My progress/small build thread

B585Ford

Reaction score
I can't see my HPFP going bad right now, truck just broke 59k miles yesterday....

Replaced mine at 60k....it started getting weak around 45k and I made it live another 15k before finally replacing it.

Love the setup....that thing sounds wicked.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
So would you guys try replacing the hpfp with another OEM used one? AirFish Automotive told me he has one he'd let go of for a decent price. It's off of a 2010 with 70k miles... The mileage worries me now lol

B585Ford

Reaction score
If you're losing rail pressure I can almost garuntee a low pressure fuel system won't remedy anything, only be the next step towards twin pumps. Best bet is to keep the tune down to where it can maintain and get a twin pump set up and throw it on. Weather or not you get 1 or 2 pumps would be up to debate I guess. Cheaper low mileage pumps are easy to find. I used a 40k mile pump as my secondary and I have no issues with it so far. But again, some absolutely refuse to use used pumps. But for 200 I couldn't pass it up.

:whs:

B585Ford

Reaction score
So would you guys try replacing the hpfp with another OEM used one? AirFish Automotive told me he has one he'd let go of for a decent price. It's off of a 2010 with 70k miles... The mileage worries me now lol

When I replaced mine with the reman, the first three pumps were bad. It was a hell of an experience because after the third we kept thinking It had to be something else wrong with the truck. Finally, after doing 1 million test, we were convinced that had to be the HPFP… Turns out the 4th pumps was a charm. I would do a LP system at the same time in the hope that your HPFP will live a while.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I'll give ya $2k for it if it is brand new!!!!
I'm gonna look into it and see if it's actually new or not. If it's actually new, it's mine.
When I replaced mine with the reman, the first three pumps were bad. It was a hell of an experience because after the third we kept thinking It had to be something else wrong with the truck. Finally, after doing 1 million test, we were convinced that had to be the HPFP… Turns out the 4th pumps was a charm. I would do a LP system at the same time in the hope that your HPFP will live a while.
So you had 4 pumps go out on you? Did it take the fuel system out each time??

swinky

Reaction score
I really think what kills them is when they're being pushed to the limit often (like yours) so as long as it's a pump off a truck that hasn't been hot rodded you'll be alright.

johnp115

Reaction score
I really think what kills them is when they're being pushed to the limit often (like yours) so as long as it's a pump off a truck that hasn't been hot rodded you'll be alright.

Thats what i was thinking too... Stock fuel system, big tune, many passes down the track probably played roll in it.

swinky

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking too... Stock fuel system, big tune, many passes down the track probably played roll in it.
Yeah high pressure pumps usually don't like having to pull and push. If his low pressure pump wasn't keeping up it could be causing cavitation. Cavitation=heat.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I'm gonna look into it and see if it's actually new or not. If it's actually new, it's mine.

So you had 4 pumps go out on you? Did it take the fuel system out each time??

When my first started to die, I was on completely stock fuel. I do believe bad diesel was a major factor because I was hot shotting and had to buy fuel from an unknown place. About 150 miles into that tank, it started to surge. I almost couldn't get it started when I shut it off to inspect it. Being on the road with a timeline, I didn't have many options so I went to another location and filled the tank. It never acted right after that tank and slowly got worse with maintaining RP and the surge it had over 15k miles. When I finally replaced it, I did a LP system and 15% nozzles at the same time. The first HPFP wouldn't even start. After some conversations with Ford, they said send it back. The second HPFP would only build around 11k RP. Ultimately, it was sent back. The third one did almost the same thing. That is when we thought there had to be something else wrong. After more testing that I can count (over the course of several months), everything pointed to the HPFP so a 4th one was installed. Truck ran great ever since.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yeah high pressure pumps usually don't like having to pull and push. If his low pressure pump wasn't keeping up it could be causing cavitation. Cavitation=heat.

The LPFP could be weak, but even they generally don't appear to starve a stock HPFP. The OP could always plum a gauge into the LP system so he can know for sure. Even if the LPFP was to blame, starving a K16 (HPFP) from fuel is more likely than not going to hurt it so I would bet the HPFP would be weak by now even if the original problem was the LPFP. If I had to bet, I would say the ch#tty water separator on the LP system has caused the K16 to get weak.

swinky

Reaction score
The LPFP could be weak, but even they generally don't appear to starve a stock HPFP. The OP could always plum a gauge into the LP system so he can know for sure. Even if the LPFP was to blame, starving a K16 (HPFP) from fuel is more likely than not going to hurt it so I would bet the HPFP would be weak by now even if the original problem was the LPFP. If I had to bet, I would say the ch#tty water separator on the LP system has caused the K16 to get weak.
We're planning on running a gauge. For all we know it could be pulling air somewhere.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Alright, I've made up my mind not to rush this and do it right. I'll just run E.T. at Rudy's and stick the drag radials on to see if it's quick enough to be competitive in 7.70.

Gonna use Jared's gauge to see what low pressure fuel is doing. If that's good then I'm just going to let it ride for a while while I gather parts again. Mary's LPFS, dual fuel, and at least 60%'s. All in favor?

Latest posts

Members online