Knock Knock, *** Me

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, on injection pumps, any evidence of rust in the system is automatic denial of warranty. It's the owner's responsibility to keep the fuel clean. A while back, we had a customer bring in their 6 month old truck with low miles for a "warranty" wiring harness repair. A rodent chewed through the battery cable insulation and a bunch of pcm wiring. They expected us to cover it. well, you can guess how that went. What a lot of people don't realize is how many of these incidents are covered under comprehensive insurance policies. We tell customers to be straight up with their insurance, and explain it was a simple mistake when they grabbed the green bp fuel nozzle, and filled their truck up with gas, thinking it was diesel, or their wife, who never filled up the def before thought it went into the fuel tank. If any of you get in a situation like those, you can expect your insurance just might cover it. One of the craziest ones we had was a brand new lincoln an old guy bought, and parked in his garage for the winter. Only 500 miles on the thing, and when he went to start it 2 months after parking it, it would die after like 3 seconds. come to find out, some little critter filled the entire muffler with dog food. When the car was first started, it basically melted it into a solid mass, completely plugging off the exhaust. Good luck getting that warrantied, but a lot of insurance policies will take care of it.

04cr450

Reaction score
Great info^ thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
What is your opinion on this motor failure such as what happened to eriks truck? Think this is a fluke or is this goi ng to show itself as time goes on to unfortunate 6.7 owners.

Wayne

Reaction score
We do see it now and then, but less frequent on newer ones. To put it in perspective, the 6.7 has been out since early '10. That's almost 8 years production; more than the 6.0 and 6.4 combined. There's a huge amount of these 6.7's on the road, so when we see a problem like this only once every 3-5 months, I'd consider it very minor, especially with how bad some of the local ranch hands beat on them.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Personally I feel ford had an issue with their PcV valves having rust from the factory or storage.
My truck has never had a water I fuel light. I use the transfer tank with a water separator to fill the main tank and I have never had water come out of either filter.
Had codes and no power took it to the dealer. They mis diagnosed it as a pvc issue pulled the valve and found rust. I got denied warranty obviously. Took the truck on a trailer. Put a pcv in it and it didn't fix it. Put a vcv in it and it ran fine. The vcv valve was clean no rust. Truck has been running fine for 25000 miles.

I did swap to a striker pump after that but Morgan said my pump looked brand new.

Too me that whole deal was bulb**** and I provided service records ect. Over changing fuel filters blah blah blah. It's whatever but I lost all faith in ford warranty and service after that. I don't even take my wife's truck in for ththe "free" oil changes that the truck came with.

Diezel_Dawg

Reaction score
FYI, Ford has a complete list of approved CK-4 oils that can be used on the trucks. CJ-4 is being phased out and will stop being produced in the very near future. I have attached the list, if it doesn't work, you can find the list on the motorcraft website.

Ford initially came out and said no CK-4 oils were approved, but last month produced a lengthy list of approved CK-4s

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Attachments

• dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 315

Jomax

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about this honestly, Erik just seems to get all the Friday trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Starting in 2015 Ford began using a new polymer coating on the main bearings. Think that could be the cause.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Well said Wayne. It is unfortunate most dealers won't do that. Ford really encourages their techs to follow steps a-f to solve a problem rather than look at it subjectively to see the cause of failure. I have see the book for fuel system issues. It's very cut and dry. No grey area for the technician to make a decision. Sure they might get away with it but you give ford one bad case and they will fine out on the assumption you have done it 100 times

Mike I think Erik is out of money by now... blue truck... say no more

Thats a fact......

Reaction score
Has it happened to any stock motors prior to 2015? Maybe just rebuilt high hp early motors and then the new polymer coated 2015+.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Tsb out on new oils not meeting demands of ford engines.

Damage could have happened long before failure. Low end torque can hurt bearings and not The top end

I doubt the CK4 oils would cause this. And I believe Ford is backing off of their claims. There's a lot more to that whole deal. But the claim was excessive wear not necessarily failure modes. Fuel dilution could cause this though. I would have pulled a sample and had it tested just to have extra info and possibly leverage.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I doubt the CK4 oils would cause this. And I believe Ford is backing off of their claims. There's a lot more to that whole deal. But the claim was excessive wear not necessarily failure modes. Fuel dilution could cause this though. I would have pulled a sample and had it tested just to have extra info and possibly leverage.

Knowing what we have seen about this engine there was most likely a crush issue with the bearings. Fuel dilution would have been obvious on all rods and mains not just 3 of them.