Swamps IDM

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
he stated he runs the Swamps idm.

Wondering if he had purchased it before they began the frequency modifications. It could just be a high voltage unit from Swamps.

Claiming that you can do the resistor mod and get the same change out of your garage is 100% false. That is what led me to believe he may have just a HV unit from Swamps.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Ive had swamps idm in my truck for the past 3 years with a couple different sets of big injectors.. Touchy pedal was never an issue.
I have the swamps IDM. If its worth it or not is in the eyes of the beholder. Ea truck will react slightly different from one another. I used to think the swamps IDM was worth it, but the more I play around with different tunes, etc; I would say the money is better spent elsewhere.

It also depends on what you are looking for. Yes on paper the IDM is better, but in the real world, not so much necessarily. If you have big injectors or touchy tunes, this is not for you. If you do not like a touchy pedal, this is not for you. If you have tunes that are mild on the beginning of the pedal, then you might like it.
I have run the swamps IDM on stock sticks, 250/100's, PHP tunes, Beans tunes, Curtis tunes. Big injectors with custom tunes amplifies what the Swamps IDM does in the way of feel/touchiness.
PHP on big injectors is at the maximum of my comfort zone for pedal sensitivity. Beans tunes on big injectors and Swamps IDm is too touchy but not as touchy as my old DP tunes. I do not like how touchy/sensitive it is. I barely touch the pedal and the power comes on too much. However during normal driving with Beans tunes, the IDm is fine.
I have been working with Curtis F on some tunes for my truck, His tunes are usually super stockish for the first part of the pedal; more so than PHP. The swamps IDM helps in this regard to make the tunes less stock feeling.
With stock sticks and php or Curtis tunes; the IDM is very nice. However tunes can be adjusted to get the same feel without the need for this IDM. This is where ea individual has their own opinions on it being worth it or not. I will say if I did it over again, I would not buy this idm even if I needed a new IDM. I picked up a spare stock 120v IDM for $100; its basically new.

Good luck in your decisions, but I would put the money into something else; unless you do not have anything else to spend the money on. I also know a guy that saw different results with his swamps idm compared to mine. Beans IDM will give you similar results as will modding the idm yourself. Doing your owm IDM mod is a cheap alternative. It just takes your time and a couple bucks for the resistor.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Love mine, will add another one to the Excursion as money allows.

Not one single down side.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have a thread in here giving my reasons in more detail, but idle quality, drivablity, smoke control, EGT's, MPG's and HP...

I would honestly say it was the best $200 bucks I have spent in a while.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Wondering if he had purchased it before they began the frequency modifications. It could just be a high voltage unit from Swamps.

Claiming that you can do the resistor mod and get the same change out of your garage is 100% false. That is what led me to believe he may have just a HV unit from Swamps.

How long since the new IDM? Sorry been off the forums for awhile.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
What he said ^^^^^

If you have used it. please state with what size injectors.. If you have dyno or track times that show the difference that would be great to!!!

Stroker#66

Reaction score
I noticed a tenth and 2 mph difference in the quarter with 250/200s. I can deffinatly tell it pulls harder threw the mid all the way out in the RPMs

Christof13T

Reaction score
What's your logic on thinking it benefits singles more than split shots? Both injectors get a single PW signal from the IDM when they fire. In fact everything works the same for both types from the PCM all the way until you get out to the plunger and barrel inside the actual injector

Ok...
Call it flimsy... but again... its just an opinion...
A reasonably unqualifiable opinion at that...

I just feel with single shots... there is less interruption of the extra energy one is able to take advantage of with faster actuation of the solenoid resulting from this modification.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ok...
Call it flimsy... but again... its just an opinion...
A reasonably unqualifiable opinion at that...

I just feel with single shots... there is less interruption of the extra energy one is able to take advantage of with faster actuation of the solenoid resulting from this modification.

The split shot of a split shot injector is purely mechanical... The IDM has nothing, nor PCM to do with it.

Christof13T

Reaction score
The split shot of a split shot injector is purely mechanical... The IDM has nothing, nor PCM to do with it.

Right-e-o...
But on both accounts the mechanical operation is dependant on the electrical component operating as well....

My thinking on this is simply a matter of timing.

Since you can get the sucker to open a hair faster than without the mod...
Compare that extra time the plunger is actually traveling between the two types...

With single shot sticks... just that... 1 shot and it takes advantage of all that extra time to spit it...

With splits... yeah your timing is also slightly advanced... but the shot is still broken up...
So cut the advance gained for splits by the time gap between injections...

Or am i totally off on how splits work?
If so..
Dont hate... educate.

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
I ordered my custom tune from PHP and did not tell them that I have this and the Irate fuel system on my truck. Is that going to be an issue?

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I was lazy, and just stuck a re-built 120 volt IDM offa 2002 on mine...

there's three voltages of IDM out there, 100v, 110v, and 120 volt, so I figgered, hey, what the heck, I took the 100 that came on it off, and stuck a 120 on it...runs better too....

and now I have a spare....

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I was lazy, and just stuck a re-built 120 volt IDM offa 2002 on mine...

there's three voltages of IDM out there, 100v, 110v, and 120 volt, so I figgered, hey, what the heck, I took the 100 that came on it off, and stuck a 120 on it...runs better too....

and now I have a spare....

There is one voltage that ever came on a 7.3 from factory. Multiple models but all the same voltage.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.