Possible cracked block?

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Well the last month has been fun... From where i last posted, i picked up a standard bore overhaul kit because that is what the shop recommended i get. On 9/6 I got the kit to the shop that is doing the work. He pulled one of the pistons out of the box and mic'd them in comparison to the cylinder bores. Well turns out they were right on the border line of being within spec. He said, "They were within spec, but barely, and it didnt leave any room for wear. So who knows how long the motor will last after its put back together before it starts burning oil and loosing compression". So I called Sunrise Ford on 9/20, and I ordered up a .010" over kit, they also said they would swap it out with the kit i have as long as nothing has been used. On 9/22, they had the kit in stock, so i called the shop back, and they said to wait, that they sent the block to the machine shop to "be sure it was .010" over".

So after basically forcing him to measure the block, and him tell me it was "fine", it turns out he was wrong. Then he told me it needed to go to .010" over, and once i got the new overhaul kit, he didnt want to bite his tongue again, so he sent the block to the machine shop to be sure, because i guarantee he never checked the bores in the first place.

Now on 10/10, i finally get a phone call from him, the machine shop bored it to .010" over, and it everything came out perfect, and he picked it up on Saturday 10/8. So now im just waiting to get the standard bore overhaul kit back from the shop, so i could go swap it out at Sunrise Ford, and get this thing back together.

Im so done and over with this rebuild, I'm done dealing with shops, and dealerships, and my wife being pissed at me for how much money im spending, and how the truck isnt finished. Safe to say, i will never do something like this again.

So wish me luck guys.

Last edited:

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Good luck dude. Sorry for your troubles. It seems like your shop is very unreliable. It should be a much easier process. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

79jasper

Reaction score
Good luck dude. Sorry for your troubles. It seems like your shop is very unreliable. It should be a much easier process. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.
Iirc, the "shop" is a tech school/auto class.
So fairly understandable.
Especially if you see the techs coming from there. If they can't hook a computer to it, they can't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rusty1161

Reaction score
Well the last month has been fun... From where i last posted, i picked up a standard bore overhaul kit because that is what the shop recommended i get. On 9/6 I got the kit to the shop that is doing the work. He pulled one of the pistons out of the box and mic'd them in comparison to the cylinder bores. Well turns out they were right on the border line of being within spec. He said, "They were within spec, but barely, and it didnt leave any room for wear. So who knows how long the motor will last after its put back together before it starts burning oil and loosing compression". So I called Sunrise Ford on 9/20, and I ordered up a .010" over kit, they also said they would swap it out with the kit i have as long as nothing has been used. On 9/22, they had the kit in stock, so i called the shop back, and they said to wait, that they sent the block to the machine shop to "be sure it was .010" over".

So after basically forcing him to measure the block, and him tell me it was "fine", it turns out he was wrong. Then he told me it needed to go to .010" over, and once i got the new overhaul kit, he didnt want to bite his tongue again, so he sent the block to the machine shop to be sure, because i guarantee he never checked the bores in the first place.

Now on 10/10, i finally get a phone call from him, the machine shop bored it to .010" over, and it everything came out perfect, and he picked it up on Saturday 10/8. So now im just waiting to get the standard bore overhaul kit back from the shop, so i could go swap it out at Sunrise Ford, and get this thing back together.

Im so done and over with this rebuild, I'm done dealing with shops, and dealerships, and my wife being pissed at me for how much money im spending, and how the truck isnt finished. Safe to say, i will never do something like this again.

So wish me luck guys.

What a nightmare! Good luck!

If you end up needing another shop, head north to Chino and hit up Domestic Diesel.

Rusty

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Iirc, the "shop" is a tech school/auto class.
So fairly understandable.
Especially if you see the techs coming from there. If they can't hook a computer to it, they can't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I would be understanding if it was a tech school/auto class, but its not, its a full blown Diesel shop, with several fleet accounts and about a dozen employees.
What a nightmare! Good luck!

If you end up needing another shop, head north to Chino and hit up Domestic Diesel.

Rusty

Chino isnt too far from me, if i need it, i'll give them a call, thanks Rusty!

EDIT: looking back on posts, it was back on 6/9 I dropped off the motor to him, its now 10/13. Just over 4 months... The motor went bad on 11/8/2015. Coming up on a year real quick...

Last edited:

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Got the overhaul kit and dropped it off at the shop today. Got to look at my block sitting on a rolling cart ready to go together too. Snapped some pics.

34hdyc9.jpg

14kl8oh.jpg

ngy68z.jpg

2yyurdu.jpg

msndp4.jpg

PS. does anybody else have problems uploading pictures? Its always a pain in the ass for me and always gives me an error code like incorrect file type, or upload failed.

Last edited:

markfuga

Reaction score
Good looking block. hopefully this solves your problems for good.

Yes, just recently (starting about a week ago) I can no longer upload pictures. I'm getting the same error as you. I have lots of updates on my project to post but can't upload the pictures to support my exaggerations.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Hopefully this solves the problem for good for another 350k miles. Im amazed that this motor went through 354k miles and how only needed to go .010" over. I've had motors at 100,000 miles need to go .040" over! Supposedly the machine shop said it was very easy to get all the bores straight and round again. Now as for all the bearings being bad... Im at a loss for words... lol

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Just got a text from the shop today, they're starting to put it back together and expect for me to have it by the end of this week or early next week.

Wish me luck guys.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why didnt you just go find a takeout forged rod motor for 1200 bucks? Then you arent in a rush. You'd have 100-200k miles to get the original "built".

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Trust me, i wanted to, but after finding myself almost $5k deep into all of this, and then go and spend another $1200 on another motor just to get it running a little sooner didn't make sense to me. Plus i'm not looking to get a "built" motor. I don't need it to do 3rd gear rolling burn outs or run 11 sec 1/4 miles, i just need it to pull my little trailer and not blow up on me. And im not really in a "rush" to get it running, as I do have another vehicle to drive. Believe me, i DO want my truck back, I want nothing more right now, but its not exactly #1 on my priority list in life right now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Gotcha. I just wondered why that wasn't the course of action when you decided it needed a new rotating assembly. Lotsa folks pick up a good motor and haul it home and switch em out. But it sounds like you'll have a motor relatively soon.

Best of luck.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Yeah, If I would've known that it was bad, way before i put this money in it, i would've done exactly that. Just picked up a good motor, cleaned it up, and threw it in. It was just that i already had all kinds of money into this one, so it wasn't plausible.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I hope like hell it fires right up and hums along better than the original. Should be gobs smoother.

Latest posts

Members online