Tuning the 7.3 in current times

ncollins64

Reaction score
I always like tw tunes, the trufk appears to run and start well for the temp too.

Off subject but has anyone used cen pe co oil? I use this in my pro stock BBF pull truck and all the ntpa pullers run it. I’ve since swapped all my trucks over to it including my 6.7, 6.4 and my fummins truck. Haven’t done a change yet but I’ll be doing a sample when I do the changes and report back. They have syn 5w40, the 15w40s, basically everything including racing oils

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I always like tw tunes, the trufk appears to run and start well for the temp too.

Off subject but has anyone used cen pe co oil? I use this in my pro stock BBF pull truck and all the ntpa pullers run it. I’ve since swapped all my trucks over to it including my 6.7, 6.4 and my fummins truck. Haven’t done a change yet but I’ll be doing a sample when I do the changes and report back. They have syn 5w40, the 15w40s, basically everything including racing oils
Its sorta like Driven/lubrication engineers

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Now that we've derailed this into an oil thread.

Is there a list that shows the psi/shear rating of different diesel oils?
Believe it or not. Oil life plays a role in a heui motor in tuning. If its longer in the oci and the oil doesnt hold up and you're trying a tune revision, it wont be consistent..

Bean did that a while back on the dyno when custom tuning. They had issues with oils and added the Schaeffer's moly additive that was thick as hell, it brought the oil back to life and held hpo better on top end pulls...... guess what oil was famous for being so inconsistent???

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Believe it or not. Oil life plays a role in a heui motor in tuning. If its longer in the oci and the oil doesnt hold up and you're trying a tune revision, it wont be consistent..

Bean did that a while back on the dyno when custom tuning. They had issues with oils and added the Schaeffer's moly additive that was thick as hell, it brought the oil back to life and held hpo better on top end pulls...... guess what oil was famous for being so inconsistent???

I know it can mess with performance without a doubt. If the oil is inconsistent, so will how the engine runs.

I've run the Schaeffer's Moly additive on my 6.4. The valve train was quieter.

I bet your going to say Rotella.

Seriously though, is there a chart that shows the shear psi of different diesel oils? They have them in the gas world. Can't find them for the diesel oils. I'd love an oil that has over 100k psi shear strength.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Now that we've derailed this into an oil thread.

Is there a list that shows the psi/shear rating of different diesel oils?
Way to many factors.. oil sheer in a common rail isnt as important.
I know it can mess with performance without a doubt. If the oil is inconsistent, so will how the engine runs.

I've run the Schaeffer's Moly additive on my 6.4. The valve train was quieter.

I bet your going to say Rotella.

Seriously though, is there a chart that shows the shear psi of different diesel oils? They have them in the gas world. Can't find them for the diesel oils. I'd love an oil that has over 100k psi shear strength.
Ill see what I can find

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I think people are getting way too caught up in the oil game and worrying about something that's really not an issue any more.

I run Amazon 5w30 in the SHO and 0w20 in the highlander. Those oils come back super strong with great package still left after 5k miles. Both vehicles have been cleared for 7-9k intervals... If Amazon packaged a 5w40 I'd probably run it as well...

I think for what we're using our trucks for, we don't need NASA approved oils... The trucks going to rot out/be totaled/stolen before any type of engine failure that's related to an oil issue...

The high milege 6.0s are going to eat cams and lifters as the 6.4 will as well. The 6.7s are going to lose valve trains and crankshafts as well. None of those failures are directly related to oil, they are going to fail regardless

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Nothing kills me more than the guys that come in with the amsoil dual bypass oil filter setups and only use 25k mile interval amsoil but change it every 5k and they eat a camshaft just like a factory oil truck does... Lmao..

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Way to many factors.. oil sheer in a common rail isnt as important.

Ill see what I can find
I agree, but a oil that doesn't shear as quick will last longer.

I would appreciate it. I keep running into dead ends. I did find a place that had tested around 260 different oils used 8n gas engines. They ranged from over 130k psi to only 60k something psi.

They did test Rotella T6 and it was around 66k psi. A lot of folks in the gas world run it. They say high RPMs is hard on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think people are getting way too caught up in the oil game and worrying about something that's really not an issue any more.

I run Amazon 5w30 in the SHO and 0w20 in the highlander. Those oils come back super strong with great package still left after 5k miles. Both vehicles have been cleared for 7-9k intervals... If Amazon packaged a 5w40 I'd probably run it as well...

I think for what we're using our trucks for, we don't need NASA approved oils... The trucks going to rot out/be totaled/stolen before any type of engine failure that's related to an oil issue...

