Truck won't start once in a while

leland88

Reaction score
In the next day I will.. it's been sitting while I'm out sledding. I have new batteries in it so I will up date. In the next day or so

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
Well it must be a bad battery truck started flawlessly with my brothers batteries

Did you leave your brothers batteries in your truck? You had an intermittent issue correct?

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Well it must be a bad battery truck started flawlessly with my brothers batteries

Nice, so, ya gonna try to put em on a trickle charger overnight or just get new ones? Also, if they have caps on them/are fillable, ya might check the acid/water level inside. If the coils aren't fully submerged, they can't maintain a full charge. If they're low, you can just add water and that could do the trick. I'd still trickle charge em after adding the water though. I'd used distilled water too.

- A vet' that's gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7, tryin to gather info & help out when I can. New to the 6.7 & PSA. Please excuse my potential FNG ways.

renegade

Reaction score
12.2 volts is only about 50% charged, 12.6volts is considered to be apprx 100% charged. You must check your batteries separately with a load tester to find out if they are good. Like others have said 1 bad battery can drag total volts and amps down, also only replace in pairs.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
12.2 volts is only about 50% charged, 12.6volts is considered to be apprx 100% charged. You must check your batteries separately with a load tester to find out if they are good. Like others have said 1 bad battery can drag total volts and amps down, also only replace in pairs.
I'm with ya 100% up until the last bit. Why only replace the batteries in pairs?

- A vet' that's gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7, tryin to gather info & help out when I can. New to the 6.7 & PSA. Please excuse my potential FNG ways.

leland88

Reaction score
Yes my brother batteries took away the no start issues.. my fluid levels in the batteries are normal. I will mostly just buy 2 new battery's. It will have me the headaches.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Yes my brother batteries took away the no start issues.. my fluid levels in the batteries are normal. I will mostly just buy 2 new battery's. It will have me the headaches.

Makes sense

pjcinmi

Reaction score
I'm with ya 100% up until the last bit. Why only replace the batteries in pairs?

One bad battery will cause strain on the other good battery.
Then you replace the original bad battery with a new one,and now the other good one is now the weaker battery. Causing the same issue in reverse.

It becomes a on going problem. So the answer is to replace BOTH batteries at the same time so they "assume ably" are the same strength all the time.

Kinda like you do in a Flashlight.

Hope that makes scene.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
One bad battery will cause strain on the other good battery.
Then you replace the original bad battery with a new one,and now the other good one is now the weaker battery. Causing the same issue in reverse.

It becomes a on going problem. So the answer is to replace BOTH batteries at the same time so they "assume ably" are the same strength all the time.

Kinda like you do in a Flashlight.

Hope that makes scene.

Yep, makes sense, I think... I guess I just figured that if A was bad & B was good, replace A, & you'd have two good ones. But, I can see that B would have to work harder to keep up with the new A and so, it'd wear out quicker. But, buy a new A & a new B so they both have to work equally.
Something I just thought of... they both start the truck, but they don't both equally power all items once the truck is running do they? I mean, I've briefly heard and read that one is "the main battery" & the other powers less. So, with that thought, I'd think one is worked harder than the other once the truck's started. But, they're tied together so, it seems like that shouldn't be the case. Maybe, the main is "the main" because it's directly tied to the starter. I guess I just am unclear as to why the main is "the main" if they're tied together for starting. Maybe, after starting, relays work to change the load and recharging ratio between the two. :-/ Any explanation for me?

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Yep, makes sense, I think... I guess I just figured that if A was bad & B was good, replace A, & you'd have two good ones. But, I can see that B would have to work harder to keep up with the new A and so, it'd wear out quicker. But, buy a new A & a new B so they both have to work equally.
Something I just thought of... they both start the truck, but they don't both equally power all items once the truck is running do they? I mean, I've briefly heard and read that one is "the main battery" & the other powers less. So, with that thought, I'd think one is worked harder than the other once the truck's started. But, they're tied together so, it seems like that shouldn't be the case. Maybe, the main is "the main" because it's directly tied to the starter. I guess I just am unclear as to why the main is "the main" if they're tied together for starting. Maybe, after starting, relays work to change the load and recharging ratio between the two. :-/ Any explanation for me?

They are tied together In a weird way. The passenger battery is for starting. That is the one that goes directly to the starter and directly to the alternator. The driver side one is the one that powers interior things and I believe the pcm. If you have 1 battery that has the bad and will not start the truck you can put jumper cables in between the driver and passenger side and most of the time get a start.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.