Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'm pondering the 2brl swap now. I can get an adapter and keep my 4brl intake, but I can't find specs on what cfm that 2brl I have is. It's a direct replacement for a 77 F100 with 302, according to anywhere that sells it. It's a....

Autoline C8061A is on the tag. It's a reman Motorcraft carb....has Motorcraft stamped right on the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I'm pondering the 2brl swap now. I can get an adapter and keep my 4brl intake, but I can't find specs on what cfm that 2brl I have is. It's a direct replacement for a 77 F100 with 302, according to anywhere that sells it. It's a....

Autoline C8061A is on the tag. It's a reman Motorcraft carb....has Motorcraft stamped right on the top.

If it was me, and from what I've read you do a fair amount of on road driving, I'd be re jetting your 4bbl carb at the very least. A vacuum gauge is always your friend. It should be possible to play with that 600 and make it work. Something like this:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...gclid=CPGD2ci1mdQCFQ9EfgodK7cBQA&gclsrc=aw.ds

will make life easy if you have the time and patience to jump into tuning a carb. That and a quality vacuum gauge. Again, assuming (fwiw) that you have no vacuum leaks for your timing advance etc, or vacuum leaks in general. That one capped off hose that looks like it should be that way will get you in the end. Good luck. I live vicariously through this thread every time I read!! :)

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i would still jet the 600 down. you will ultimately get more top end out of it. it should be able to do exactly what you want it to do. just needs fine tuning!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I wasn't sure it was worth jetting down that far as opposed to just running a smaller carb. The time isn't an issue...this is just a toy that gets driven a couple days a week. I guess I need to freshen up on carb tuning then! I'll get a good gauge and start playing around with it.

As always, thanks for all the advice you guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I wasn't sure it was worth jetting down that far as opposed to just running a smaller carb. The time isn't an issue...this is just a toy that gets driven a couple days a week. I guess I need to freshen up on carb tuning then! I'll get a good gauge and start playing around with it.

As always, thanks for all the advice you guys.

I don't know anything about the stock motorcraft carb that was on it but i know there is more you can do to a holley style carb more easily.. might even call summit and talk to the carb tech guys and ask if there is a better starting point.

6speedsd

Reaction score
FWIW....

I've been reading on carb adjustments and such lately. One that I figure I'd try was checking the accelerator pump lever clearance. Supposedly Holley says .010" clearance between the arm and throttle lever. So, out came my trust feeler gauge set, slide that feeler between the two, and low and behold the arm moved down. Well lookie here....looks like my acc pump is coming in too soon. Adjusted it so I got just a slight drag with the feeler, and headed off to work in it. It actually made a noticeable difference! Up through the gears feels more "peppy", if that's even a word, so that's a step in the right direction.

I was cruising about 70, and figured I'd stab it. Wasn't enough to make the trans kick down (lord knows what rpm it would have hit at that speed if it did!), but I stood on into it. Feels like it took 5 minutes to go from 70 to 80mph. Of course it wasn't that long, but was what seemed like far too long. 80mph is about 3000 rpms....damn do those Magnaflows sound good at 3k.

If I ever get home at a decent hour, I'll talk to Summit and see what jets this carb has stock, and see what they suggest as far as what to drop down to. Their tech guys seem to know their chit. Will get me a ballpark starting point anyways.

Filled up again....still floating about 12.5mpg.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Awesome thread! I would like to get an older truck like this one day to put my 391 stroker in.

Good suggestions from the guys on tuning the carb. If I was trying to get it perfect, I would probably buy one of these (or something similar). Should be interesting to see how the fuel economy changes with carb tuning.

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO-Ratio-Gauge/dp/B00N3VGPYS

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
FWIW....

I've been reading on carb adjustments and such lately. One that I figure I'd try was checking the accelerator pump lever clearance. Supposedly Holley says .010" clearance between the arm and throttle lever. So, out came my trust feeler gauge set, slide that feeler between the two, and low and behold the arm moved down. Well lookie here....looks like my acc pump is coming in too soon. Adjusted it so I got just a slight drag with the feeler, and headed off to work in it. It actually made a noticeable difference! Up through the gears feels more "peppy", if that's even a word, so that's a step in the right direction.