The high milege 6.0s are going to eat cams and lifters as the 6.4 will as well. The 6.7s are going to lose valve trains and crankshafts as well. None of those failures are directly related to oil, they are going to fail regardless
Who do you use for oil sampling?

there's nothing you can do about the inevitable.. why do they all fail and at what mileages? Roughly... 256k on my 6.7.. just wondering if its soon. Lol. Ill sell it...

Nah i won't...

It really is important.. definitely for performance and higher than stock power levels in a 7.3.... it really does help with diagnostics as well... i have guys all the time that arent even worried about over stock power but just want them to run right stock.

Starting issues, Erratic idle, loss of power when towing... first thing i say without asking first, is dump the rotella out of it and put in Chevron delo 15w40 then ill come help diagnose/fix it... 90% of the time it clears all that up and every single one of them are dumbfounded that i knew that..... i tell them 2500 mile oci in the winter due to feul dilution from warmups and 5k oci in the summers. If problem still persists before those oci then there are issues... if it doesn't fix it then obviously its time to find the part that failed.. thats how confident i am about oil in a 7.3.... i have hundreds, probably thousands of guys over the years that i have done that with.. dont forget i have traveled coast to coast for almost 20yrs helping many many people along the way...

I will say this. Any oil will work.. its just not ideal... so if you want less issues in a 7.3, why not use what keeps the issues at bay for the longest time? Key to ANY 7.3 is maintaining hpo...

Same goes for the rest... i run 30k oci in my 6.7 with our bypass filter setup from when i worked with jim. 5k engine filter changes and top offs throughout. WITH sampling and testing. jim pushed his out to 52k once with 5k engine filter change just to see how well it held up. I cant remember if that was the LE 8854 5w40 or the driven dp40 5w40 but thats when it fell off.. we just stuck with 30k because we didnt want everyone thinking they could just do 50k or try it without sampling. WITHOUT sampling i stay with 15k intervals and 5k filter changes then change the bypass filter at 30k... its overkill but i dont sample anymore. We have yet to have a bad oil analysis on anything running driven DP40 5w40 up to 15k oci with 5k efci.. Do NOT do this with a 7.3....

Without sampling, or the bypass kit, we sold gazillions of oil change kits with 2 filters and a case of dp40 for a 10k oci with 5k filter changes without sampling or 15k with sampling.... you just have to by the 3rd filter.

As long as you stay on a consistent sevice plan with fuel and oil filters lower than what the factory recommends, then you cant go wrong. With anything. Honestly...
Nothing kills me more than the guys that come in with the amsoil dual bypass oil filter setups and only use 25k mile interval amsoil but change it every 5k and they eat a camshaft just like a factory oil truck does... Lmao..
Amsoil really isnt good in diesels... at all... does well in the gassr world..
To many folks are caught up in the amsoil game. It's over rated. With that said, that's all I run in my 2-stroke engines.
Lol.. evidently you did. Haha! But they really do have good 2stroke oil.. you're not the only one that says they like amsoil 2 stroke oil.
I agree, but a oil that doesn't shear as quick will last longer.

I would appreciate it. I keep running into dead ends. I did find a place that had tested around 260 different oils used 8n gas engines. They ranged from over 130k psi to only 60k something psi.

They did test Rotella T6 and it was around 66k psi. A lot of folks in the gas world run it. They say high RPMs is hard on it.
Jim said to look up the dynamic viscosity ratings then had a meeting to go to so thats all i got.. im trying to find something.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Its not synthetic but yes.
We must be taking about different oils. Here's what I was talking about.
Screenshot_20240123_110033_Chrome.jpg

You must be talking about the blue jug delo 400 SDE non synthetic.
Screenshot_20240123_110304_Chrome.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
We must be taking about different oils. Here's what I was talking about.
View attachment 187379

You must be talking about the blue jug delo 400 SDE non synthetic.
View attachment 187380
Sorry. Its not a true synthetic when you actually break it down. Nobody can mass produce a true synthetic and sell it at the price they do.

Im actually talking about the blue jug. I haven't seen any data on the "synthetic" version grey jug.

Blue jug used to be called a semi synthetic or synpower.. poured like it too.

Everything, even Lubrication engineers lost a lot of their zddp add pack when switching to ck4... the only thing the blue jug delo has going is that it doesn't sheer as quick. I would assume that the grey jug is going to be comparable to the original delo 400le synpower... wish i had a 7.3 to do the testing. Id try that one. Their original "synthetic" delo 5w40 wasnt worth a shit in a 7.3 though.

Amazon "synthetic" oil isnt synthetic either. Or the parts stores brand versions. Or most any of the oils at the parts stores that say synthetic aren't true synthetic.. more of a semi synthetic. Some Amsoil products aren't either. But you still pay for it.

Members online

No members online now.