MTW going for broke!! Track day

strokin6L

Reaction score
You'll get it dialed in Adrian! I had a non vgt so I know how they can be...was use too it. So if my stage 3 acted a little like my 64mm did...I could deal with it for a bit till I got the tuning straightened out. Hopefully I don't run into too much trouble.

oconnors17

Reaction score
With your stage 4 and a waste gate set up and a set of 290cc injectors live tuning, what kind of wheel horse numbers do you think are possible? Do you think I could spray nitrous using the waste gate?

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
The new stage 4 once I get the wheels are going to flow more air but 290cc will be too big for full fuel. As far as waste gate I don't think it will need it, Shawn has nail the spray to one of the turbo with no waste gate and took it just fine (863rwhp on spray with 205/100).

I do have a wheel being made that will be the biggest VGT turbo when I finish it. A stage 5, and carry the biggest turbine wheel I can stuff into the turbine housing. I belive that that turbo should clean 250cc at full fuel, and est. calulations have put it at over 800rwhp fuel only. I also believe that the 6.0 powerstroke won't be able to handle any more than that turbo.

I found the problem with the loss of ICP pressure. If the truck is not started and left for 3 days the oil will leak off the other pump and cause a air bubble. One you start the truck you must then crack the oil line coming out of the pump going to the stock pump to bleed the air out of it. Once that is done you will then have the 4.8 volts of ICP at WOT. After I fixed the ICP at WOT I was at 1750 EGT, now with the proper pressure I can only hit 1540 at WOT. One problem down, next is the tuning to get the turbo to build with brake. Once that is accomplished it's changing shift points for the tranny to hit 5th faster.
I also noticed that the truck is falling at 90 mph a little, so depending on what the tuning does I might have to which out the injectors for 225/100, just more tweeking to get this combo right.

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Right now I have about 6. The trucks are racers, truck killers, others are everyday use. The biggest complain is the tuning to get of line faster. The big vgt acts a little like a non vgt at first then all hell breaks loose. I have been working with tuners on this and will get it ironed out. As far size of injectors I would say 225-235 would be just right, would clean them at full fuel. I have some new wheels coming and when they get here the air flow will be more.

Isnt the whole point of a vgt is to "beat" the spool characteristics of a non vgt? Correct me if im wrong but the way you explain it, is that there is basically no difference at this point in time. ive been around the block before, many times, and honesty i haven't been in a large vgt truck that spooled any faster than a non vgt truck, duramax or 6.0. My truck with 225/100 with good tuning/fuel pulled wont clean up entirely. Soo...

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Isnt the whole point of a vgt is to "beat" the spool characteristics of a non vgt? Correct me if im wrong but the way you explain it, is that there is basically no difference at this point in time. ive been around the block before, many times, and honesty i haven't been in a large vgt truck that spooled any faster than a non vgt truck, duramax or 6.0. My truck with 225/100 with good tuning/fuel pulled wont clean up entirely. Soo...

I agree with you that is the point faster spool, the problem is that these turbo that I have built are not like any large vgt out there or any you have experienced, unless it was one of the ones I built. I have said it before you cannot compair a RCD 68 or even Rudy's 71, why because I use a gt40 turbine wheel which is bigger than the two and any other VGT turbo out there. Because the turbo are pretty new tuning needs to get on par with them, that's why they are acting like a non vgt right now. As tuning more of these turbo happen then spooling will get quicker. I'm in no way getting on you or other non vgt guys out there, and have seen your video of your turbo. You have definitely have a nice combo and tunes spool up is very nice. I will take a video of the stage 3 spooling and driving the injectors are at full fuel up top. I believe you and the test of the members will be completely surprised at the way the turbo runs now, but will get it faster. The other thing about the big VGT I offer is how great they take on every day driving, and will soon prove towing. I have stated that I'm only offering a option, so non vgt, or compounds and now big vgt, whatever someone wants or prefers is there choice, there are good and bad with all of them.Thanks for the input Greg, and get your truck to the track I want to see what it can do, if I wasn't into the VGT turbo development I would be trying your combo out.

Stick the 290's in there

What's the inducer size supposed to be on the stage 5?

I really don't want to get into the exact size until I get the wheels in but they will be bigger than 72mm inducer, the Danville 72mm is the measured at the opening for the inducer, I will be measuring the actual inducer of the compressor.

Last edited:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Video::::

Here's a video I took after I got off work. I get on it and then just drive around a little, and show how boost comes on. Truck is very street able, and the tune is actually a street extreme not a full race tune. Left the tuner at home so couldn't down load the other tune. I will take more video later of smoke and driving around. Hope you enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ipe2f1BLY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
so do you think that the stage 3 will do ok for towing? i dont pull extreme loads or for really long distances. probably 12000lbs max load, and generally just 20-30 miles each way. maybe some couple hundred mile trips while towing but not much really.

Superblazin

Reaction score
I pulled my reg cab chev and a 18' car trailer with the stage 3 and 205s no prob. Egts stayed in check!

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Here's a video I took after I got off work. I get on it and then just drive around a little, and show how boost comes on. Truck is very street able, and the tune is actually a street extreme not a full race tune. Left the tuner at home so couldn't down load the other tune. I will take more video later of smoke and driving around. Hope you enjoy.

Take a look at this video, trick still needs dailed in.

Marty

Reaction score

How far off is your speedometer with the bigger tires.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I have 35" tires with 4:10, it is right on, the Speedo makes some crazy jumps but the edge cts is right with it. The video was also all fuel and on the extreme street tune.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Hit the track again. I got new tunes and truck was running really strong, better then ever before. I can even do boosted launches and the turbo lag is gone, spools as fast as stock turbo running a tune. So anyway I was looking forward to the track, ICP voltage was holding at 4.9 at WOT. I got in truck and started the drive to the track, truck was starting to feel laggy, and EGT's were a little higher. I thought to myself must have been due to the temperature being 95 degrees. Well first run truck wouldn't build boost again, only 7psi, and truck ran very slow down the track, 14.5 97 mph. What the F**** so I loaded a different tune and 15.3 at 92 mph, I was pissed off and was thinking got to be a boost leak, I check nothing, so I figured OK the turbo, I started to remove the turbo to put on a back up turbo. I burnt the crap out of my fore arms, had turbo almost out when I look down at the boot on hot side pipe, going to intercooler. So of a b**** a rip at the clamp, about 4 inches long running right next to the clamp. well I switched it to other side and silicon taped and try to get on the rip, and then the clamp on other side stripped the nut, found another nut but couldn't get it really good and tight. Time for one more pass before they closed the track down from 45psi to 20psi, the truck boosted to 11psi of boost and I launched it of the line 60 foot 1.90 not too bad 1/8 mile 7.82 and then pisssssss the truck lost boost rest of the track, 13.8 to bad it didn't hold. So now need to get new boots, and clamps and try again next week. I think I will be buying a enclosed trailer to tow, to the track full of parts, hoses and such.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Sounds good Adrian, will the stage 5 use a compressor wheel similar to a double batmo? If you're uncomfterable telling in the open pm me.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Sounds good Adrian, will the stage 5 use a compressor wheel similar to a double batmo? If you're uncomfterable telling in the open pm me.

No, stage 5 will have a wheel I designed in it .

Sounds like its getting there!!!

The truck is killing me slowly, dumb stuff, but it's better than big stuff like rods.

The 1/8 time was a 8.70 not the 7.80 be long day.

Latest posts

Members online