Trying to quite it down a little

dmd

Reaction score
Ive got the FTE resonator, absolutely got rid of all drone or exhaust tone, but it sounds more like maybe you are trying to get rid of turbo noise, and other than intake (fordAIS) not sure what to tell ya

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ask the wrong poster about the FTE. So do you have the muffler and
the FTE?

dmd

Reaction score
Sorry, thought you had been replied to already.

MBRP 4" exhaust with volume Reducer and Corsa Muffler.

I'm sorry, had the posters mixed up.

So you have something along with the Corsa muffler?

I am just trying to get what works from folks so I have
all the info.

Layson

Reaction score
Sound deadening. We did the ram audio stuff for a couple hundred and it makes a pretty big difference. It is a lot of work to do the doors and inside of the cab. It also helps a lot by putting some on the underside of the cowl above the turbo. Your 2000 truck doesn't have much of the factory dampening under the hood like the 2002's have.

Reaction score
Ask the wrong poster about the FTE. So do you have the muffler and
the FTE?
No, I originally purchased the 30" fte, and put it in place of the mbrp muffler (mbrp didn't muffle, just drowned), then I was impressed so much with that one, I purchased another one (18") and put it behind the longer one. The only complaint on my truck for noise is engine noise through the transmission tunnel hole (5spd). I have absolutely no exhaust drone inside, I can carry on conversations with phone to ear, or with my Bluetooth head set (hangs over neck, has two ear buds and Mic. at about top of chest), I can hear perfectly fine on my end and no more complaining from the people on the other end. Its also nice to be able to hear the person next to me without raising our voices, and if I'm listening to the radio I don't have to have volume up so high. I used to have to have volume at about level 22 on interstate, now 10-12 depending on the station

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

idshred

Reaction score
Sound deadening. We did the ram audio stuff for a couple hundred and it makes a pretty big difference. It is a lot of work to do the doors and inside of the cab. It also helps a lot by putting some on the underside of the cowl above the turbo. Your 2000 truck doesn't have much of the factory dampening under the hood like the 2002's have.

This. I deadened my interior using raam audio products. Night and day difference in my 97. It is a lot of work though. Way more than I anticipatted. Well worth it, even more so if you're running aftermarket stereo.

Layson

Reaction score
This. I deadened my interior using raam audio products. Night and day difference in my 97. It is a lot of work though. Way more than I anticipatted. Well worth it, even more so if you're running aftermarket stereo.

I am ready to do it again....LOL. What is funny is when you get it quieter than what it was before. Time goes by and the new norm ends up being loud again...LOL So I am ready to do it again..LOL

idshred

Reaction score
It's true. My 97 is a 5 speed. It quieted it down so much that it took me a while to be able to shift without staring at the tach. Hah. Like you said though it seems normal now.

dmd

Reaction score
Maybe the 'ol 7.3 will sound like a Lexus when I am done.

How about this for the plan. Since I already have an existing muffler that should lessen the
high tones, I will add the 30-inch FTE resonator/muffler in front of the existing
muffler. If that isnt quiet enough (it should be) I will replace the existing muffler with
a Banks Monster muffler and leave the FTE in place also.

Does that seem like a reasonable idea?

diesel dane

Reaction score
Just saw this... I can't vouch for banks, but i've now had 3 FTE resonators and can say they are amazing. I had one on a 5.9 5" exhaust cummins, a 5" 7.3, and currently my 6.4 5". Each of which the difference was insane. I would buy the FTE first, put it on, and run with it. If you want more, order the banks.

my 6.4 is more quiet now than it was at stock and i have a 5" MBRP exhaust with a 30" FTE.

superpsd

Reaction score
Just installed my 4" banks monster. Muffler is completely straight thru with no louvers, bottle necks, cavities... Still side dumped it is as quiet as a stock muffler I would say. Muffler was 128$ shipped so I am happy with that.

Montgomery P-Stroke

Reaction score
Ever think of using a turn down tip instead of straight out the side? Big difference on the highway when I drove my ex boss's truck with the same exaust as mine....just different tip you actually hear the engine instead of the exaust at 2K on the highway.

dmd

Reaction score
Ended up with a long Flowmaster Pro Series and a 30-inch Magnaflo in a series. One or the
other wouldn't do it, both of them (Magnaflow first) killed all the drone. I could have
it a bit louder if there was no drone, but I really like the ability to hear the radio
in the 1800-2100 RPM range.
I do have some hearing problems with constant squealing in my ears, the drone would
seem to amplify that squeal and I couldnt hear a thing.

I think the combination of 38r, bed cap, and side exhaust exit really amplified the
sounds somehow. First thing kids said was that they could hear the radio.

dmd

Reaction score
Drove two 18.5 hour hour trips. EGT/boost/power all seem the same as before. Dallas to Signal Az.

Noise is so much more quite. Now I have to fix the door seal leak on the
drivers side and fix the drivers door speaker that sounds scratchy. Couldn't hear
either of those before. Much less tiring on the long trips too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.