My build-Hard work pays off!

How far to go when the cab is pulled the first time

• Total voters

B585Ford

Reaction score
My old truck was one of the earlier trucks with an Elite turbo to see a No Limit intake. I went from not being able to go 3/4-WOT with a big tune to never having to worry again. I had an AFE Stage II with a Pro 5r filter and it didn't keep up with my 71mm at all.

Make no mistake, I agree with everyone else and love my No Limits and DEFINITELY think the OP should go No Limits, but I thought when you went to the 5r you got rid of the filter minder issues and it was the 7 that couldn't keep up? It has been a long time ago and the only reason I remember (I think) is because I already had the 5r so when I went to the 71, I thought I shouldn't have a filter minder issue (and I didn't). It did seem like I got a little more power by my butt dyno.

RSK

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid build list. Hopefully when you get ready to do this, better rockers are available, but I would probably go ahead and do the rockers and lifters when you pull the valve train. Also keep in mind the Tow X is not a drop in.

what is missing from the kit on elite's website for the tow x to be a drop in. I was gonna do the ported intake manifold, push rods, head studs, valve springs, turbo, hd up pipes with provisions for a waste gate for later down the road. all at the same time. then later on once I have the trans built, go into the motor, do pistons, balancing, rods, dual fuelers, unless there is a reliable kit out there that will handle 15-30% over nozzles. which who knows something could come out this summer. and then i won't have to do twin hpfps. I am planning on going with no limit for everything they make, I'm curious to see if I notice a difference in spool up, doing the Cai, then again with the intake elbow and egr delete, then again with the new cac pipe.

Last edited:

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Make no mistake, I agree with everyone else and love my No Limits and DEFINITELY think the OP should go No Limits, but I thought when you went to the 5r you got rid of the filter minder issues and it was the 7 that couldn't keep up? It has been a long time ago and the only reason I remember (I think) is because I already had the 5r so when I went to the 71, I thought I shouldn't have a filter minder issue (and I didn't). It did seem like I got a little more power by my butt dyno.

The Pro 5R helped, but it didn't fix the issue. I eventually changed the filter minder to the newest one which fixed the issue. However, some felt that the new filter minder might not have been the best fix. With my original filter minder, the No Limit intake flowed enough to prevent the minder from sucking in. The AFE intake with Pro 5R did not.

B585Ford

Reaction score
The Pro 5R helped, but it didn't fix the issue. I eventually changed the filter minder to the newest one which fixed the issue. However, some felt that the new filter minder might not have been the best fix. With my original filter minder, the No Limit intake flowed enough to prevent the minder from sucking in. The AFE intake with Pro 5R did not.

That's right. I forgot you went to a mechanical one with the 5r. It is interesting from Wayne's testing that even if you aren't sucking in the filter minded, the CAI might still be robbing some power which is why I say No Limits regardless. That is why I asked you about this. I was going to ask if you ever dynoed after the No Limits because I thought you weren't having issues. Since you still were with the 5r, then a dyno # wouldn't be as useful.

B585Ford

Reaction score
what is missing from the kit on elite's website for the tow x to be a drop in. I was gonna do the ported intake manifold, push rods, head studs, valve springs, turbo, hd up pipes with provisions for a waste gate for later down the road. all at the same time. then later on once I have the trans built, go into the motor, do pistons, balancing, rods, dual fuelers, unless there is a reliable kit out there that will handle 15-30% over nozzles. which who knows something could come out this summer. and then i won't have to do twin hpfps. I am planning on going with no limit for everything they make, I'm curious to see if I notice a difference in spool up, doing the Cai, then again with the intake elbow and egr delete, then again with the new cac pipe.

I am pretty sure it comes with everything needed except I am not sure how it would connect/mount with the stock VGT. You would want to ask Elite about that.

RSK

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it comes with everything needed except I am not sure how it would connect/mount with the stock VGT. You would want to ask Elite about that.

it says everything is included to connect to your existing Vgt, doesn't say stock. i'm sure it does bolt right up. i'll send jd a pm regarding this.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
The Tow Power X atmosphere kit has a few custom pieces with it, which is why it's not a direct drop-in like the 76mm modded stock turbo.

RSK

Reaction score
The Tow Power X atmosphere kit has a few custom pieces with it, which is why it's not a direct drop-in like the 76mm modded stock turbo.

but with the kit including the few custom pieces it all bolts in, correct?

RSK

Reaction score
Add pistons to that list.

thanks, somewhere this thread I did add pistons, and rods, but now, i'm not so sure i'm gonna build this truck, I might buy a regular cab long bed f350 in the summer and build that instead, less weight, easier on the drivetrain, quicker et's too. either way this truck will still get the 76mm atmo, studs and built top end. just no extra fuel, save that for the lighter truck....but now 2wd or 4wd is the question. i'm going towards 4wd so its more useful. easier to launch hard in 4wd.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I think that's a fine idea... keep the daily driver mild. Look at how many high dollar builds are put up for sale on this forum by guys who end up going with a near-stock truck to daily drive.

I will say that a reg cab isn't THAT much weight savings vs. a CCSB, but you don't want to make a hot rod out of your daily IMO.

RSK

Reaction score
I think that's a fine idea... keep the daily driver mild. Look at how many high dollar builds are put up for sale on this forum by guys who end up going with a near-stock truck to daily drive.

I will say that a reg cab isn't THAT much weight savings vs. a CCSB, but you don't want to make a hot rod out of your daily IMO.

well this truck just became my daily driver, before this i was driving my 97 regular cab f350 every single day for the last 3 years, if i redid the interior with custom new seats from corbeau and got them done black leather/heated it would actually be comfortable to drive again and I probably would daily drive it, especially after i redo the body. that is a good point. originally the 6.4 was supposed stay "stock" with an intake/exhaust and egr delete and hot street tune like it has now, the 97 was gonna be the full time work truck, and this truck would be my after work or weekend vehicle/estimate truck, but i'm not sure how well that is going to work. But i do want to be able to casually rock a #***urvette sticker on the drivers side back door window. and actually be able to back that up, so that means slightly north of 700 to break into the 11's in ccsb.

RSK

Reaction score
1F340B47-9BF0-44FB-B533-B9F18B0D3FAC_zpsww8lrcej.jpg

ptm head lights finally, thanks to JD!

104AD276-0A32-4268-AD7D-87386B294E0A_zps4i51p5if.jpg

mirror caps are coming next!

also I have decided this will be a toy, it may see some towing, but my old boss has an 08 f350 regular cab dually 0 issues except radiator which was covered under warranty, he's gonna be selling it end of the summer/ early fall, it has a fisher mm2 stainless v blade that was bought new with it, and it has a flat bed on, garage kept, all maintenance done by the book and it has zero issues, its one of 5 trucks he has, each one gets driven everytime it snows, and or gets icy for sanding, the truck has been washed every week and well maintained, it will have 50,000 miles max, and be just out of warranty. probably be able to pick it up for around 18k it has ac, heated mirrors, bench seat, but it has the nice headlights, manual transfer case, new tires, new brakes, no leaks or issues, ready to work. no dents, no scratches, babied 100%.

Last edited: