Potential Fuel Pressure Issue

jschildm

Reaction score
After some research I discovered the pigtails online. Thanks for the part numbers. I like the idea of no soldering, but it is likely the cheaper/easier fix. With that said, I think it not starting now in addition to still having low fuel pressure would push me even more towards fuel pump issue, and not glow plugs.

jschildm

Reaction score
Ordered pigtail from NAPA today. The local diesel shop and the ford dealership weren't a lot of help. Should be in tomorrow, so I hope to get to it sometime this weekend. I might mess with it a little bit tonight to get the pins off that are still stuck on the UVCH. Would it hurt anything to spray some PB Blaster on the connector to help break it loose?

jschildm

Reaction score
Got the UVCH connector cleaned up, and the connector off of the engine harness. The glow plug pins were both melted off. Must be from the high current going through to heat the glow plugs. The harness from napa should be in tomorrow, so i should get to it either tomorrow night or saturday afternoon.

On a side night, I am ordering my fuel system from Jake as we speak. I am very interested to see how the starting is with the electric fuel system. Compared to my very weak stocker.

jschildm

Reaction score
One more question ... as the glow plugs start to get bad, does the resistance go up? The spec Patrick sent was 0.1 to 2.0 ohms. If they are bad will there be more resistance?

kampy

Reaction score
Yea, it's pretty common when you start working on the older stuff there ends up being collateral damage, especially plastic items.

The resistance can go up but usually they will just go to an open and not work.

Obviously the fuel pump ended up being the primary culprit since it didn't get any better with the schrader valve out but since your GP connections were melted I wonder if they were actually working properly even though the plugs themselves ohmed out ok. Could have been a contributing factor if you've been having hard starts.

Either way, good luck with your new project, hope it's much better when you get it buttoned back up.

jschildm

Reaction score
Yeah, i still think the culprit is the fuel pump. I believe the GP's were connected until i pulled the plug apart (and broke the pins). Either way, getting rid of oil soaked, half melted, incredibly brittle plastic can't be a bad thing. I will keep everyone posted on the results of the pigtail and fuel pump install. THe pump install depends a lot on if I take the truck back to Indiana for the holidays or not.

jschildm

Reaction score
Got the plug on today. Truck started pretty re. Still some issue from the fuel pump but gp's are good to go again. Should have the fuel system end of next week ir beginning of the following week. Should be able to put it on then if I take the truck back to IN. Glad the plug worked and she is back up and running.

jschildm

Reaction score
Jake is still waiting on regulators, so it looks like this isn't likely going to happen until I am back in Iowa sometime after the new year. Luckily its supposed to stay fairly warm so starts havent been too bad. I just make sure i have an extension cord with me, haha. I am getting anxious to see the starting and performance differences, especially with my pump being so weak.

jschildm

Reaction score
The fuel system is sitting on my porch, according to the tracking number. I will hopefully start working on it tonight, but it might take me until this weekend to finish up because i dont have a lot of time in the evenings. I will update with whether or not this fixed the starting issue.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
If the pig tails are bad on the outside you needed to replace the ones inside and replace the GP. I learned this the hard way. Mine actually melt the pig tails outside. Replaced them inside and out and for some reason it did it again and I replaced my GP's no more problems.

jschildm

Reaction score
Well, after a little more headache than I expected, I have the fuel system pretty well installed. I tried to fire up the truck tonight ... and no-go. Part of it was the batteries had drained a little. I am charging the batteries tonight, and we will see how that goes.

I think i messed up testing a few of the GPs last time, so I checked a few of them again. A couple i couldnt get to read, but one of them had a resistance just under 60 ohms. That gp with high resistance was on the melted/replaced plug. I am wondering if there is more damage inside, as purpleheart mentioned.

Sometimes as its cranking it sounds like what almost sounds like a miss to me. I am going to try plugging it in tomorrow and make sure it starts and runs after fuel pump install. Then hopefully test all of the GP's through the harness a little better, and go from there.

Wow ... another long response. Sorry.

jschildm

Reaction score
Got back from work today after having it plugged in all day and the truck pretty well fired right up. I am thinking that its probably time pull the VCs and replace the gasket harness and UVCH's. I also have 8 glow plugs that I can put in. Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions? I struggled to get some of the pins for the GP's to give me a reading, I am not sure if that means there is somethign wrong with the connection or I just can't get a connection to the pin and/or ground. I am going to try and get some aligator clips to use to help make it easier to hold everything.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I have found that an alligator clip helps alot. It is hard to hold the tester lead steady on the GP pin.

How is your fuel pressure now?

jschildm

Reaction score
Fuel pressure is great! I just got back about three hours after starting it earlier and it fired right up again. I did really expect it to as it's cold here in IA. I am going to try again tomorrow morning without it plugged in all night. It was good to hear it run though.

jschildm

Reaction score
I am working on changing the GPs, UVCH, and VC gasket. I ran into a small issue though ... I have some GPs that are Bosch to put in, but they look very different from what i removed. Did I get the wrong ones? See picture below.

Attachments

• 2012-02-18_11-26-51_499.jpg
    2012-02-18_11-26-51_499.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34

purpleheart350

Reaction score
I am going to go with Hell yea they are the wrong ones. If you can get Motorcraft from the dealership they were $10.50 each when I got mine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.