The last little details of my build

dommel01

Reaction score
Well so far I have a huge smile on my face, I'll do a whole writeup with pics an everything after the 7th cause I'm putting it on the dyno,

Well fist my t4 flange gasket is meaning and im being told to use a 97 PSD one, I didn't realize they had t4 flanges, anyone else had experience with these?

Anyways I'm tuning the waste gate on my 66/91 compounds, I have a manifold boost gauge and an atmospheric boost gauge, when setting the waste gate should I be going off of overall boost, so far I've had it up to 80psi with the atmospheric turbo making about 25ish psi wot, or should I be setting the wastegate for the atmospheric starts making boost, like right now at around 30psi the atmospheric turbo starts climbing in boost, nothing before that

Also I made a custom upper radiator hose an am having so issues with it leaking, anyone make one of these before and have any hints?

Lastly my wiper fluid container... what has anyone done with that as I don't think it will fit in the factory location, will one work out of something else?

Thank you guys, hoping to get this dialed in by the 7th for the dyno

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Not totally...

the more boost out of the big charger the better at wot of course. i would say i would want that thing to make 30+ my big charger makes 35psi with 78 in the manifold at 78 psi back pressure, you want back pressure to be as close to 1:1 with total boost

30 psi is a little high before the big turbo makes boost, but not too far off, my truck like around 25 and the big turbo is making around 3 psi,

It takes boost to make boost so the faster the little turbo comes on the faster you can dump to the big turbo and let it eat.

get a universal washer tank and pump, cut the factory wiring and extend it, put it up close to where the pcm connects, thats what i did on the black truck, worked fine, just a small tank is all. white truck doesnt have it because i dont care LOL

dommel01

Reaction score
Not totally...

the more boost out of the big charger the better at wot of course. i would say i would want that thing to make 30+ my big charger makes 35psi with 78 in the manifold at 78 psi back pressure, you want back pressure to be as close to 1:1 with total boost

30 psi is a little high before the big turbo makes boost, but not too far off, my truck like around 25 and the big turbo is making around 3 psi,

It takes boost to make boost so the faster the little turbo comes on the faster you can dump to the big turbo and let it eat.

get a universal washer tank and pump, cut the factory wiring and extend it, put it up close to where the pcm connects, thats what i did on the black truck, worked fine, just a small tank is all. white truck doesnt have it because i dont care LOL

OK I agree I want more out of my big charger, what can I do to get that? Should I .make the wastegate tighter? I just don't wanna destroy my 66

Matt

Reaction score
Open the gate sooner and see what happens. Easiest and cheapest way to try and get more out of your atmo. If spool up suffers, put a tighter housing on the 66 and adjust the gate to keep both chargers happy.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Opening the gate further or a bigger gate or a tight housing.

How is your gate plummed? Off one uppipe?

dommel01

Reaction score
Opening the gate sooner will help drive the atmo harder? I thought opening it later would let the 66 drive it harder, I do have a 46mm precision waste gate, would a 50 make a huge difference? An yes its plumbed off one up pipe

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Yes. Opening it sooner will drive the atmo not harder but bring it on sooner giving more boost thus more exhaust pressure. Think of it like a feed back loop but for moar POWA

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Opening the gate sooner will help drive the atmo harder? I thought opening it later would let the 66 drive it harder, I do have a 46mm precision waste gate, would a 50 make a huge difference? An yes its plumbed off one up pipe

opening the gate will help it drive harder but in the end its only going to drive so hard based on turbine size and gating.

you really need to be carefull with gating off of one side, im betting that back pressure is way higher on one side then on the other. thats what i kept running into on mine. I actually have my gate held shut with boost right now, runs better than it ever has been and back pressure is in check on both banks.

just something to consider before you get much further, i actually figured it out because i kept blowing bolts out of the left side uppipe after about 3 passes at the track

madman1234509

Reaction score
^^^ Im with ya on that. Thats why I putting a gate on each pipe. Depending on your housing size you may be able to close it off completely and still have good back pressure.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Are you gating into the atmosphere? If so, then letting the gate open early will light the atmo quicker, but like they said, it'll take away from your high pressure/spool up.

Like Dustin said, more boost out of the atmosphere is a good thing. Idk that I would be worried about driving it too hard.

Reaction score
I'm guessing he is gating to the downpipe. In order to gate it correctly you need to gate it around the 66 and back into the 91 to drive the 91 harder without over speeding the 66. I would also try and do an equalizer pipe or something to keep the back pressure the same on both banks.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Yes, I didnt even think of that. When thinking of gating around the high pressure turbo on a big set up I just assume its being gated into the atmosphere turbo. Deinitely dont want to waste all of that energy into the downpipe. And id get on adding a second waste gate on the non gated bank, or modify the up pipes so they both run into the same gate.

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I'm guessing he is gating to the downpipe. In order to gate it correctly you need to gate it around the 66 and back into the 91 to drive the 91 harder without over speeding the 66. I would also try and do an equalizer pipe or something to keep the back pressure the same on both banks.

Agreed. For ease and cleanliness, I'd go with one of these

tusyrama.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.