Knock Knock, *** Me

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I could, but bottom end warranty would be out the window from this point on. Not only that, but at what point do you draw the line? I wouldn't personally throw in fancy rods unless I could pull out all the stops on a full build. I like where this is headed anyway. Upgraded turbo, and everything internal stock. This combo should run great for a very long time with a little common sense on the throttle. When that gets boring, build a nice short block and trans, then drop them, along with all the bolt-ons in at that time.

Regarding the warranty; The cause of this motor's failure had nothing to do with power output. it spun either #3 or #7 rod bearing, and it's match on the journal failed. Probable cause is insufficient bearing crush, allowing it to spin. Funny thing is, this was never a problem on the old power strokes back when they had bearing locator tabs, but that's a discussion for somewhere else. 3 & 7 rods got roached, and the crank has pretty deep grooves there. aside from trash passed into them, adjacent rod bearings look flawless. Erik's got great service records including full synthetic 5w40 in the last 20k+ miles. Top end looks great. No extended pulse width burn marks on the pistons either. It's not my call, but I see no reason to pull warranty when there are no signs of abuse. Seems to me that not honoring the warranty here would be like not covering the radiator because it has traction bars. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, If its a ford defect Ford should stand behind it regardless. When you have a bottom end failure on anything other than a stock truck its hard to justify whether or not it should be warranty. This is obviously you and the dealerships call. I am not looking at the parts but it appears that this might have happened even to a stock truck... so I'm good with it. I am just stating that he has gone to great lengths knowing the truck has been modified.

Thanks for tangible info Wayne... mucho helpful

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Well then Dustin tell me what great lengths I have gone to. It got towed to a dealer, they said we wont touch it. Ok, I told Wayne it blew up and described the issue, he said get it here we will take care of it. Now how is that going to great lengths knowing its modified??

morepower02

Reaction score
Well then Dustin tell me what great lengths I have gone to. It got towed to a dealer, they said we wont touch it. Ok, I told Wayne it blew up and described the issue, he said get it here we will take care of it. Now how is that going to great lengths knowing its modified??

By running a modified engine thru factory ford warranty I am assuming.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

so he said they'll warranty it , not even knowing what caused it , or he got the report from the other dealership ?

we all know what's right and wrong , if you blow your **** up because of the modifications , you should pay for it, but not every case is that way. if it's pretty obvious it was a bottom end failure that wasnt a rod bending, it's probably not a tuning issue, unless there was an oil / service issue.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
so he said they'll warranty it , not even knowing what caused it , or he got the report from the other dealership ?

we all know what's right and wrong , if you blow your **** up because of the modifications , you should pay for it, but not every case is that way. if it's pretty obvious it was a bottom end failure that wasnt a rod bending, it's probably not a tuning issue, unless there was an oil / service issue.

Exactly, Wayne already said that. All I asked the other dealership to do was tell me what happened. They said they siezed it by running it after I told them the codes set. I told them I have to figure out wth I am doing next, I will come and pick it up. I asked about warantee and they said they won't touch it. I said ok, I am coming tomorrow. All they did was cut the filter open and inform me about metal in the filter.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Some of that may not make sense but all Im doing is being truthful. I am not out to pull one over on Ford. If its my fault then I eat it, plain and simple.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
So if the bearings have insufficient crush what is the fix or just go back with a oem bearing and hope for better luck. Maybe it didn't have enough oil pressure at low rpm to keep the rod off the crank.

morepower02

Reaction score
So the dealer and Ford are cool with it being modified?

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score

Great lengths would be hauling it 1500 miles to a dealership that would touch it. I would have locked my wounds and had the cab off that weekend but that's me.

I got stuffed on a legit warranty claim for ford on a fuel system that had nothing wrong other than a bad VCV valve in the pump... just how it goes.

Unfortunately most dealers won't tear down and try to find a true root cause. Sounds like Wayne offered that to you. I still feel it's a risk you take when you decide to ****** and tune especially with the fragile rods in these engines.

Wayne did you a solid that's for sure.

04cr450

Reaction score
^a lot of dealers(2 by me) are perfectly fine with ******d 6.7's with tunes... They will know when the engine is covered under warranty when the tech opens up the engine ie: abuse.
That is the way it should be- i baby my truck, if this happened to my engine and i fully service it on schedule, warranty should still cover it in my opinion. These rods are not that brittle come on... most of us run stock turbos, popular ******d tunes which are for the most part safe. All is the right foot.

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Great lengths would be hauling it 1500 miles to a dealership that would touch it. I would have locked my wounds and had the cab off that weekend but that's me.

I got stuffed on a legit warranty claim for ford on a fuel system that had nothing wrong other than a bad VCV valve in the pump... just how it goes.

