MTW going for broke!! Track day

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Actually what happen was that I wasn't happy with way truck was running so I removed the intake and installed the 6.4 converted to 6.0 intake. It took longer then I thought, also had to build three turbos and send out, to customers. By the time I finished it was 9:30 and track closed at 10:00, no way I was going to make it. Here's what I had to do for the intake, block the coolant passage on water pump housing, reroute the egr cooler antifreeze, fabracate cac tube from intercooler to intake elbow, tap all holes for sensors and water meth. After I was done I ran the truck but the tune needed adjusted, I was going to get Eric to send one but was going on a mini vacation so I was waiting until I got back.

I sent Eric some ideas I had to tune the turbo and combo I have and he wrote me a tune to try, I was planning on going to TSD and have Chris live time since truck just not running the way it should. I still may go to TSD, but I put the tune in that Eric sent me and it is really close to what I expect the truck to run like. That being said I plan on hitting the track Thursday night to get some numbers. I hope to hit some good numbers, truck is really strong, it feels like it should hit 12's and maybe 110mph in the 1/4 trapspeed. Of course fuel only, truck can get to 60mph in less than 100ft or there abouts now to should be able to hit 110. Anyone else have any guess, on trap speed?

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
Actually what happen was that I wasn't happy with way truck was running so I removed the intake and installed the 6.4 converted to 6.0 intake. It took longer then I thought, also had to build three turbos and send out, to customers. By the time I finished it was 9:30 and track closed at 10:00, no way I was going to make it. Here's what I had to do for the intake, block the coolant passage on water pump housing, reroute the egr cooler antifreeze, fabracate cac tube from intercooler to intake elbow, tap all holes for sensors and water meth. After I was done I ran the truck but the tune needed adjusted, I was going to get Eric to send one but was going on a mini vacation so I was waiting until I got back.

I sent Eric some ideas I had to tune the turbo and combo I have and he wrote me a tune to try, I was planning on going to TSD and have Chris live time since truck just not running the way it should. I still may go to TSD, but I put the tune in that Eric sent me and it is really close to what I expect the truck to run like. That being said I plan on hitting the track Thursday night to get some numbers. I hope to hit some good numbers, truck is really strong, it feels like it should hit 12's and maybe 110mph in the 1/4 trapspeed. Of course fuel only, truck can get to 60mph in less than 100ft or there abouts now to should be able to hit 110. Anyone else have any guess, on trap speed?

I'm sure it takes way more then 100' to get to 60mph....

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I went from one entry at Wal-Mart to the other, not sure the distance, it is possibly mote than 100 feet. Truck is running really strong, how strong I will see at the track. I want it to hit at least 109.8 trap speed which would put me at about 680rwhp, truck weighed with me in it at 7600 lbs, half tank of fuel. That's the goal to shoot for but if it goes more than great. Either way I love the way the truck runs with this tune, I also had Eric write me a street tune for every day use. I will run the truck with both to see the difference.

The weather looks good, but will be very hot about 90degrees and humid, that will hit some horsepower for sure. There's a lot riding on the numbers I get, if numbers are good I will tell everyone the next mad things I have planned.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
:lookaround:

Hello, Marty thanks for chiming in, sorry about the past, I was totally in the wrong. That what I got for listening to a certain person about guys on this forum. I hope to have some track times tomorrow for you and the rest of the guys on here, been a long time since anyone has put down a track time with a MTW turbo on their truck, and a big MTW turbo to boot.

I will let the numbers speak for the turbo, so lets see what it will do.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Track update:::

I finally got to the track and ran. It was a touch and go since at last minute I had a antifreeze leak. I had to fix it or the tech might not have let me run, turned out to be the band clamp, replaced it with a regular clamp and all was good. Ran the truck on the way to the track and seemed ok, runs really strong when the turbo comes on.

Ok so what was the times and speed, the truck with fuel and me in it weighed in a 7725lbs, that is street trim spare and all. The best ET I could get was 13.2, and best trap speed was at 106.20, 0-60 foot time 2.6-2.4.
Plug those number in and horespower is 628rwhp, not what I expected at all, was hoping for better.

