpg

calidies

Reaction score
PVC would work just fine correct? How does it sound in comparison to other intakes

calidies

Reaction score
Also should I go with Pete's or riff raff

old man dave

Reaction score
The generic 6637 may not be treated for moisture resistance, this may be what causes the poor moisture performance The Donaldson B085011 is treated to be water resistant. The Donaldson element was the original filter used in the Tymar setup as developed by Dale Isley, the other substitute elements may not have the same specifications.

I and my buddies have used a lot of the Donaldson B085011s without any problems or damage.

PVC pipe fittings have a much smaller internal diameter than the preferred 4" exhaust pipe bends used in most setups. About the same degree of difficulty for installing either the steel exhaust bends or plastic.

If you have difficulty installing a Tymar style intake, you probably would have a problem installing the box intakes. Either one is not very hard to install.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The generic 6637 may not be treated for moisture resistance, this may be what causes the poor moisture performance The Donaldson B085011 is treated to be water resistant. The Donaldson element was the original filter used in the Tymar setup as developed by Dale Isley, the other substitute elements may not have the same specifications.

I and my buddies have used a lot of the Donaldson B085011s without any problems or damage.

PVC pipe fittings have a much smaller internal diameter than the preferred 4" exhaust pipe bends used in most setups. About the same degree of difficulty for installing either the steel exhaust bends or plastic.

If you have difficulty installing a Tymar style intake, you probably would have a problem installing the box intakes. Either one is not very hard to install.

I used the actual Donaldson B0805011, and not the 6637. That is the one I had issues with. Lasted about a year, then there was obvious water damage to it. Near the outside edge of the paper, closest to the fender.

old man dave

Reaction score
I used the actual Donaldson B0805011, and not the 6637. That is the one I had issues with. Lasted about a year, then there was obvious water damage to it. Near the outside edge of the paper, closest to the fender.

I wonder if that has anything to do with you having an SD and I have a OBS? I used to drive 120 miles a day rain or shine so I changed mine about once a year.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I wonder if that has anything to do with you having an SD and I have a OBS? I used to drive 120 miles a day rain or shine so I changed mine about once a year.
We had one on the OBS, but it's been gone for 6 years now. Never had an issue.

I've been running them on SDs, EXs, and a 12v for the last decade with no issues as well. I used to commute 75 miles a day and still run 500 miles most weeks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

Maybe so. I used to have a picture of the filter showing water damage on it. For the life of me, I cannot find it now.

JCart

Reaction score
When I took out the stock air box bottom I replaced it with a flat piece of Lexan (anything would work), for the 6637 to rest on. This prevents the fender lining from getting beat up over time. As my white truck doesn't have a a bracket to hold the filter, it just rests on the Lexan. Lexan is attached to stock holes of the original air filter box, so far work good.

j

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.