I was cruising about 70, and figured I'd stab it. Wasn't enough to make the trans kick down (lord knows what rpm it would have hit at that speed if it did!), but I stood on into it. Feels like it took 5 minutes to go from 70 to 80mph. Of course it wasn't that long, but was what seemed like far too long. 80mph is about 3000 rpms....damn do those Magnaflows sound good at 3k.

If I ever get home at a decent hour, I'll talk to Summit and see what jets this carb has stock, and see what they suggest as far as what to drop down to. Their tech guys seem to know their chit. Will get me a ballpark starting point anyways.

Filled up again....still floating about 12.5mpg.

nice! that is definitely a step in the right direction..

small block gasser has less torque than hp.. lol.. it will seem like forever to jump 10mph..

those super 44s will sound even better!!! but like i mentioned before, they are loud.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Awesome thread! I would like to get an older truck like this one day to put my 391 stroker in.

Good suggestions from the guys on tuning the carb. If I was trying to get it perfect, I would probably buy one of these (or something similar). Should be interesting to see how the fuel economy changes with carb tuning.

That's cheating, I like it!

6speedsd

Reaction score

That is a good idea. Would help dial it in I'm sure. As for fuel economy, I can't expect much considering most of my drive to work is at 70mph (2700rpms), but I did figure it would be closer to 15ish.

nice! that is definitely a step in the right direction..

small block gasser has less torque than hp.. lol.. it will seem like forever to jump 10mph..

those super 44s will sound even better!!! but like i mentioned before, they are loud.

Loud is good though! I want to hear that cam at idle...chambered will make that happen. I should have just got them in the first place like I wanted to do, but having those Magnaflows just sitting here on a shelf was too tempting not to put them on.

I actually ordered the 44's last night, along with a set of tires.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That is a good idea. Would help dial it in I'm sure. As for fuel economy, I can't expect much considering most of my drive to work is at 70mph (2700rpms), but I did figure it would be closer to 15ish.

Loud is good though! I want to hear that cam at idle...chambered will make that happen. I should have just got them in the first place like I wanted to do, but having those Magnaflows just sitting here on a shelf was too tempting not to put them on.

badass!

ja_cain

Reaction score

I don't mean to sound like a retard, but what are "44's"? I demand a video. Lol!

6speedsd

Reaction score
LOL

Flowmaster Super 44's. Supposedly deeper and meaner than their standard 40 series. I'll find out next week.

Trying to decide if I want to keep it ran out the side in front of the tires like it is now, or take it back past the axle.

ja_cain

Reaction score
LOL

Flowmaster Super 44's. Supposedly deeper and meaner than their standard 40 series. I'll find out next week.

Trying to decide if I want to keep it ran out the side in front of the tires like it is now, or take it back past the axle.

I always loved the sound of Flowmasters. That's what's going back on my Chevelle when I decide to put it back on the road. I bet those 44's are going to sound awesome. I like the look of right behind the tire, turned down and rotated out aboit 30 degrees. I don't much care for the big chrome tips.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think I'm leaving it in front of the tires for the time being. I kinda like hearing my exhaust....the kid in me still I guess. Right now it's just pipe out the side, no tips. Might toss on a set of small chrome ones just to pretty it up a little. A matter of time before that pipe starts looking fugly.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think I'm leaving it in front of the tires for the time being. I kinda like hearing my exhaust....the kid in me still I guess. Right now it's just pipe out the side, no tips. Might toss on a set of small chrome ones just to pretty it up a little. A matter of time before that pipe starts looking fugly.

paint it black with header paint

6speedsd

Reaction score
I thought about that, but I think it needs a little chrome here and there to tie in the bumpers (still need to get a rear bumper, but it'll be stock style in chrome)

ja_cain

Reaction score

I cant argue with wanting that sound. I've never run exhaust like that, so I don't know the difference. Might try it some time for chits and giggles.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I thought about that, but I think it needs a little chrome here and there to tie in the bumpers (still need to get a rear bumper, but it'll be stock style in chrome)

I like the black header paint Jake suggested. You could always try it first and then switch over to a small chrome tip.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.