True twin turbo suggestions

kdogg85

Reaction score
What exactly would be the reasons? I could understand the weight of the rotating assembly of the turbo itself.

There's been a triple 66 setup suggested to me, but drawing it on paper still looks to be a lot of piping. Maybe in time, it would appeal more to me. Now, I'm sure I could clean up my one lonely drawing.

I'm not after max power, although a lot would be nice, but something different that'll make the wow factor when the hood goes up.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
What exactly would be the reasons? I could understand the weight of the rotating assembly of the turbo itself.

There's been a triple 66 setup suggested to me, but drawing it on paper still looks to be a lot of piping. Maybe in time, it would appeal more to me. Now, I'm sure I could clean up my one lonely drawing.

I'm not after max power, although a lot would be nice, but something different that'll make the wow factor when the hood goes up.

If you start plotting a couple of compressor maps you will see that you are way off the map and surging like crazy with that big of a turbo. That setup assuming a 3.0 liter motor and a volumetric efficiency of 70% and a very conservative goal of only 300hp per bank (600hp total) These are what you maps would look like.

You can see with the s362 you are WAY to the left of the surge line. That essentially means that you are building too much pressure and not enough flow. The turbo is way too big for the motor.
s362twin_zps5d525cc4.png

If you drop down to an s256 then it gets you much closer. You can see that you are starting to ride the surge line and just barely get inside the compressor map. If you were to increase your volumetric efficiency as you plan with better head flow design then you would be just barely inside the compressor map.
s256_zps2e6a9155.png

I played around a little and found a map that looks pretty good. The gt3571. You would fall right inside the compressor map.
gt3571_zps96aa3b94.png

I did not post any of this to swing you towards a turbo. I am also sure that you are looking for a lot more than the hp goals that I used for my reference. I was just simply trying to answer your questions as to why the s362 would not work. Let me know if you have any other questions or if none of this even make sense

alradco

Reaction score
I'd give someone like Borg Warner a call and see what they have to say as well. In for pics and updates, not something you see everyday so should be cool to watch your project develop

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
detrays truck has s s200 56mm's and 2 s400 72mm's... Charlie is hitting the nail on the head. Erics trip setup we built has a 66 secondary and 2 64 primaries.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Looked like it did awesome on the street, he drove it all over the place when I saw him down at TS. The only issue for the setup was no real easy way to mount air filters. He didn't seem to mind and I doubt it ever really left pavement anyhow.

kdogg85

Reaction score
Greg, why smaller on the primaries?

Keep the advice coming, went from 2 singles, to triples, to quads, hell, throw in a couple 14-71's and this thing ought to run. LOL

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I vote twin vgts feeding a super charger... that would be one fast spooling truck!

Mdub707

Reaction score
I vote twin vgts feeding a super charger... that would be one fast spooling truck!

VGT's wouldn't even really be needed, depending how you set it up, if you're using a supercharger right? I mean, what would be the point. The supercharger should light it off down low.

kdogg, what's the actual goal of this truck and how is it going to be used? Are you just wanting to build a higher HP truck that has some wow factor to it, or what is the goal here?

Have you looked at any of the pro-charged trucks?

kdogg85

Reaction score
The goal is a different truck, so yes the wow factor. Hence why I'm not really interested in compounds. Big power, clean running as possible, and when the hood goes up, every jaw drops.

I really want to do a single off each head, but the cubic inch limitations seem to be the problem. Not enough volume to turn something in the s300 range without 5k+ rpms.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I mention vgts and a supercharger because it would be different, very differnent... but kdogg and I have already talked and I was just poking the bear. Also the vgt changes the comp map enough that you can get away with more. You theoretically you could tune away some issues like surging and choking if needed. You theoretically could run a larger vgt than a non-vgt and get away with the setup.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the biggest problem with true twin turbos on a diesel has always been the fact that these engines need fairly high pressure ratios in order to perform the way we want them to...

it's hard to find a small enough turbo that will operate efficiently at the boost levels we want

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you want "Wow" put some empty housings with fake piping and then just really run compounds.

TyCorr

Reaction score
the biggest problem with true twin turbos on a diesel has always been the fact that these engines need fairly high pressure ratios in order to perform the way we want them to...

it's hard to find a small enough turbo that will operate efficiently at the boost levels we want

See, Im with you. To size them small enough to spool quickly they'll also be balls to the wallsreeeeal fast too. Almost like something else needs to be there for low boost, high volume flow.

kdogg85

Reaction score
I guess the fake housings plus an edge sticker ought to make it run. LOL

Again, what about the 200/300 dual compounds? 200s get it going 300s take over.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.