Resurgence of a F100

sootie

Reaction score
Burnout time!

Keep it old school and put some BFG radial t/a's on it...

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yep. I've been looking at brands for a few weeks now. My priority now is tires and to see if I can't get some of that slop out of the front end. Problem is you don't have very many options in a 275/60/15. Of course the Cooper Cobras that are on it now, Mastercraft makes one, BFG makes one that costs more than one of my E load range tires, and there's one or 2 more brands. Either Hankook or Hoosier....I forget which. They all get pretty good reviews, but it'll come down to what my tire guy can get most likely. Highly doubt it'll be the cobras though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Never ran anything Hankook personally. The BFG'S are out of the equation. I'm not paying $200+ /tire on this tank. The Cobras seem too soft, so I'm probably ruling those put. The Mastercraft had a lower speed rating, I think, and reviews seemed to say they were noisy. However, they all seemed to have relatively the same tread pattern.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Never ran anything Hankook personally. The BFG'S are out of the equation. I'm not paying $200+ /tire on this tank. The Cobras seem too soft, so I'm probably ruling those put. The Mastercraft had a lower speed rating, I think, and reviews seemed to say they were noisy. However, they all seemed to have relatively the same tread pattern.

do you think you will be able to hear a lil noise from a street tire over the exhaust on that thing? id say mastercraft myself.. they are made in USA!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Of course not. Just stating a fact is all. Comparing apples to apples I guess.

I ran a set of Mastercraft years ago and got horrible mileage out of them, so was a little skeptical to buy another set. But maybe they've improved over the years?

Speaking of exhaust....I think I'm going to give your Super 44's a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Got the new choke assembly put on earlier. Set straight up, it still won't open fully, which is still keeping it idled up too high. I rotated it from 12:00 to about 3:00 before it would let it open fully, but now it won't close the choke at all on a cold start. I don't know what's up with this damn thing. Weird for it to just all of a sudden act dumb. I need to rotate it back a little until it will at least activate on a cold start, but I'm tired and lazy and don't feel like ***'n with it anymore today.

Oh, and I now have an oil leak. I "think" it's around the oil drain plug, but hard to tell fully. Need to drain the oil and put on a new copper washer. Just did an oil change, so waiting until the next one is too long. Had a pretty good puddle under it while we were at the inlaws this afternoon...maybe 4" square.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Of course not. Just stating a fact is all. Comparing apples to apples I guess.

I ran a set of Mastercraft years ago and got horrible mileage out of them, so was a little skeptical to buy another set. But maybe they've improved over the years?

Speaking of exhaust....I think I'm going to give your Super 44's a try.

im getting decent mileage out of many sets of the mxt tire by mastercraft.

they sound mean af!!
Got the new choke assembly put on earlier. Set straight up, it still won't open fully, which is still keeping it idled up too high. I rotated it from 12:00 to about 3:00 before it would let it open fully, but now it won't close the choke at all on a cold start. I don't know what's up with this damn thing. Weird for it to just all of a sudden act dumb. I need to rotate it back a little until it will at least activate on a cold start, but I'm tired and lazy and don't feel like ***'n with it anymore today.

Oh, and I now have an oil leak. I "think" it's around the oil drain plug, but hard to tell fully. Need to drain the oil and put on a new copper washer. Just did an oil change, so waiting until the next one is too long. Had a pretty good puddle under it while we were at the inlaws this afternoon...maybe 4" square.

wtf is up with that thing.. might need to call summit again..

or ****** the choke and butterfly till it gets cold enough to need it.. if that carb is setup right, 2 pumps of the throttle and turn the key and she should fire up and purr.. thats hiw i set the carbs i usef to run on my old gasser fords..

