Madmans build thread

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Congrats on the awesome numbers! That baby looks like a beast for sure and that sweet sweet sound of those turbos! Haha! Can't wait to see how she does with the new turbo!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Each volute is fed by one bank of the engine. Spool up is way better with divided. If your curious read up on twin scroll. More or less the same thing.

Thanks (to you and Jared) for clarifying. On a "normal" (i.e. single scroll) turbo setup, does a divided housing hurt spool up or do I just have that backwards? Based on what I read from Garrett, this turbo housing is specifically designed to be a divided housing to efficiently use the exhaust pulses.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Thanks (to you and Jared) for clarifying. On a "normal" (i.e. single scroll) turbo setup, does a divided housing hurt spool up or do I just have that backwards? Based on what I read from Garrett, this turbo housing is specifically designed to be a divided housing to efficiently use the exhaust pulses.

Disregard my question, I found the answer I was looking for.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So the truck has been in storage all winter so no progress has been done or changed. Getting ready to get it out. Time for a quick change of the filters and oil. Possibly take the trans apart to see how the clutches look, although it has no symptoms of failure.

My wonderful fiance surprised me with some caltracs a few days ago. I'm glad she supports this hobby and we can enjoy it together.

Also, I have decided not to put the gt3582r on the truck. After reviewing the compressor maps of that charger and a gtx3582r, the gtx appears to like making a little more boost, which is what I'm trying to do to clean up some smoke. I bought a new t4 turbine housing for it and sold the tial, so I'll be selling the gt3582r without an exhaust housing and will be buying a gtx sometime in the near future. Another noted issue is that the 4718 turbo is pretty old school, and the general consensus I've gotten is that they aren't very efficient due to the smaller turbine housing. I've heard great things about the gt50 series turbos and may eventually sell my 4718 for the 88mm equivalent of the gt50 series. Or the 91mm, who knows. That's long down the road. An engine build may even be before that.

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 90

madman1234509

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Another nice thing about your set up Randall is you can upgrade your turbos to gtx versions with no modification to anything besides the turbo swap and potentially gain a bit a power. The gtx version of the 3582 looks to flow a good but more.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
That will be awesome but I'm wondering how much bigger I'd be able to go on the atmosphere charger. They are both mounted in the valley so idk how much room there will be for a bigger charger. I'm sure these will suffice for this truck anyway though. I'll get me something else to make fast one day that doesn't weight 8k lol

madman1234509

Reaction score
I hear ya on the weight thing. I've thought a lot about buying a single cab and making a complete swap to have a lighter truck to run at the strip. But then I get thinking about how fun it is to be able to pile my friends in my loaded truck and drive wherever with it. Maybe in a few years.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
The 82mm Precision in my setup is based off of a GT42 Garrett so you could always go that route.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Found this in a Diesel World Magazine that a co-worker left in my mailbox at work. He had no idea it was in there, just had some magazines and knew I liked diesel trucks haha. Pretty cool. I've never had any recognition for something like this.

Attachments

• 0322152031a.jpg
    0322152031a.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 128