Thoughts on the 6.4

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
I'm looking to sell my truck and get a newer one. My first choice is the 6.4, what's everyone's thoughts and experiences with it? Worth the money or buy something else?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Ask that question over here and you are only going to get answers like that...^^.

Go stop by a Ford dealership and talk to their tech's about it if you want to know the real story.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Ask that question over here and you are only going to get answers like that...^^.

Go stop by a Ford dealership and talk to their tech's about it if you want to know the real story.

You're totally right. As a 6.4 owner who hasn't had a single issue I must be wrong. Believe it or not I've seen one or two at work as well :doh:

907DAVE

Reaction score
I didn't want to start anything with that post, but talking to the guys who fix those things for a living is going to tell you alot more than your "niche market" type shops.

You can make a buttload of power real easy with them, but you cannot argue that they have some serious design flaws.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

I'd rather listen to some of the 16 year old forum hero's than the yukmouths that change oil and windshield wiper blades at a dealership lol

jdgleason

Reaction score
I didn't want to start anything with that post, but talking to the guys who fix those things for a living is going to tell you alot more than your "niche market" type shops.

You can make a buttload of power real easy with them, but you cannot argue that they have some serious design flaws.

What are these design flaws?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Lol Dave... I smell ignorance. I can talk to people all day, but the real world still exists. Sure there are some issues, but nothing that hasn't been fixed and certainly nothing hereditary. The only major warranty issue has been radiators , which ha supposedly been fixed. Please list all this "hearsay" if you would.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
A non deleted 6.4 is a hard sale. Emissions and egr stuff cause problems but most that have that stuff gone do well. All my issues are self inflicted... sure do wish they were 6 head bolts per cylinder tho... but that doesn't seam to be that big of an issue

WoodBoy

Reaction score
The reason DA techs at dealerships tell you bad stuff is because a lot of the time, they are the ones who are supposed to do the maintenence, and I have seen plenty of their maintenence, where they collect the money, dont fullfill the job they are supposed to do, then when it comes back for problems because of lack of maintenence, its a POS. I just dont get it

907DAVE

Reaction score
I knew I was going to stir some sh!t with that post...LOL

But seriously, why should someone who just dropped 40K on a truck have to delete and stud it just so it lasts more than 150K?

Shouldn't a guy be able to just jump in and drive or tow whatever he wishes and only worry about regular maintenance?

I know more than anyone that stuff breaks - for whatever reason, but when it happens over and over again, that's when a fella needs to take a step back from the hype and take a second look.

I'm not here to start anymore sh!t, so with that - I'm out.

jdgleason

Reaction score
No Giving **** from here, just asking what flaws you've seen? It's pretty widely known that emissions stuff destroys motors... Including cummins and duramax. Other than radiators, I don't really know of any 6.4 issues. Wondering what you've seen?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I knew I was going to stir some sh!t with that post...LOL

But seriously, why should someone who just dropped 40K on a truck have to delete and stud it just so it lasts more than 150K?

Shouldn't a guy be able to just jump in and drive or tow whatever he wishes and only worry about regular maintenance?

I know more than anyone that stuff breaks - for whatever reason, but when it happens over and over again, that's when a fella needs to take a step back from the hype and take a second look.

I'm not here to start anymore sh!t, so with that - I'm out.

Moderate power levels don't require studs. Moderate meaning decently modded 7.3 power levels ...

Your right but all manufacturers have problems with regeneration systems ask detroit and caterpillar the same thing... emissions is ruining the engines life and reliability

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
I'm not trying to start anything on here guys lol I just want the facts on these things. I'm well aware if the emissions issues and deleting it will be first on the list (if I do get one). I just want something new and I'm doing my research before getting into a payment.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I'm not trying to start anything on here guys lol I just want the facts on these things. I'm well aware if the emissions issues and deleting it will be first on the list (if I do get one). I just want something new and I'm doing my research before getting into a payment.

30k tuned, run hard it's whole life, console started squeaking so ford replaced it. Theres some facts. Lol

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
We have had quite a few of them the only problems we have had is one of the 08's had the injecters replaced underwarenty. And my 2010 is in the shop for a trans(my fault),
Never had a problem bad fuel or stupidity hasn't caused.

kylebryan

Reaction score

How many people do you know who stop by the ford dealership to tell the mechanics how reliable and problem free their trucks have been? Im assuming very little to none! All they see all day long is broken trucks which accounts for a small percentage of the entire 6.4 population....

I love my 6.4. In my opinion once you delete the DPF and EGR they are pretty much bulletproof! I have about 70k miles on my truck and 40 of those are tuned and driven hard. I pull VERY heavy loads and havent had a single ounce of trouble other than a radiator. So my opinion here is spend the money on a good clean 6.4 and enjoy yourself a great truck!!

kicker417

Reaction score
i did my research for 6months and lets just say the 6.4 had what i was looking for

kicker417

Reaction score
i wasnt to convince with 6.4 soo i went out there started looking around and till this date i dont regret my choice

Latest posts

Members online