The last little details of my build

shmoozer

Reaction score
Agreed. For ease and cleanliness, I'd go with one of these

tusyrama.jpg

I understand the principles and concept behind using a flange like this, what I'm unsure of is exactly how you would.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
opening the gate will help it drive harder but in the end its only going to drive so hard based on turbine size and gating.

you really need to be carefull with gating off of one side, im betting that back pressure is way higher on one side then on the other. thats what i kept running into on mine. I actually have my gate held shut with boost right now, runs better than it ever has been and back pressure is in check on both banks.

just something to consider before you get much further, i actually figured it out because i kept blowing bolts out of the left side uppipe after about 3 passes at the track

Do you think this is why mike blew a piston on the left side of his silver truck? If I remember correctly he said they were running some vgt tuning of some sort.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If gating off the opposite side still results in equal back pressure to boost that's good. However I'm betting that the right bank is much lower than the left resulting in an imbalance as well as low velocity to the atmo. Have you tried closing the gate completely to see how it reacts?

dommel01

Reaction score
If gating off the opposite side still results in equal back pressure to boost that's good. However I'm betting that the right bank is much lower than the left resulting in an imbalance as well as low velocity to the atmo. Have you tried closing the gate completely to see how it reacts?

No I have not tried, I'm gonna try it as soon as I get home from the cabbin, if I gated off each up pipe wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a divided housing

Reaction score
No I have not tried, I'm gonna try it as soon as I get home from the cabbin, if I gated off each up pipe wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a divided housing

Nope, the purpose of the divided housing is to help spool up. By the time the gates are open that turbo should be totally spooled or else something's not right.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
correct.

An open housing would solve the inbalance issue but spool up will suffer, corsilli had a laggy pig with an open housing and a 71

when you close the gate all the way down be sure you just keep your eye on the back pressure or set an alarm ect so it doesnt go to high. Lots of dodge and duramax set ups dont run gates between stages or they run an internal gate in the turbo and thats it. My set up relys on the vgt to bypass the turbine a bit. Whatever it takes to make it work is all that matters.

and in all honesty your truck is probably making good power from the way it sounds. I would like to see a dyno run (thats the best place to tune the gate anyway)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.