6speedsd

Reaction score
It fires up now with one pump, no choke. Just doesn't want to idle until you keep it running for a minute or so. I just don't like pushing issues to the side. I don't need it now, but I don't want to be fooling with it later when I do need it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It fires up now with one pump, no choke. Just doesn't want to idle until you keep it running for a minute or so. I just don't like pushing issues to the side. I don't need it now, but I don't want to be fooling with it later when I do need it.

thats good.. it is still a restriction having to flow around the butterfly though. im wondering now that if it isnt opening all the way if that is your mid range issue...

6speedsd

Reaction score
LOL, yep, my thoughts exactly. I still need to find out what size the factory jets are in this carb. I still believe that's the issue.

mandkole

Reaction score
Id be looking more at a distributor issue.. vac advance malfunction? Can you suck on the tube and it pulls the advance? That motor wont have any unusual fuel demand, but unless you get something below a 600, most aftermarket carbs can actually be too big for a stock 302. In that case, they will need to be overfueled a tad to support the crappy signal.

Id also be looking for mystery vacuum leaks.. cant carb tune until they are gone. Old brake boosters are famous for that.

Working on old cars...

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
For a "stock" 302 the formula is this size(302)X rpm (5,000)/ 3500= 431 cfm so a 450 BRL would be fine with room for headers and such.

Stock cam is not going to allow you to pull pst 5k anyways so why put a larger carb on than that? I've ran a 600 Holley on 289's and 302's for years. Never really paid much mind to it until I jumped into a buddys Mustang II with a strong 5.0 and properly set up 450 carb. Quite a difference imo.

I ditched my 600, got a vacuum secondary 450cfm carb and never looked back. My .02 cents fwiw.

(also, I've read this thread from end to end at an earlier time, and couldn't remember if you cammed the motor or not. this is in reference to a stock motor)

mandkole

Reaction score
For a "stock" 302 the formula is this size(302)X rpm (5,000)/ 3500= 431 cfm so a 450 BRL would be fine with room for headers and such.

Stock cam is not going to allow you to pull pst 5k anyways so why put a larger carb on than that? I've ran a 600 Holley on 289's and 302's for years. Never really paid much mind to it until I jumped into a buddys Mustang II with a strong 5.0 and properly set up 450 carb. Quite a difference imo.

I ditched my 600, got a vacuum secondary 450cfm carb and never looked back. My .02 cents fwiw.

(also, I've read this thread from end to end at an earlier time, and couldn't remember if you cammed the motor or not. this is in reference to a stock motor)

:thumbup: Agreed, drivability is the key issue here. I was real happy with a small 4 bbl on an old 289 years ago.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i didnt even think of all of that!! i remember now that my old 400 wouldnt run worth a crap with the holey 600 i had on it. took it to my neighbor and he was a drag racer and he jetted it down a lot. dont remember exactly what it was but it was running way to fat. he pulled plugs and inspected them with his lil magnifying scope thingy and kept jetting it down till the burn mark was perfect. then had to do it all over when i had it rebuilt with head work and a 60 over bore.. ran like a banshee after it was rebuilt and the carb was readjusted.. never ever needed a choke. not even in the dead of winter.. pump it twice and started it up with a flick of the key..

i remember calling jegs and inquiring about msd ignitions and telling them what i had and they said i had way to much carb for a 400m.. said exactly what was said above with a 450-500ish size carb.. i have seen guys run big single barrel carbs on 305/350 gm motors and run like a bat outta hell.. so that proves it too..

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yes, I did cam it. I forget the actual specs on the cam though. I was a little worried a 600 would be too much, but didn't think it would be enough to make that big of a difference. With the cam and headers, I figured I'd make up for some of it. The blown motor that was in the truck actually had a cast intake and new 2brl on it. Maybe I should go retro and throw it back on there....

Shouldn't have any vacuum leaks. Manual brakes so no booster, and I only have one line to the advance, and another line that splits to the trans and hvac. I ran all new hose on install, so those should be good. I'll try checking the advance next chance I get though just to confirm it's working.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Cam spec sheet...what you can read of it anyways

01dd2db8a55c4d7a9e4eaea9b20edb3e.jpg