Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
Summit 600cfm and their dual plane. Heard a lot of good reviews out of their setup and decided to give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Summit 600cfm and their dual plane. Heard a lot of good reviews out of their setup and decided to give it a try.

right on... that a eldebrock or holy style carb? I have been out of the carbureted gasser world for dam near 20 years..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

6speedsd

Reaction score
The more I think about how the engine was that I took out of the truck, the more I'm wondering if that "dropped valve" was actually not enough piston to valve clearance. (The valve it wiped out was an intake valve). The cam that was in it was a 260/260 duration, .447/.447 lift and he ran it with stock springs. Now that I have my bottom end together, and the heads reassembled, clearance is bugging me a little. Did the clay method last night sort of briefly, but did it all wrong I think. I had the HG on there under the head, and without thinking used one of my hydraulic lifters. That way, clearance was at like .075 on the intake, and something like .180 on the exhaust. I know I can't use those results since I didn't use a solid lifter. I'm going to do it again later, and pull one of my lifters apart and make it a solid. I really hope I don't end up with clearance issues, because I'd really like to use this cam, but if it comes down to it, I'll throw the stock roller setup back in there.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know on a gasser that it isn't that hard to adjust valve lash but I'd still run the stock roller setup so that you don't have to adjust them every few thousand miles.. unless it's going to be more of a weekend/drag strip truck and not a sumer time daily driver?

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
Not running roller rockers or anything at would need periodic adjustment. Hydraulic lifters and the factory stamped rocker arms with the bolt (no stud). Bolt gets torqued down and off you go.

6speedsd

Reaction score
When I said stock roller setup, I meant the roller cam and roller lifters that were in it to begin with. Those are still hydraulic lifters though, and using the same rockers, so it's 6 one way half a dozen the other. Only thing I know with certainty with the roller setup is there would be no clearance issues, as it's what comes stock in that motor.

I "think" I'll be fine with this Comp cam, considering it's just a mild street cam, and I have already installed the stiffer springs to match. However being as this engine was from a Mustang, and my old one was a truck engine, I may be dealing with a higher compression ratio now, which could put me close. I'll get a chance to fool with it later this evening and will do the clay method again to see what I get.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, soooo....I checked clearance on 2 cylinders. With stock length pushrods (6.881"), and a solid lifter (I took one of my hydraulic ones and put a tack weld on the bore so it couldn't compress at all), I have like 3/16" of clearance on both valves. Shouldn't it be a little tighter than that?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, soooo....I checked clearance on 2 cylinders. With stock length pushrods (6.881"), and a solid lifter (I took one of my hydraulic ones and put a tack weld on the bore so it couldn't compress at all), I have like 3/16" of clearance on both valves. Shouldn't it be a little tighter than that?

Never mind....I didn't do the math before posting. That's only like 0.187"....min I think is like 0.120", so I'm good I think.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
lol.. good catch

yeah, I know the stock roller setup is hydraulic roller tip lifters.. roller is smoother regardless if hydraulic or solid. solid wont fail at higher rpm.. that is the benefit of solid..

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
Never mind....I didn't do the math before posting. That's only like 0.187"....min I think is like 0.120", so I'm good I think.

solid lifter, adjust to zero lash, rotate two turns and measure. The .120 is fine. unless you have no relief on the pistons, that cam shouldn't have given any trouble at all. I just did this process on the 306, but my cam is .530" with the 1.7 rockers--good thing the pistons had a decent relief lol

6speedsd

Reaction score
solid lifter, adjust to zero lash, rotate two turns and measure. The .120 is fine. unless you have no relief on the pistons, that cam shouldn't have given any trouble at all. I just did this process on the 306, but my cam is .530" with the 1.7 rockers--good thing the pistons had a decent relief lol

I didn't think I'd have an issue, especially considering I have valve reliefs in the pistons. But, I just couldn't make myself skip that step and not check it. I'd be sick if I put it back together and ***ed up the head right off the start because I missed something.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Starting to look like an engine again.

7e03e0017a3aa8430ef9525bc0221c29.jpg

001c65279a5f8abe67105ade0b16edaa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Anyone have a use for these? Hedman GT-40 shorties. I "think" they are for a Mustang, but don't hold me to that. 289-302 engines. How does $100 sound?

90d0610840f8bf74c0435d831be71093.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Wondered how long before someone commented on the color......

Yeah, orange and black is sort of a chebbie theme, but I didn't want to stab a blue motor in an orange truck. Trying to make it somewhat match, and I didn't think any other color (besides all black, which I wasn't doing) would look right in there.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. Hopefully this weekend I can post a pic or two of how it looks under the hood.

Latest posts

Members online