The Singled Out Build

04cr450

Reaction score
i am sure htt will take care of ya... i am a little concerned though why your turbo did not come with a 360 bearing... i thought all the fmw's came with them.. hence also why they cost so much more than the cast ones

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i am sure htt will take care of ya... i am a little concerned though why your turbo did not come with a 360 bearing... i thought all the fmw's came with them.. hence also why they cost so much more than the cast ones

mine didnt come with one and really didnt think to ask . maybe jacoby can chime in but i believe my replacement did .

04cr450

Reaction score
how come mine came standard with one? im confused, maybe they only make the 360's standard on certain models? edit: your right morgan- i believe the 64.5 is in the new series line

JDub

Reaction score
We (HTT) have started offering the 360-thrust standard in most of our custom performance S300 FMW line of turbochargers. As in most cases those turbos are being bought by owners pushing them to the limits and the S300 will normally see much higher boost/drive ratios.

As for the S400 line of turbos, in my 3 years at HTT we have never installed a 360 thrust. Never had reason to, hundreds of S400's built and shipped with virtually none having thrust problems with the factory 270. The S400 internals are much mo robust and I can only think of three S400's in my 3 years that failed due to a thrust related issue. One was an s475 being run as a single and saw a peak of 82-psi for over 30 track passes, non-gated with spray. The other two appeared to be oil dilution related, couldn't really blame the thrust for that.

This 467 with in/out play made the second in a batch of ten we built that day to have an issue within miles of running. To say we are curious as to what has caused it is an understatement. I personally contacted the other 8 customers after hearing of back to back problems and all are running strong with plenty of abuse between then and now. Will be interested to get these two apart to get to the root of things and get our customers taken care if the best we can. Coincidentally both failed units were on 6.4 applications while the others are on 6.7 Cummins trucks.

JDub

Reaction score
how come mine came standard with one? im confused, maybe they only make the 360's standard on certain models? edit: your right morgan- i believe the 64.5 is in the new series line
We have been building the 64.5 as a 'custom' unit turbo for over two years, long before borg announced the release of the new SX-E line. In the beginning we were not doing the 360 thrust. But as time went on, the turbos built with the smaller 68mm (like bigrpower's) and 70mm turbine sizes obviously saw higher drive pressures at elevated boost levels and put more load on the thrust. Hence the move to standardizing to 360 thrust on the 'custom' s300 turbos we built with the smaller turbine side.

The new SX-E line will all have 360 thrust but are only available from Borg with the 73mm turbine size. (With the exception of the 62/68) We will continue to build the 64.5/70 in-house as it is extremely popular (love it on my dmax) but alot of our 'custom' stuff will become obsolete with the release of the SX-E product line, mostly due to price.

Reaction score

Borg Warner factory s300's did not come with a 360 thrust. They also only make a s362fmw and 467fmw currently as a factory option. And they only have 270 thrusts.

All the other different variations are not factory Borg options. They are modified cast chargers or bought as pieces and assembled by companies like HTT who build them.

The new line that just came out is the one including the s369 with is the first factory option from Borg with a 360 thrust.

We do not ever sell a 270 thrust in a modified s300. They just don't last. And we really quit selling the cast box versions because of the failure rate of them. Especially in applications like the 6.4 where they are pushed hard enough (even on stock fuel) to quickly destroy thrust bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why doesnt anyone just use a bb garrett? Cost? Seems like the performance of a bb unit would be worth the extra cost.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
There has been a bunch of back and forth on this. Some say there is such a small increase in spoolup that it isn't worth the cost. Others say it is night and day...pick your camp I guess. :doh:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
And some people just melt their Garrett and never go back. I've seen a few cases of that lately, but not on a 6.4 so I suppose it's not fair to assume. Would still make me hesitant when I see people melting turbines then they switch back to the "cheap" bw chargers and have no issues.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Why doesnt anyone just use a bb garrett? Cost? Seems like the performance of a bb unit would be worth the extra cost.

Ultimately what it comes down to is cost.... Plain and simple. When a 62mm gtx that out flows a 66mm Borg costs 2 1/2 times as much as one, almost everyone will go the cheap route... 80% of the people that do this stuff are very budget minded. The other 20% that don't care what it costs and want the best of the best buy ball bearing units or whatever crazy not off the shelf turbos there are, whether it be garrett/precision, even I higher end Borg with all of the fancy add ons.

Latest posts

Members online