The truck still needs some tuning and I need more seat time at the track. I'm not ower of a diesel shop or work at one so I have a learning curve for sure, I don't have much experiance in building diesel trucks either, just a guy that had some turbo knowledge, and put what I learned about jet engines with a lot of research on Garrett turbo charges. I also used some of airflow tech, used for velocity and such.

I have the up most respect for guys in this diesel industry, and racing these trucks. I have in my own way made more options out there for 6.0 powerstroke turbos. I'm also a bit of a hard head so I will continue to work on getting a combination that will work.

So what do I think is wrong, no sure, the truck won't enough build boost on the line with the brakes held, that's why the 0-60 foot times are so bad. I can hit 7psi of boost then when I let the brakes loose, truck falls on face untill the turbo lites off then hang on. I ran smaller VGT turbo and didn't have the problem, but the bigger VGT does. The big VGT seems to act like a non vgt, and vgt, so tuning has to be played with. I also think that stall on convert needs to be played with. I will be getting a live tune to make this turbo snap off the way it should, and bring the RWHP where they should be. I will take a video of the truck's speedo on how it runs and you can see what I'm talking about, I also will put some video wife took of me running the track.

Thanks and sorry for the let down, still need more work, but the turbo is running great 6 passes and the truck is holding strong, 50 psi of boost and the black diamond head gaskets, no o-ring still good to go.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Your 60 is killing you for sure. You drop half a second off that your under 12.5. Don't quote me but i believe briar had similiar boost problems on the line

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Thanks and sorry for the let down, still need more work, but the turbo is running great 6 passes and the truck is holding strong, 50 psi of boost and the black diamond head gaskets, no o-ring still good to go.

Haha no need to be sorry, I plan on a MTW stage 1 or 2 in the near future, since I've only heard great things about your products. Keep up the good work!:rockon:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Your 60 is killing you for sure. You drop half a second off that your under 12.5. Don't quote me but i believe briar had similiar boost problems on the line

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I agree the 60 is bad but the speed is off, should be higher. I had a crazy day worked on truck to get it ready after 5hrs of sleep, hit the track and then went into work for late night shift. When I got off work about 30 minutes ago I loaded a time that Eric sent me extreme street, the truck actually ran better. He kept the same as the race tune except removed so fuel. It's hard to run down the track and keep an eye on the gauges, but this morning I hit the throttle and noticed egt's went high to 1700, but I also noticed that my icp voltage will only hold 2.7 now. I need to see what is happing maybe something, o rings, HPOP, is bleeding off and not giving me the high pressure oil I need in the rails. The truck did run stronger when I first put tune in, but since beating it hard the first day I have noticed the egt's have been a little higher. I will have to look into it, something is a miss and that might be it.

amarillo250

Reaction score
I'm replacing my whole high pressure side in the next week and see what it does after that. I might need some injectors as well. Suggestions????

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
7100 @ 12.55 @ 105.5 1.8 60' 03 6.0 190/75 stock pmax is the best we have done.

Definitely making more power with that turbo overall then the stock pmax.

Have you tried one of the new 11 bladed wheels for the power max, there are a bunch of vendors for them. If you want one PM me I have them in stock and will give it to you to try, makes a difference.

As far has the stage 3 I have on the truck it runs really strong but not the way it should, I talked to Jesse about the low ICP voltage and he seems to think it is air bubble in the oil line. He told me how to bleed it out and try to see what it will build after that.

The tuning is still killing me, need to get the truck to build at least 15psi off the brake, and I can put up some more speed by changing shift point 4-5. The truck was hanging in 4th too long before hitting 5th first two runs only hit 95mph, stayed in 4th, then the trans decided to let it go in 5th and that's when I would hit 105.6-106.2 all the time.

Test and tuning, I know this truck has more in it for sure. Just have to get it right.

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
Do you know about how many trucks out there are running your Stage 4 and how are they working for the guys? And what kinds of trucks are running these? Daily Drivers all out competition rigs? And how big of an injector will these clear up? Thanks

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Right now I have about 6. The trucks are racers, truck killers, others are everyday use. The biggest complain is the tuning to get of line faster. The big vgt acts a little like a non vgt at first then all hell breaks loose. I have been working with tuners on this and will get it ironed out. As far size of injectors I would say 225-235 would be just right, would clean them at full fuel. I have some new wheels coming and when they get here the air flow will be more.

Latest posts

Members online