p0088 with Spartan runs like crap, Load H&S runs great

B585Ford

Reaction score
The presents of code P0088 with the Spartan tune and lack of the same code confirms that Spartan has a smaller tolerates for excessive rail pressure. Like Jeff confirmed for us, Spartan is aware of the wider parameter adopted by both Ford and H&S and choose not to include it in there tunes. How much longer will a HPFP last with H&S tunes? That's impossible to predict, to many variables that can affect the pumps lifespan. Your correct, I don't work for Spartan or H&S, but I sell both tuners. All I do is answer a potential customers questions about each tuner honestly and let them make there own choice of which tuner to purchase.

IMO, although I do think the fuel system (I won't single it out to only the HPFP yet for the reasons Dustin posted) is the mostly likely cause of the OPs problems, I don't think we can confirm that with 99% until we can explain why the truck is running poorly with the Spartan. Do you think it is going into limp mode with Spartan due to the tighter parameters and that is why it is runing so bad with the Spartan yet runs seemingly normal with the H&S? Again, if so, is there a way to confirm it?

Last edited:

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
That is why I asked. Do you think it is going into limp mode with Spartan due to the tighter parameters which result in throwing a code and that it why it is runing so bad with the Spartan yet runs seemingly normal with the H&S? Again, if so, is there a way to confirm it?

Yes, the smaller parameter is why code P0088 sets with Spartan and not the H&S and that code results in the PCM going into derate mode. Monitoring fuel rail pressure and fuel pressure control valve duty cycle under hard acceleration would confirm the control valve sticking open and causing sustained high fuel rail pressure. The same conditions with each tuner giving different results shows the difference in fuel rail pressure parameters. Again, I'm not biased to either tuner, however it's important to remember that ford increased this parameter only for the sake of decreasing the number of HPFP's being replaced under warranty. Customer satisfaction and performance are not there primary concerns.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yes, the smaller parameter is why code P0088 sets with Spartan and not the H&S and that code results in the PCM going into derate mode. Monitoring fuel rail pressure and fuel pressure control valve duty cycle under hard acceleration would confirm the control valve sticking open and causing sustained high fuel rail pressure. The same conditions with each tuner giving different results shows the difference in fuel rail pressure parameters. Again, I'm not biased to either tuner, however it's important to remember that ford increased this parameter only for the sake of decreasing the number of HPFP's being replaced under warranty. Customer satisfaction and performance are not there primary concerns.

You must have been posting at the same time as me cause I didn't see this until after I made my last post. Thanks.

B585Ford

Reaction score

As you said earlier, you can't predict how long the HPFP will last (assuming it is the cause of the problem and not somewhere else in the fuel system and ultimately every pump will eventually fail) and not all pump failures take out the injectors with it, but I sure wish someone would make a reasonably priced filter that would go on after the HPFP that would at least catch debris from a failed pump which would keep it from taking out the injectors.

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
As you said earlier, you can't predict how long the HPFP will last (assuming it is the cause of the problem and not somewhere else in the fuel system and ultimately every pump will eventually fail) and not all pump failures take out the injectors with it, but I sure wish someone would make a reasonably priced filter that would go on after the HPFP that would at least catch debris from a failed pump which would keep it from taking out the injectors.

In the case of P0088, the failure is only withen the fuel pressure control valve which can only be serviced with a complete pump. This doesn't result in metal debris in the fuel system but could cause a internal fuel leak that overfills the crankcase. That causes a whole different set of issues itself.

B585Ford

Reaction score
In the case of P0088, the failure is only withen the fuel pressure control valve which can only be serviced with a complete pump. This doesn't result in metal debris in the fuel system but could cause a internal fuel leak that overfills the crankcase. That causes a whole different set of issues itself.

I didn't realize P0088 usually only occurs with PCV valve fails. Thanks, that is helpful.

Moremph

Reaction score
Yes it throws it into limp mode and makes the truck useless, It does not matter which tunes it is in any of the spartan tunes causes the issue, None of the H&S tunes will do it, big or small. The upper limit is not a sighn of a mechanically weak pump it is saying it is making more psi then it wants which is a control problem. Been monitoring oil as well and no sighns of fuel dilution.

golfpro2301

Reaction score
I just had the 0088 code tripped on my 2010 6.4. I ran the truck with the 275 tune on it for 3k miles. Loaded the 150 tune on it yesterday just to test it out. Drove 25 miles to work then 25 miles home tonight. Got in it an hour after getting home to go to dinner and as I pulled out of the driveway the check engine light came on. Ran the codes and it was 0088. The truck didnt have loss of power and ran perfectly fine. Buddy of mine is a certified diesel mechanic and called him to see what he said. Said to not even worry about it and to clear codes and keep driving. If it pops back on its more than likely the sensor. He said he had similar problems with his tuned cummins before EFI Live. What do you all think.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Iirc correctly. Spartans files run a much tighter tolerance for rail pressure tables than other tuners. P0088 was a common dtc early in the 6.4 tuning scene. Doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just load a different file and get ahold of Jeff or Mick.

golfpro2301

Reaction score
So drove it 30miles to work today. 25 of them on interstate. Thought I would share my FRP #s. Idle 5200. 45mph 7500. Cruise control at 70mph was 9500-10000. Highest it got was getting on interstate and that was 17000. Truck ran perfect and code didnt pop. Could it be aomething in the tune. I read somewhere that spartan has issues with low tunes but 275 and up aeem to be better with this issue. Also one odd thing I forgot to mention was a few days ago I had tire pressure warning light flash then stay solid as there is a malfunction hasnt popped up since. I did find a guy on another dorum that had same exact thing. Tire warning then few days later p0088. Could this be short in wiring you think?

djr4x4

Reaction score
I've ran the 300 tune for quite awhile.. Dropped to the 275 and got the P0088 code.. Bumped back to 300 and never got it... The parameters are just a little different... If you have the latest and most up to date firmware/files then you can turn off the P0088 code all together.. Plus side you won't have to worry about the code and limp mode. Negative is when the pump does decided to take a dump you won't know until it dumps.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
If you have the latest and most up to date firmware/files then you can turn off the P0088 code all together.. Plus side you won't have to worry about the code and limp mode. Negative is when the pump does decided to take a dump you won't know until it dumps.

with what firmware/files? :confused:

H&S allows you to set a pretty wide variance, but they do not give you the option to turn off the code

djr4x4

Reaction score
with what firmware/files? :confused:

H&S allows you to set a pretty wide variance, but they do not give you the option to turn off the code

http://www.spartandieseltech.com/ostpressrelease.pdf

Version 710 is all-new software for the Spartan Phalanx ("DashDAQ") and Spartan Phalanx II (nDash)
tuners for 6.4L Powerstroke applications. New users will note several functionality changes, along with
the addition of several new features.
1.) Separate "Early Lock" and "Late Lock" tuning files are now gone. Torque converter lockup
speed is now selectable in the user options menu on your tuning device. 2 options are available
now, with more expanded options coming soon in the future.
2.) Tire Size Adjustment is now available on-screen. Specific directions can be found on the
instructions document listed above. This feature will correct transmission shifting and the
vehicle's dashboard Speedometer for any size tire up to 53" in diameter, and can be "tweaked"
and calibrated to your exact, specific tire by GPS comparison.
3.) Separate "EGR Off" files are no longer needed for competition vehicles. The function can now
be enabled and disabled in the user options menu.
4.) Other user adjustable options, such as for an aftermarket low pressure fuel system
(FASS/Airdog/etc), Traction Control Disable (bypass) and disabling DTC P0088 are also now
accessible.

Members online

No members online now.