one piece rear DL.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Looks like I need one about 70" for my CC SB. I figured an aluminum one would be ideal but that's not going to happen with any of my local shops. Where are you guys getting yours built at? Are you going steel or alum? Ever since we did the 6" lift I've been chasing a vibration so I'm through and believe this will fix the problem and be stronger in the long run.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Steel. Had mine made at Weller truck parts. Its been in my 05 and now to my 08. Pop your drive shaft out and measure center of yoke to center of yoke. That'll be enough for them since you're not a long travel suspension. IIRC mine was 71" or so.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
You guys think steel is a better choice? I thought everyone was doing aluminum?

Demon

Reaction score
I just recently put a one piece 5" steel tube 1480 joint rear shaft.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Go steel one piece. It will take care of your vibrations and probably cheaper. I had a couple of high dollar ones made by a shop claiming they made them for trophy trucks etc. They were worthless pieces of crap. The rear destroyed itself as I pulled into Denver, somehow the front survived DPC. They are now out and a local place in Denver made me a one piece and a front one for a fraction of the price and with the biggest u joints that would fit.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
My shop told me he can make a 4" steel one but he said the maximum speed would be about 3200 rpm before it would begin to vibrate. Not sure if it would need to spin that fast or not. 3.73 gears and 36.5" tall tires...

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
no, your thinking wrong, you need to do the math before the shaft, not after.

take the engine rpm, divided by the final drive out of the transmission, should give you drive shaft rpm's.

allowing 2500 engine rpm's

1. gear 3.11 ratio 803 shaft rpm's
2. 2.20 1136 shaft rpm's
3. 1.54 1623 shaft rpm's
4. 1.00 2500 shaft rpm's
5. 0.71 3521 shaft rpm's

taking 5th gear to 3k engine makes it 4225 shaft rpm's

so go floor your truck, see where you end up on 5 gear, and that will tell you what your shaft will turn.

or, if you wind out 4 gear depending on your shifting strategy, your engine rpm's will tell you shaft speed.

should help you determine your own driveshaft speed.

Last edited:

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a 4" steel shaft with a maximum speed of 3200 rpm is going to be the best idea then. Now what? Thanks for the help guys.

Demon

Reaction score
Whats the problem with that scenario?

At 70mph I'm at 2k rpm engine speed. There's a problem If your making 2500 or 3k rpm at highway speed. Either you need to regear, or bring it back under 100mph cruising speed.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Mine has gone 130mph before and no vibration and multiple nitrous runs. I didn't do the calculations but it also has held 2200-2400 rpm for hours at a time and no problems. It seems to me you guys are over thinking the whole drive line thing.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Maybe the guy isn't right, there are a lot of guys here with that type of drive line here and no vibration problems.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
no, the guy is saying that he wont guarantee his to not vibrate at any shaft speed over 3200. he's not saying it wont, hes saying he wont back it.

eric, your guy uses different material or a different process, or different tools, therefore he will back his to a higher rpm.

just means if the op doesn't like where he falls in the whole shaft speed thing, he just looks for a different place to make one.

Latest posts

Members online