New Trans

Denver

Reaction score
Go with the John Wood transmission. 140k miles on mine and performs great. All of the parts are built to his specs and are only found in his transmissions.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, I think I might be close to making a decision soon. As much as I wanna stay local because of convenience, I just don't know of anyone with experience with them and am leaning heavily towards John Wood. Before I do, would you guys recommend changing out the flexplate while in there? It's the original with over 290,000 miles on it. And if so, should the bolts be changed out as well along with it?

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, I've started buying stuff to get ready for when I get my trans. Already have a new 6.0 cooler, a new flexplate just in case and have a chit ton of Schaeffer's trans fluid on the way.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im having a stg2 sam wyse built. Rated for 600hp and its damn near a full roller trans.

TyCorr

Reaction score
pardon my ignorance...what is "full roller"?

No bushings, all bearings.

Yes. Billet and 300m are used because the shafts are taking a beating trying to transfer power from input to output shaft. By putting roller bearings at each end you may make obsolete bilet or 300m at all but the highest hp levels. Sam is the only one doing it as far as I know. I hoped to have my Trans already but its pulling season and hes got local customers.

I was going to get another twisted but the one I need is 5500 bucks...

jbolen323

Reaction score
Im having a stg2 sam wyse built. Rated for 600hp and its damn near a full roller trans.

if i didn't have a bts and know JW, id be goign to wyse, hes gotten big lately it seems like. But i will vouch for what jomax said we do have a reallly good local builder a few hours away. It put up with david's truck even tho it wasn't really big power, but it got towed and dragged a lot and the guy is pretty cool. which is impossible to find and his prices are under $3k for a full build w a good triple disc tc.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wouldnt wish a bts on anyone. Ive helped three people deal with problems buying one of his trannys. Some guys gave zero issues. The ones that do, have big ones. My old twisted 4r is in a guys truck that couldnt keep his bts alive. First the converter, then the pump, then he lost reverse, sent it in, clutches were fried. I sold him my twisted and 11 months went by and his bts finally got dhipped back. He put it in a stock eclb he bought to tow with and after two months the converter went out lol. So he bought a roadrunner triple disc and sold it for 3 grand. He has a twisted stg 1 in that truck now and the stg 2 i sold him is still going. He said he's put 100k on it. I put 20k. Good transmission builders.

Jw is good from what Ive heard. Ive only known one person locally who had one.

jbolen323

Reaction score
I wouldnt wish a bts on anyone. Ive helped three people deal with problems buying one of his trannys. Some guys gave zero issues. The ones that do, have big ones. My old twisted 4r is in a guys truck that couldnt keep his bts alive. First the converter, then the pump, then he lost reverse, sent it in, clutches were fried. I sold him my twisted and 11 months went by and his bts finally got dhipped back. He put it in a stock eclb he bought to tow with and after two months the converter went out lol. So he bought a roadrunner triple disc and sold it for 3 grand. He has a twisted stg 1 in that truck now and the stg 2 i sold him is still going. He said he's put 100k on it. I put 20k. Good transmission builders.

Jw is good from what Ive heard. Ive only known one person locally who had one.

yeah took 4 months + for a repair on mine, good thing i had other trucks. I destroyed the PI tc 2x but figured out then the "time" it was built they had bad batches, been good so far and putting more power out of it and more drags haha.

greyford1979

Reaction score

Thanks a lot, I thought I had made a decision finally, and now I'm back to deciding between this and a John Wood LOL. I've had experience with the John Wood, my brother's truck, amazing trans. But will cost more and the distance, plus putting it in myself. The Sam Wyse I don't know as much but I'm hearing good things. Plus he's more local, about 2.5 hour drive and will cost less with install. I think my trans will blow up by the time I make a decision LOL. I think it may come down to who's I can get first.:fustrate:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yes. Billet and 300m are used because the shafts are taking a beating trying to transfer power from input to output shaft. By putting roller bearings at each end you may make obsolete bilet or 300m at all but the highest hp levels.
Maybe I just don't understand transmissions, but how does roller bearings make the shaft stronger than if there were bushings?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Maybe I just don't understand transmissions, but how does roller bearings make the shaft stronger than if there were bushings?
if it is anything like a stock gtp38 vs a gtp38r ball bearing turbo, its friction. less friction less abuse... but then i dont know chit about the internals of a trans.. lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

sootie

Reaction score
oh i know you do.. i never doubted that a bit..

live life full throttle

he's picking apart wording technically like he always does.

Roller bearings reduce stress on a given shaft. They don't make the shaft stronger. The end result is the shaft lasts longer which is what the consumer wants.

TyCorr

Reaction score
But I do, and I can't understand how roller bearings make a shaft stronger.

oh i know you do.. i never doubted that a bit..

live life full throttle

Roller bearings reduce stress on a given shaft. They don't make the shaft stronger. The end result is the shaft lasts longer which is what the consumer wants.

It doesn't technically. It doesnt change the metallurgy of the shaft. But if people add stronger shafts to transmissions because they are a weakness or an inadequate part in that system perhaps they can be improved in their use by reducing forces and friction acting upon them.

Idk, though, you'd have to ask the guys who designed them why they didnt utilize the energy transferred through the shafts more effectively :D

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Only because what I read doesn't make sense.

I don't think roller bearings reduce stress on a shaft by any amount. They do reduce torque to turn the shaft, and maybe that's what you mean. If the torque to turn is lower it doesn't mean the shaft has less stress. It means the rear axle gets the few extra lb-ft of torque. The shaft still sees the exact same amount

It doesn't technically. It doesnt change the metallurgy of the shaft. But if people add stronger shafts to transmissions because they are a weakness or an inadequate part in that system perhaps they can be improved in their use by reducing forces and friction acting upon them.
As shown above if the torque to turn the shaft is lower, it just means more torque at the other end of the shaft. The shaft sees the exact same stress either way.

Idk, though, you'd have to ask the guys who designed them why they didnt utilize the energy transferred through the shafts more effectively :D
Because it wasn't worth the cost. It adds quite a bit of cost to the transmission for a benefit that is too small to ever be measured. Maybe at extremely high torques it makes sense. I never tested a trans at those levels.

When you're building a several thousand dollar custom transmission you can afford to put roller bearings in. When you have hundreds of thousands of these built every year adding that type of cost adds millions of dollars, and there isn't enough benefit that anyone could actually measure it.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
Seems logical

and considering the source that no surprise LOl

thanks Mark