Truck won't start once in a while

leland88

Reaction score
So here's the deal. My trucks been parked for the last 2 weeks. I get home after 2 weeks and it starts fine. So I drive to my father's for coffee it's about 20 km. I shut it off there and when I go to leave it starts fine. Then I drive to a training course and the truck sits for 6 hrs. Hit the command start. The horn beeps once and it didn't start. So I go out there turn the turn and does nothing. All the dash lights and everything works normal. So I got my buddy to boost me. The jumper cables were literally on for 10 second and the truck started with out a hitch. So I drove it to the local pub and had a beer. And after I left the truck started. But this morning it did the same thing and wouldn't start. could it be the battery's even though when I boosted it the cables were only on for 10 seconds and it sat for 2 weeks and started no problem. Or is there something else that I should look at.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

leland88

Reaction score
So it done it to me twice today. I left the truck and them came back 5 mins later and it started.. to me if it was the battery it wouldn't do that

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'm lazy enough that if my batteries are 3+yrs old and I'm having any battery-related issues, I just put fresh ones in and roll out.

I have seen bad batteries cause intermittent no-start on a couple 6.7's now

leland88

Reaction score
I have to change my oil tomorrow so I will test my batteries. . I would under stand if my truck was 3 yrs old but it's only year old with 24k km

ghohouston

Reaction score
I just put a set of batteries in a 14 model dodge with 10k miles, and have put a few sets in 6.7 strokes with under 20k miles. 2012's - 2014's

leland88

Reaction score
I will find out tomorrow when I test them. Just seems odd that sitting for 2 weeks and the truck starts. Run it for a day and then it works intermittently.

Atsah

Reaction score
I will find out tomorrow when I test them. Just seems odd that sitting for 2 weeks and the truck starts. Run it for a day and then it works intermittently.

Maybe the alternator just started going south..

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Maybe the alternator just started going south..
Possible... another guy in another thread had one go out at 50-some thousand miles in his 6.7. :-/ Traditionally I'd check an alternator by seeing how many volts the batteries output with the truck off vs on & it would be roughly 12.8v increased to I think high 13v-low 14v (might've been under a 1,000rpm load :-/, haven't needed to test for quite a while). But, as a disclaimer, I have to note that the 6.7 alternators are a lot more computer controlled than a traditional one in the past. So, it seems like that should still be a legit check but, I'm not sure. Though, if ya have a multi-meter, seems like it be worth the couple minutes to check. If there's less than a volt increase, I be checking it out further...me personally anyway.

- A vet' that's gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7, tryin to gather info & help out when I can. New to the 6.7 & PSA. Please excuse my potential FNG ways.

leland88

Reaction score
Didn't start this morning again. Voltage check not running. 12.2v and running it was 14.4v that seems normal to me. I through the charger on 200 amp start. It did a single click for 3 key turn ons. then on the forth it started normal. Not hard at all. My brother has to brand new battery's he's not using. I'm going to run them for the weekend and see

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Sounds smart, to me anyway. Those volt figures sound okay to me too; for concerns of the alternator. Though, I like to see closer to 12.8v & it does take a good bit to start these trucks; maybe even more now with all the electrical do-dads I'm not used to yet. A good trickle charge on each battery, disconnected from each other, one each night might do the trick for yours; if your brother's squashes the problem. I'm guessing you thought of it & just throwing it out there as a reminder to compare CA & CCA of your brother's vs yours. I could see that potentially providing false results; obviously if your brother's doesn't have enough of either. Good luck with it this weekend.

- A vet' that's gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7, tryin to gather info & help out when I can. New to the 6.7 & PSA. Please excuse my potential FNG ways.

Atsah

Reaction score
Check all your connections, sounds like you may have a bad one somewhere.. Your readings are on the money, the fact that it clicked with 12.2 at the battery's tells me you have plenty of juice but a connection is loose..

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
If you have one weak battery it'll cause a no start. I've seen it a couple times.

One truck was a 2014 with 18k miles on it.

You could start it just fine jumping the starter trigger wire, but the PCM wouldn't allow it to start with the key.

Not saying this is your issue, just saying I wouldn't rule out a bad battery because you had 12.2v between the pair

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Did ya get to the bottom of it yet?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.