Truck got hit by lightening. Advice please.

F250stroker08

Reaction score
I came home from work after a bad thunderstorm to see my antenna fried and lights on. Truck won't start or turn lights off. Radio works oddly. Just unhooked batteries for now. Looks like an indirect strike. Calling insurance company Thursday. If my ecm is fried could my dashdaq be fried too? If not will it still work with a new ecm? Thanks for any advice.

Sorry about grammer. Typing from phone.

BFT

Reaction score
Have you tried hooking the batteries back up to see what it will do? I don't think anything would happen to the tuner itself but unplug it for safe measures

Also... You should play the lotto

F250stroker08

Reaction score
Have you tried hooking the batteries back up to see what it will do? I don't think anything would happen to the tuner itself but unplug it for safe measures

I tried hooking them back up. Still no start. Lie o meter is solid green so i think some part of the computer is fried. Dashdaq won't turn on at all tho.

I thought about the lottery thing too lol

mortal798

Reaction score
I have had to fix a couple lightning strike vehicles over the years. Usually every module on the network needs to be replaced, everything has to be programmed, and sometimes the antenna cable is melted to oblivion. The insurance company should take care of you. For your DashDaq, I would call Drewtech and ask them what their thoughts are - but the insurance company will probably replace that too.

BFT

Reaction score
So it can't turn over then? Try plugging the DD to another vehicle with an OBD port or to your computer to see what happens.
Real sh!tty luck, man. Hope everything gets squared away with the insurance

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

I'd consider this if I were you

mortal798

Reaction score
Happens all the time, does a lot of electronics damage. Tires could insulate, but there is so much voltage that it jumps to the ground - around the tires. Like a spark jumps the gap of a spark plug.

BOSS450

Reaction score
I always find it comical when people are surprised about lightening striking a car and the tires not insulating it.... they pay not attention to the bolt of lightening co:shrug:ming from the freeking sky :shrug:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I always find it comical when people are surprised about lightening striking a car and the tires not insulating it.... they pay not attention to the bolt of lightening co:shrug:ming from the freeking sky :shrug:

The reason they do is because the tires keep the lightning from Grounding out......

Think about it like a high voltage power line you can touch it BUT if you touch the ground OR anothyer wire BOOOOOMMMM you are dead!!!! Fried to a crisp like bacaon....

Radio

Reaction score
The reason they do is because the tires keep the lightning from Grounding out......

Think about it like a high voltage power line you can touch it BUT if you touch the ground OR anothyer wire BOOOOOMMMM you are dead!!!! Fried to a crisp like bacaon....

Yeah but when you think about the mile or so that the bolt is traveling to get from the sky to ground, the 12" from your truck to ground is nothing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah but when you think about the mile or so that the bolt is traveling to get from the sky to ground, the 12" from your truck to ground is nothing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LOL I know!! I was just stating the Theory behind that type of thinking...

people that say it cant happen have never watched a spark jump across a gap ether

powerlifter405

Reaction score
My buddy bought a used truck that was near a lightning strike, it always has an gremlin acting up. Sometimes the gauges would work sometimes they wouldn't. The glow plugs wouldn't always cycle, etc..

A lot of electrical cr@p was replaced on that truck and after 3 years it still gives him fits.

If I was in your shoes, I'd see if the insurance will try to total it out. If not, have everything fixed by an electrical based company vs just a normal repair shop then off load it. I will NEVER own anything hit by lightning or that has had a surge run through it. My same friend had his house hit by lightning and it blew out every electrical component on the south side of the house. Some of the stuff he "salvaged" still gives him fits.

Latest posts

Members online