Unfortunately most dealers won't tear down and try to find a true root cause. Sounds like Wayne offered that to you. I still feel it's a risk you take when you decide to ****** and tune especially with the fragile rods in these engines.

Wayne did you a solid that's for sure.

Well sorry to disappoint, I bought it from them they offered to cover it. Plain and simple, if thats going to great lengths IDGaF. I hauled it 750 miles. would never haul it 1500 for this crap.

Sorry you got ***ed from a dealer not willing to cover stuff that wasn't your fault. Find a new dealer

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Way I see it is the warranty is there to cover the vehicle as it was manufactured and left the dealer. That being said you better believe if a dealer is willing to cover something that may otherwise not be covered I'm going to take full advantage of that and would expect any of you guys to do the same. Erik has a pretty good rep and I don't see any wrong doing on his part and Wayne is obviously a solid dude. So at the end of the day it's a good guy catching a break that's well deserved so what's so wrong with that?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Notbing.. in all reality all dealers should do that but there is a risk involved with that. If they say it's warranty and ford comes back and denies the claim it's on the dealer at that point. So it's easier for them to just say no.
Be careful how you state take advantage of... I would say they were willing to find a root cause moreso then other dealers would. Now if they would have warrantied something shady I would be upset with all parties involved. Erik and I have talked and he's made it clear that he would have paid if needed. Wayne wasn't involved either the dealership did this all on their own to take care of a customer so good on them.

My dealer wouldn't have even come close... and they are the true crooks

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Notbing.. in all reality all dealers should do that but there is a risk involved with that. If they say it's warranty and ford comes back and denies the claim it's on the dealer at that point. So it's easier for them to just say no.
Be careful how you state take advantage of... I would say they were willing to find a root cause moreso then other dealers would. Now if they would have warrantied something shady I would be upset with all parties involved. Erik and I have talked and he's made it clear that he would have paid if needed. Wayne wasn't involved either the dealership did this all on their own to take care of a customer so good on them.

My dealer wouldn't have even come close... and they are the true crooks

Yea there's no doubt in my mind he would have taken care of it if it was deemed something he did caused it. I guess I shouldnt have worded it as taking advantage of the dealer. I just meant if x dealer says we aren't going to do anything for you and I call xx dealer, explain my situation, and they say they should be able to take care of me you bet your azz I'm hauling that sucker up there. I'm just glad it's getting taken care of, that's a gut wrenching feeling when things go boom.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of that may not make sense but all Im doing is being truthful. I am not out to pull one over on Ford. If its my fault then I eat it, plain and simple.

like i said if its in the short block , you didn't cause it unless you fouled the oil somehow . many a truck have the same setup as you without issue so i doubt mods had anything to do with it. you've paid your dues 10x over and we all know you have the money to fix it if so .

Wayne

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something, but being willing to look into the possibility of warranty when others won't should be considered a win for truck owners IMO. Everybody I work with in situations like this know up front that abuse is not covered, and it's not a guarantee of warranty just because I'm working on it.

You guys might be surprised at how much non warranty work we do on new trucks inside their warranty period. Most situations regard fuel contamination. Just last week we had one of our highest volume/best customers come in with a truck that hasn't even had it's first oil change. An employee put def in the wrong tank, and boom! Completely new fuel system on a truck with probably at least 5 extra hours on the bill for all the wiring a bucket truck with all the bells and whistles needs. If the service manager submits a fraudulent claim, the dealership eats the whole bill, and an auditor can come in to look at whatever they want, as closely as they want, and charge back anything that wasn't perfectly executed. Unfortunately a lot of dealerships aren't willing to give people a shot.

A little over a year ago Erik told me he was looking for a VERY specific truck, and had been given a really good price to have one built to order. The dealership I work at happened to have that exact truck already at an even lower price, so he made the drive. When the truck died, he called for my opinion on how to handle it. I offered, and a shot at repairs under warranty with someone he trusts to fix it anyway if it's outside of warranty was worth the drive.

Shoot, most of the serious guys on this forum who don't do their own work take their trucks a lot farther than 750 miles to have it done the way they want when their truck needs major surgery. Too bad this had to turn into a big fight about nothing but hopefully it's been educational.

cappa

Reaction score
Good on you man. We need more dealers like you around. The real tragedy in my opinion is the crap dealers that try to completely void your warranty as soon as they see something as small as an intake. If the mods didn't directly cause the failure it should be covered imho.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Well said Wayne. It is unfortunate most dealers won't do that. Ford really encourages their techs to follow steps a-f to solve a problem rather than look at it subjectively to see the cause of failure. I have see the book for fuel system issues. It's very cut and dry. No grey area for the technician to make a decision. Sure they might get away with it but you give ford one bad case and they will fine out on the assumption you have done it 100 times

Mike I think Erik is out of money by now... blue truck... say no more