New Alternator Offering for Superduty 7.3 and 6.0

Zmann

Reaction score
the 6.0 seems to make a huge dent in the OEM charging system for the duration of the glow plug cycle up to 2 minutes after the motor starts depending on the computers
command

i don't know if it's nearly as bad on the 7.3

hucorey

Reaction score
why? This alternator puts out more at idle and at full tilt. And it isn't made from one off parts and can be rebuilt by any alternator shop.

You dont necessarily need more. Unless someone is running a lot of lights, snowplow, or a big stereo, there's just no need for that much current. Just putting a smaller pulley on helps the IDM and FICM significantly. RPM is negligible on DC motors/alts. Until the bearings fail, lol.

In your 2nd video it appears your first alt's voltage regulator it just starting to wig out as its only charging between 11.8 to 12.?

I'm not saying the one your offering is bad by any means, but DC Power is awfully hard to beat with their reputation. Their OEM alt isnt quite as high output as yours but its $299 and puts out more amps at idle than the other.

Heck Matt, see if you can be a dealer for DC. As there can be a significant wait time for them. I'm sure they spend more time filling dealer orders than customer direct orders.

Gearhead

Reaction score
The reason you saw a lower voltage is due to the alt not being able to keep up with load and the amperage not being enough. At that point the batteries are being discharged even with the alternator making some juice. I was also loading the system with a load tester that adds about 150 amps of load.

Zmann

Reaction score
hucorey you do realize this is Gerarheads vendor section ?
you know the one He pays for and those funds sponsor this site

so it's like going to someones paid for ad and saying you shouldn't buy their stuff but use the competitions product

if it were an open forum it would be one thing but to tell a vendor in his own section to see if He could become a distributor for the competition is ( do I have to spell it out ?)

hucorey

Reaction score
hucorey you do realize this is Gerarheads vendor section ?
you know the one He pays for and those funds sponsor this site

so it's like going to someones paid for ad and saying you shouldn't buy their stuff but use the competitions product

if it were an open forum it would be one thing but to tell a vendor in his own section to see if He could become a distributor for the competition is ( do I have to spell it out ?)

My apologies. But on his website he doesn't show this alt for sale. So how am i supposed to know he is even a dealer for this alt. So I assumed he's just looking to just get a group buy together like many vendors do for forum members. In all the forums that I'm on they do this.

Also, many vendors ask their customers for what products they would like them to carry. This would be an example of that.

I dont really see anyone jumping on this deal either. No disrespect Matt.

I'm sure you've walked into a store and told the owner or sales person that your not going to spend that much when you can go elsewhere for an equivalent product for less. Aka a dealership or anywhere. Its no different on speaking my mind on this thread or walking in his shop and saying the same thing.

Zmann

Reaction score
I don't really agree would you walk into said "store " and voice your opinion in front of a thousand or more people?

He didn't ask opinions but I have seen that done and I will give opinions then

not really my place to correct anyone
I was just making an observation of my opinion only
Matt can delete anything He wants in this area his own Gearhead Vendor section so I should leave it to him

I for one am seriously contemplating this alternator and I already have a DC Power 190

hucorey

Reaction score
I would think you derailing this thread is more disrespectful towards Matt. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

And I would indeed voice my opinion in front of thousands.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Zmann is right. You are being fairly respectful hucorey but this tacti is borderline tacky and woule probably not make a mod too happy.

Matt is selling an exceptional product and at about $100 more than a parts store unit, its a good deal. Dc power is horrible at customer service and i bought a stock alternator this past spring because they would not answer my emails. Horrible business practice. I wanted a dc for my primary on my 7.3 and one for my lincoln ls. They didnt want to answer me and after a month of weekly emails and a few phine.calls i said screw them. Id never buy anything from them for.that reason.
Like Matt said they fill theirs with super secret squirrel bs and rebuild is a nightmare or even impossible. I wish this would have presented itself back in the spring Id have jumped on it.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I can get the DC power alternators as well but I think people value my opinion of things. This alternator is larger and thus can deliver this output constantly instead of an alternator that won't last under constant use at full power. I have never had great luck with alternators and I can tell you that if you are cramming 20 lbs of poop in a 10 pound sack you will have issues. This alternator is designed from the ground up to handle the heat load of its rating. By increasing the size you can have more windings and a heavy gauge wire too. This way you have the amperage, idle output and less heat production.

Last edited:

hucorey

Reaction score
I can get the DC power alternators as well but I think people value my opinion of things. This alternator is larger and thus can deliver this output constantly instead of an alternator that won't last under constant use at full power. I have never had great luck with alternators and I can tell you that if you are cramming 20 lbs of poop in a 10 pound sack you will have issues. This alternator is designed from the ground up to handle the heat load of its rating. By increasing the size you can have more windings and a heavy gauge wire too. This way you have the amperage, idle output and less heat production.

Agreed completely on alt issues. I had one customer go through 3 in a week. Its mainly due to the electronics manufacturer of voltage regulators. They are indeed chit. The windings are usually fine. Very difficult nowadays to get an alt to produce clean stable power for a HEUI engine.

Gearhead

Reaction score
This should sum it up for you.... this is it next to the 250 amp "upgrade" alternator that most people install.
useha9y6.jpg
y6ehutyb.jpg

Zmann

Reaction score
Matt what case is used ?

hard pill ? the dc power 250 versions are $450 and $550 and you likely wont see them for a month

Last edited:

hucorey

Reaction score
hard pill ? the dc power 250 versions are $450 and $550 and you likely wont see them for a month

I honestly have no use for a 250amp alt. I've got the 185 oem DC power. On sale for $275 and had it in 3 days. I guess I got lucky getting it that fast. :dunno:

Gearhead

Reaction score
I honestly have no use for a 250amp alt. I've got the 185 oem DC power. On sale for $275 and had it in 3 days. I guess I got lucky getting it that fast. :dunno:

How much does your 185amp alternator make at idle hot? Is it even able to maintain full charging voltage at night with the AC and lights on when you are at a stop light? You really need 90-100 amps at idle to keep everything happy. Add some stereo or more lights and you will see stuff start to dim until you get back on the throttle.

Zmann

Reaction score
when the fark did this become a thread about whether hucorey needs a 250 amp alternator?

we aren't talking 185 amp units although DC power will keep up with the load Matt suggest and uses the larger 7.3 case

I want to run an inverter and this looks like the extra amps I am after

hucorey

Reaction score
when the fark did this become a thread about whether hucorey needs a 250 amp alternator?

we aren't talking 185 amp units although DC power will keep up with the load Matt suggest and uses the larger 7.3 case

It evedently did when with your smartass comments. I'm just replying your retarded nonsense.

Also I dont recall you even being interested in this alt until after I chimed in. Seems as though your cluttering up Matt's thread more than anyone. So stop making jabs at the same time your attempting to seem like your actually interested in Matt's group buy.