Possible cracked block?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive never heard of shortening pushrods on a 7.3.

If the amount is so miniscule why not just run a thicker fasket? Or something else.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Aluminum is aluminum, they dont heat treat alumiunm pistons, so machining would only take away .030" of material, which yes, less material means less dissipation of heat, but hell .030" over a 5" tall piston? I doubt it would matter.

This is flawed thinking. .030 may make a very large difference. The piston may be 5in tall, but it is not solid. Also removing .030 brings the top compression ring that much closer to the heat source, it may not be reliable for 200k miles. Also machining that much off also changes your combustion chamber shape, and while delipping is a common mod, you will be enlarging the combustulion chamber quite a bit, to where it may not work properly.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Ive never heard of shortening pushrods on a 7.3.

If the amount is so miniscule why not just run a thicker fasket? Or something else.
I dont think you can just "shorten" the existing push rods, I think they will have to be made .030" shorter. Which i dont know if you can buy those, or if they have to be custom made?

.030" is almost 1/32" of an inch, which isnt much in terms of gasket thicknesses, i wonder if you can get a gasket that much thicker? Where would you look?
This is flawed thinking. .030 may make a very large difference. The piston may be 5in tall, but it is not solid. Also removing .030 brings the top compression ring that much closer to the heat source, it may not be reliable for 200k miles. Also machining that much off also changes your combustion chamber shape, and while delipping is a common mod, you will be enlarging the combustulion chamber quite a bit, to where it may not work properly.

I see what you are saying, and it will also lower compression ratio, how much, idk. But i see how it is flawed thinking.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I didnt mean shorten as in the verb "to shorten". The noun as in shorter.

You'd have to buy them and i have no idea where to source them. Call smith bros and they'll tell you if you're completely insane.

Ive only ever seen shortened p rods for 6.4s.

79jasper

Reaction score
You can "shorter" pushrods and con rods.
But without knowing what actually "happened," does no good.

Your idea of a new shop is your best bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can "shorter" pushrods and con rods.
But without knowing what actually "happened," does no good.

Your idea of a new shop is your best bet.

I guess then find me a place that sells shorter length 7.3 pushrods because the csralog i ysed only showed them for 6.4s.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. Nobody cuts them for a 7.3. They'll make anything you spec out. Call smoth bros and ask them for 7.3 prods .030" shorter. Transfer the conversation to text and post it for all to read.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Did they by chance forget the thickness of the head gasket? Piston protrusion should be an easy number to find and measure yourself. If for whatever reason they took that much off the deck height of the block, I would say they junked it. If they took that much off the heads I would say they ruined them too. I would guess they forgot the head gasket, measured wrong, or missed a decimal somewhere and .003 got turned into .03

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Im hoping your right PsdPuller, and they made a small mistake and everything is good. Im in the process of getting my motor back from the shop now. Ill keep you posted. If this new shop says to just go ahead and order some shorter pushrods, then ill keep you guys posted on my findings.

Thanks again guys, i really appreciate the input and help!

TyCorr

Reaction score
I thought of that too but isnt measuring done with heads on too? Plastigage LOL ?

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Just something else I thought of...wouldn't the lifter have to have oil pressure on it to get an accurate reading? Without oil pressure the lifter won't be fully pumped up to take out the little bit of slop.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes. But there seems to be 9 places they could be off. Or maybe they are just off that much.

79jasper

Reaction score
You could get close by measuring piston protrusion, having the compressed thickness of the HG'S, and valve lift.
But it's not exactly a guarantee.

I think. Lol could be wrong.