Oil change= ridiculous lope

sootie

Reaction score
So I like to think I'm pretty inclined mechanically. I am a diehard 7.3 guy and I have owned 3 personally and fam has had about 15 more. that being said I've changed a lot of rotella with Lucas stabilizer in it over ten years. I did a change on my stock 02 5000 miles ago 1 gal Lucas 11 quarts rotella 15-40 Dino .
On first start after change it loped ridiculous and had zero power . I called a ford diesel tech friend and we agreed Lucas made it to thick and once it thinned out all would/should be better. We'll now 5,000 miles later half of which towing a 16k fw tt it still lopes like crazy on first start of day. It will lope for 30 seconds or so then stall if started normally. If I stab the throttle it will smooth out and be great rest of the day. There's no smoke, temp makes no difference, no cel, I'm stumped also it seems to take about 6-8 mins at idle or stuff it down the street to get ebpv to open and let truck perform normally. Also changed GPR on same day as oil in February. I plan tomorrow to change hpo res oil and add about a quart of sea foam unless I get some advice tonight thanks in advance guys.... Gary

LOL

dmd

Reaction score
Any name brand oil changed at regular intervals should be fine without any additives. I use Delo because for some reason mine loves to burn Rotella. Can go through 3 quarts of Rotella between oil changes, Delo it maybe uses one quart. Pulled valve covers at 160k to change the harness and it was clean like a new engine, just like it should look. Don't use seafoam, it is alcohol and a solvent and is not good with HEUI by any stretch of the imagination. If there is a problem with the motor then fix it instead of potential damage using these additive products. Seafoam works pretty good on small carbureted motors though, so does carb cleaner of that matter.

HPO oil is the same oil that is in the motor, it all just gets pumped around. That is why any additives are back for the HEUI systems. What are those additives going to do
to the injectors?

I add a little 2 stroke oil to the fuel to help with the dry sulfur lacking fuel, that is it though.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
chevron delo 15-40. cheapest at walmart and has a better additive package then most dino oils. if you want to add anything to the oil, the only thing I will recommend is Schaeffers moly ep treatment. its some good chit.

sootie, go easy on the guy. arisley already set it straight.

live life full throttle

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Valvoline 15-40 in the blue jug and be done with it. I've never heard anyone say anything good about rotella in a 7.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01PSD

Reaction score
Well I have no complaints about Rotella... also know others who've used it from day 1 with no complaints... Lord only knows how many people run it

TARM

Reaction score
It's simple.reasons for why Rot is a poor choice it has a very weak additive.package. This is well known in the industry and in fact is why many of wet clutch ATVs have Iisted it as ok specifically becuase it has no friction modifiers very weak base oils which reqjibes quality vicosity modifiers and as the additives are low in it you see changes quicKyl and it shears faster.

Just because it does not seem to negatively effect your injector performance bas on how it feels to you does not mean it's a good oil. The only time that is noticeable is when it has vast effects on the viscosity which BTW numerous people.have noted in a number of setups with that oil.

But hey its dirt cheap and you can buy it at every discount store and whether some.people want to admit it or not that is one of its major selling points and always has been. If you change your oil E every 3k.

I

Lassie

Reaction score
I have literally tried them ALL! I don't know any of the science behind any of them, but I do know my 6.0s, which have the most sensitive HEUI injs, run better with DELO 5/40. So I use it in 7.3s also.

Everybody has their own opinion, but I can attest to the fact that cold start issues (assumed stiction) were cured within two oil changes of Delo. I'm sold.

TARM

Reaction score
That is.the one I recommend and Schaeffer is the only thing I run. They have the best additive package. The 9k is a real poa syn. 7k is a group III and can be better choice.for.those that may already have a "loose" engine or one with swollen seals that can leak with the thinner true syn oils. As far as I know their All Trans is as good as it gets in trans fluids. It all Brian@BTS uses in his builds and you know he is going to use the best.

Latest posts

Members online