Well I think it's safe to say my Cam...

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ive been saying for almost 2 years, even after i installed a cam on my 08. There is no hard data on how beneficial they are, or if they are at all on a stock turbo truck. Whether it be a stock regrind or a billet cam. I will not be doing a cam on my current truck build for that reason. Plenty of big numbers out there with stock valve train.

FordPSD64

Reaction score
like I said I think the biggest benefit of a cam in these trucks is it holding power through the curve instead of dropping off at high rpms. people with stock turbos probably wont notice it as much as someone with bigger set ups.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Ive been saying for almost 2 years, even after i installed a cam on my 08. There is no hard data on how beneficial they are, or if they are at all on a stock turbo truck. Whether it be a stock regrind or a billet cam. I will not be doing a cam on my current truck build for that reason. Plenty of big numbers out there with stock valve train.

I figured they make a difference in gas motors and I haven't really heard of anyone putting them in a powerstroke so I figured I would try it

Stroked777

Reaction score
like I said I think the biggest benefit of a cam in these trucks is it holding power through the curve instead of dropping off at high rpms. people with stock turbos probably wont notice it as much as someone with bigger set ups.

I see what your saying. I guess time will tell when I run my 72

simonton6.4

Reaction score
You are completely right about that, I could careless boost dropped off but I feel a loss of 6-7 is a big drop, plus if it was moving more air my egts would be down when I was pulling

A drop of 6-7psi after a head port job yeah good stuff a drop of 6-7psi after a cam that is suppose to drive the turbos harder not so great

simonton6.4

Reaction score
And that hissing is probably a up pipe or the cross over pipe for the EGR on the exhaust side that's what mine was and is doing around 1800rpms you can really hear it start to hiss

tbsimmons

Reaction score
i wish i knew more about cams to say what duration effects. maybe jared or tadd will chime in.
I would think a cam does the same thing on diesel as it does on a gas engine.
If everything else is the same in the cams, more duration , more rpm.
Usually though other things change also, total duration not just advertised duration, lobe separation angle. You can take to cams that in the book are the same but run totally different. Reason is the timing advance that the cam has ground into it.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
And that hissing is probably a up pipe or the cross over pipe for the EGR on the exhaust side that's what mine was and is doing around 1800rpms you can really hear it start to hiss
That cross over pipe for the EGR started leaking on my truck. I would check it. They are fun to get off with the cab on.

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole post just the first page but here is my story. I bought a cam from a diesel company when I was having my engine rebuilt. The people rebuilding it profiled the cam, had it checked out to make sure it would work with my diesel engine, and the results were not good. The camshaft was made like a camshaft for a high revving gasoline engine. It was no good at making power in the range that diesels make their power. I think this is a problem a lot of companies are having. They are getting people to manufacture their camshafts that are used to doing cams for gas engines and don't understand the way diesels work and where their powerband is an such. I don't think its the companies fault that's having them made it just the lack of knowledge of the camshaft manufactures that are making them. Anyways I did not use that camshaft and had a custom camshaft made from a company that understands diesel engines and made me one that would work in my rpm range. Just my story.

Reaction score
I figured they make a difference in gas motors and I haven't really heard of anyone putting them in a powerstroke so I figured I would try it
There is a huge diffrence between gas( natural aspriated) compared to turbo charged. You will find that If you went to put a turbo on a gas motor there is diffrent cam grinds for turboed motors. What makes a huge diffrence on a non asp motor might not make much or a diffrence at all on a turbod engines.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Were there any tuning changes to take advantage of the cam? Most cams broaden the RPM as well as carry the "redline" out further, so if your tune is trimming fuel where the stock/canned parameters tell it to that could make all the difference.

Stroked777

Reaction score

this morning comign hoem from work i did a little testing, the hiss starts right after tc lock up in 5th, if i let off the throttle and coast a little then get back on it the hiss will stop and not happen again until i have to relock in 5th. when i hiss stopped i got in it and hit 45psi (top out at 45) and there was no hissing or leaking sound, only sound was the engine and turbo spooling

Stroked777

Reaction score
Were there any tuning changes to take advantage of the cam? Most cams broaden the RPM as well as carry the "redline" out further, so if your tune is trimming fuel where the stock/canned parameters tell it to that could make all the difference.

thats somethign that matt would have to answer, he said he might add some fuel up top, but idk what else was done to the tuning

04stroker

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole post just the first page but here is my story. I bought a cam from a diesel company when I was having my engine rebuilt. The people rebuilding it profiled the cam, had it checked out to make sure it would work with my diesel engine, and the results were not good. The camshaft was made like a camshaft for a high revving gasoline engine. It was no good at making power in the range that diesels make their power. I think this is a problem a lot of companies are having. They are getting people to manufacture their camshafts that are used to doing cams for gas engines and don't understand the way diesels work and where their powerband is an such. I don't think its the companies fault that's having them made it just the lack of knowledge of the camshaft manufactures that are making them. Anyways I did not use that camshaft and had a custom camshaft made from a company that understands diesel engines and made me one that would work in my rpm range. Just my story.

Said cam companys?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
thats somethign that matt would have to answer, he said he might add some fuel up top, but idk what else was done to the tuning

Do you know the cam specs or did Matt have the specs? Also what was the RPM range it was rated for? Might just need to have Matt tweak the tune.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.