New Trans

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
OK, I didn't see where you said the shop would do it without a driver complaint. That's different.

I don't see how new fluid can harm a transmission, if it is the correct fluid for that transmission. I can see where the wrong fluid can cause a failure in a very short time. Many places use a generic fluid and put in additives to make that generic fluid whatever they want it to be. I do not believe that works, and I think it can cause problems, including failure.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with Suncoast billet converters? Only asking because that's what the one builder uses close to me. the one that builds the pullers.

cbf9703

Reaction score
How do you like it and what kind of miles have you put on it? Not a cheap converter once the warranty runs out in a few years LOL.
It's been probably 4 years, 2 of which the truck was driven about 400 miles a week, but here lately it's been sitting more.... I'll guess around 50k miles on it.

Other than the truck's ****ty shifting strategy from the factory compounded with the 37s and no regear it's great. LOL

My only "complaint" is that when you start the truck you have to wait a few seconds or it will hesitate until the fluid builds up. It's never bothered me, but I've let family members borrow the truck and they started it and immediately threw it in reverse like they do with their gasser (summer... They do let it warm up more in the winter) and freaked out a little when it didn't instantly move.

On edit: not sure which one you're looking at, but mine is a triple disk converter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So what you're saying here is that you don't know how an automatic transmission works, but this is your theory of why they fail.

Here's my theory, and feel free to poke holes in it.

Once the trans gets to the point where the driver complains about it, it's done. Especially in a fleet vehicle where the driver doesn't own it, and doesn't pay for repairs. It's going to get BAD before they complain. At this point the trans is finished. Flushing it will do NOTHING bad to the trans, but it can't fix the failed parts, either. So it dies. It would have died in about the same time if it were ignored.
good to see you post sir!! always love reading them!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, I feel like a woman out shoe shopping. I just can't come to a damn decision:doh:. All I know is that it's gonna be between local or John Woods and either way cost me close to the same amount. Maybe someone with a super big heart will just buy me one, :poke: Frank.

Jomax

Reaction score
I love my local trans builder. Just hard to find one that actually fixes them instead of just throw in new clutches and a shift kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
I love my local trans builder. Just hard to find one that actually fixes them instead of just throw in new clutches and a shift kit.

Well at least one of the locals is Redline Diesel Power, just haven't really heard much about them on the Ford end.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I'm still up in the air on a new trans. Put a new turbo on Friday, and the trans definitely doesn't like it. I have another local option to me. Anybody no anything about Sam Wyse transmissions?

Zmann

Reaction score
nope other than what Corey at CNC Fab has said about them

He speaks Highly of Sam

Zmann

Reaction score
Dang I would have loved to find a local builder that had an endorsement of someone I know

I am just finishing up my boring OEM reman transmission install
I would have much rather had mine rebuilt and diagnosed locally although chino valley isn't super local is it ?

thanks

greyford1979

Reaction score
That's my problem, I don't know anyone here that has had there's done by a local builder. And I'd be real pissed if it didn't drive as nice as my brother's John Wood trans lol.

Jomax

Reaction score
Dang I would have loved to find a local builder that had an endorsement of someone I know

I am just finishing up my boring OEM reman transmission install
I would have much rather had mine rebuilt and diagnosed locally although chino valley isn't super local is it ?

thanks

Well... 1.5hrs from Mesa, AZ. As local as it gets lol.