Quick trans question.

RSK

Reaction score
Stock turbo and stock fuel burnt up a converter that took out everything else with it for my first trans. That was with a $7k trans. That was the start of my horror story with a company that thought they could build a 5r110. A month later it was clutch packs and a month after that it was solenoids, the next time it was a busted billet overdrive planetary at only half throttle!!!! (I'm never reloading early lock trans die again). And this last time it seams better but they didnt tighten up the damn nut in there for the shifter linkage and now my reverse lights and back up camera will come on all the time while driving down the road.

This is a place that builds performance transmissions but it was their first 5r110 they have touched.

Do yourself a favor and have a business rebuild it that also has trans files to go along with it and I also believe a couple of them have 3 year warranty's with it.

I have gear head tuning, i can get a trans tune when i get it built. The that built my buddies trans has been building 5r110's since they came out. So he knows how to rebuild them. I'm doing all new solenoids when i build it even though mine all work perfect.

stroker221

Reaction score
Ya after my last trans I ordered gearhead tunes and now I just leave it on race and never switch tunes. The relearn process to me just kills these things

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I have gear head tuning, i can get a trans tune when i get it built. The that built my buddies trans has been building 5r110's since they came out. So he knows how to rebuild them. I'm doing all new solenoids when i build it even though mine all work perfect.

Knowing how to rebuild them. And knowing how to build them to live with added power are 2 totally different things

swinky

Reaction score
Twisted, Midwest, Warren, darkhorse and plenty others build great 5rs with a solid warranty. I just don't see the point of saving money to have some rookie build it.

And honestly rsk I've seen more than one of your posts talking about how good your business is doing and how much money you make. I don't make chit and still dropped 5k on a proven trans.

RSK

Reaction score
Twisted, Midwest, Warren, darkhorse and plenty others build great 5rs with a solid warranty. I just don't see the point of saving money to have some rookie build it.

And honestly rsk I've seen more than one of your posts talking about how good your business is doing and how much money you make. I don't make chit and still dropped 5k on a proven trans.

I dropped 5k on fully built suncoast trans back for my cummins when i was 20 working 3 days a week for 6 months out of the year doing landscaping as a hobby... I honestly don't want to have to deal with shipping a trans back and forth if i have any issues with it. Spending 5,000 for a built trans isn't an issue. especially considering i just bought a 2400 dollar snow blower just for sidewalks and picked up two...not one but two stainless 8'6" v plows so each of my trucks has one. One being brand new and that whole setup was 6,000 and the other used which was 3,000 for just the plow and another 600 for the wiring. I spend on average 50-60,000 a year on my business. So i spend plenty of money. There are guys on here that probably spend that in a month for their business but that's not my point, my point is i have no problem spending 5,000 on a trans. Honestly having it fully built the parts alone will be 5,000. I just don't think it costs 3,000 to properly build a trans to handle 850-900hp

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
I dropped 5k on fully built suncoast trans back for my cummins when i was 20 working 3 days a week for 6 months out of the year doing landscaping as a hobby... I honestly don't want to have to deal with shipping a trans back and forth if i have any issues with it. Spending 5,000 for a built trans isn't an issue. especially considering i just bought a 2400 dollar snow blower just for sidewalks and picked up two...not one but two stainless 8'6" v plows so each of my trucks has one. One being brand new and that whole setup was 6,000 and the other used which was 3,000 for just the plow and another 600 for the wiring. I spend on average 50-60,000 a year on my business. So i spend plenty of money. There are guys on here that probably spend that in a month for their business but that's not my point, my point is i have no problem spending 5,000 on a trans. Honestly having it fully built the parts alone will be 5,000. I just don't think it costs 3,000 to properly build a trans to handle 850-900hp

that's where you are mistaken.

RSK

Reaction score
that's where you are mistaken.

Well maybe i'll talk to the guys at champion transmission they are a site vendor on here and located about 1 hour away in ct and from what i've heard on here can build a 5r110 to hold up to big power. For now i think i'm gonna wait and just keep driving the truck and when it doesn't move anymore i'll get it built to the sky. One thing about me, i am cheap, but when something like a trans needs to be replaced i over build it and will spend the money so it doesn't happen again.

sootie

Reaction score
Well maybe i'll talk to the guys at champion transmission they are a site vendor on here and located about 1 hour away in ct and from what i've heard on here can build a 5r110 to hold up to big power. For now i think i'm gonna wait and just keep driving the truck and when it doesn't move anymore i'll get it built to the sky. One thing about me, i am cheap, but when something like a trans needs to be replaced i over build it and will spend the money so it doesn't happen again.

when you do the trans, be sure get a new cooler and clean out the lines...

RSK

Reaction score
when you do the trans, be sure get a new cooler and clean out the lines...

Probably just get new trans lines. I bought my alradco intercooler purely for looks, knowing it would give me any hp gains until i had bigger turbos on the truck, so if i spent 900 on an aftermarket intercooler for looks i'm sure replacing trans lines won't be an issue.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
RSK all I have is an Elite competition rebuild kit, a tcs hd billet input, a dpc 12" converter and pieces of a shift kit. In parts I have about 2500-2600. That's not including gaskets and papers for the trans, oil, the New lines and cooler, and labor.

For what its worth, my trans is holding up great. No slippage. No crazy shift flares. It sees quite a bit of wot pulls in 4th and 5th with the tc locked. I've never drag raced with it, and have only done 2 boosted launches. But for what it's worth and what I do with it its holding up great and has like 8-9k on it so far.

madman1234509

Reaction score
If you're going to replace the trans lines replace the cooler as well. The cooler is what traps the debris that could potentially wipe out clutches.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.