What Do You Tow?

B585Ford

Reaction score
I usually don't go through the weigh stations.

Corb didn't either and that is why he got pulled over...I think he said the DOT officer told him the minimum fine was around $1500. He said the officer let him off the hook because he was active duty IIRC.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
a9314a820dfea67c7e028efe69de3ae2.jpg
33fd543cf5098d194d8ab656d0b54447.jpg

live life full throttle

Emery19

Reaction score
Corb didn't either and that is why he got pulled over...I think he said the DOT officer told him the minimum fine was around $1500. He said the officer let him off the hook because he was active duty IIRC.

how and when do you have to go through weigh stations? i was under the impression that it was for commercial vehicles. i think i remember you saying corb was driving his 450 towing his 250. would that mean if say i was towing my buddies truck with my 350 id have to roll through a weigh station in nc? sorry in advance for the stupid question.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
They have signs before the weigh station telling you who has to stop, commercial vehicles, those with livestock ect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
how and when do you have to go through weigh stations? i was under the impression that it was for commercial vehicles. i think i remember you saying corb was driving his 450 towing his 250. would that mean if say i was towing my buddies truck with my 350 id have to roll through a weigh station in nc? sorry in advance for the stupid question.

By my understanding, you should. And depending on weight you may be in Class A CDL territory. But I've only had to deal with weigh stations with lowboys so thats a bit different lol

Emery19

Reaction score
They have signs before the weigh station telling you who has to stop, commercial vehicles, those with livestock ect...

the only signs i've ever seen are open/closed. or if flashing stop. so thats why i was curious.

By my understanding, you should. And depending on weight you may be in Class A CDL territory. But I've only had to deal with weigh stations with lowboys so thats a bit different lol

well my buddies truck is a ranger. haha so i doubt thats class a cdl territory. although judging by the livestock comment above, when i was towing his three horses i would have had to stop if i passed one. but that was in PA

I've been told only if you have DOT numbers on the vehicle you have to, but that my vary depending on state.

thats what i thought, but what about commercial plates vs personal plates? because i could understand business purposes vs individual purposes. because with my truck thats plated as a personal passenger vehicle i wouldnt think i'd ever need to stop at a weigh station. but thats just me.

dsberman94

Reaction score
That's what I would assume. When we towed our camper we were easily at 20k lbs which the camper and truck fully loaded and never got bothered or had to stop.

RedRice589

Reaction score

It is for commercial vehicles. If you own and are towing your own crap (as long as you're not overweight) you're fine. No need to stop.

Livestock only have to stop in Florida (unless commercial) but that's only in 18 wheelers, the small pickups don't have to. At least on the east coast. But I know ag stops aren't all too common out west. Borders of the country and what not.

the only signs i've ever seen are open/closed. or if flashing stop. so thats why i was curious.

well my buddies truck is a ranger. haha so i doubt thats class a cdl territory. although judging by the livestock comment above, when i was towing his three horses i would have had to stop if i passed one. but that was in PA

thats what i thought, but what about commercial plates vs personal plates? because i could understand business purposes vs individual purposes. because with my truck thats plated as a personal passenger vehicle i wouldnt think i'd ever need to stop at a weigh station. but thats just me.

That's what I would assume. When we towed our camper we were easily at 20k lbs which the camper and truck fully loaded and never got bothered or had to stop.

Shut up dipstick. It's a recreational vehicle (bathroom and shower) exempt from stopping.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Utah asks you to stop if you have livestock. I don't haul or own any so I don't pay much attention to who or where

B585Ford

Reaction score

Every state is different so like mentioned already, you have to read the signs. At that time, Corb was not driving commercially....he had no numbers, etc. He was even towing his own vehicle.
For the record, I mostly have stayed east of Mississippi and pretty much all of them have been only commercial vehicles but evidently not all. When I am hot shotting, I know I have to stop so I haven't paid real close attention. It seems like a lot of them were based on the weight RATING, not the actual weight.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score

Corb asked about that to the DOT officer and he said there is an exemption (in NC) for campers.

B585Ford

Reaction score

Keep in mind, whether you require a CDL has nothing to do with the weight you are towing (that is universal in all states), it is based on the weight RATING. In other words, it is illegal to drive my truck and GN trailer without a Class A CDL even when it is empty cause the GCWR is over 26k....to me, that is STUPID but it is the law.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Keep in mind, whether you require a CDL has nothing to do with the weight you are towing (that is universal in all states), it is based on the weight RATING. In other words, it is illegal to drive my truck and GN trailer without a Class A CDL even when it is empty cause the GCWR is over 26k....to me, that is STUPID but it is the law.

Personally I disagree because the way they see it is if you are "legal" to drive it empty you'll be tempted to overload it and then they picture worst case scenario of some moron like Berman hopping in with 18k behind them and blowing a tire and blowing across the median.... You know what I'm saying. At least that's how I picture it.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Personally I disagree because the way they see it is if you are "legal" to drive it empty you'll be tempted to overload it and then they picture worst case scenario of some moron like Berman hopping in with 18k behind them and blowing a tire and blowing across the median.... You know what I'm saying. At least that's how I picture it.

I guess I look at it differently....for the people who don't have a CDL, if they are maxing out the capabilities of the truck and trailer, they can remain legal (such a F250 with single wheel dual axle GN grossing 25500 and rated to 25900) but if they have F450 with dual tandam GN (grossing 25,500) which is obviously more capable, they are illegal without a CDL. That being said, when I asked the DOT about it, they gave the same answer as you and did say it would be harder to catch the people who did pull a load over 26k. Some states let you rate your truck or trailer lower than the sticker so you can get under 26k.....my state doesn't. Obviously, I like allowing you to lower it personally, but I do get your point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.