zf6 oil

psduser1

Reaction score
This only does it in 4th, low rpm. I'm running a dual disk, solid hub clutch. Im pretty sure that noise is different, lol. It does make a noticeable noise when you disengage the clutch, and that goes away when you let the pedal back out. It also has a distinct sound, but the growl is a seperate noise.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
LE has some very bad ass gear lubes. And you don't have to mix anything else in them to gain long term performance. In the race cars I sponsor we have seen over 100 degree temp drops. In waste water treatment plant clarifiier gear boxes, that have a 6 month PM, ours have lasted more than a decade. In my local county trucks we cut their rear end issues in half from another high performance lubricant.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
That is understandable. We have chosen to stay mostly direct because then we control all the quality to our end users. We are ISO 9001, and the more ISO 9001 we stay the better our products are in the long run. Granted, its hard for a distributor to screw up a quart of oil, but it happens. And, when it happens, ISO consequences and liabilities are huge ( I just saved 2 LM6000 GE turbines because of a distributor screwing up good Conoco 76 oil). So, for the most part we stay away from it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i put amsoil in mine.. i too run an identical clucth to psduser1 and it has shifted really nice since i put it in..

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
LE has some very bad ass gear lubes. And you don't have to mix anything else in them to gain long term performance. In the race cars I sponsor we have seen over 100 degree temp drops. In waste water treatment plant clarifiier gear boxes, that have a 6 month PM, ours have lasted more than a decade. In my local county trucks we cut their rear end issues in half from another high performance lubricant.
Which LE gear oil would you recommend for the zf-6?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Which LE gear oil would you recommend for the zf-6?

If it were a sled puller I would go with one of our Duolec gear oils. They put up with some serious abuse. In the ones that spec Merc V I would use our 7500. In ones that spec XT-M5-QS I would use our 9919, or you could use one of our duolec's there too, probably 1604. Overall If it were my truck I would use 1604 regardless of which one it spec'd. 9919 is a stupid good oil, we go 750,000 in our otr truck rear ends with it. But, I like changing my oil more often and that would be cost prohibitive with the 9919, it's 450$ for a bucket. Granted XT-M5-QS is 29$ a quart.....

ja_cain

Reaction score
If it were a sled puller I would go with one of our Duolec gear oils. They put up with some serious abuse. In the ones that spec Merc V I would use our 7500. In ones that spec XT-M5-QS I would use our 9919, or you could use one of our duolec's there too, probably 1604. Overall If it were my truck I would use 1604 regardless of which one it spec'd. 9919 is a stupid good oil, we go 750,000 in our otr truck rear ends with it. But, I like changing my oil more often and that would be cost prohibitive with the 9919, it's 450$ for a bucket. Granted XT-M5-QS is 29$ a quart.....
Thanks for the info. I just scanned the products but didn't see anything that looked to be in the right vis range and meeting the correct spec. I didn't make it that far though. I'll check those out when I have a chance. Thanks again.

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
7500 doesnt meet any of the specs, but it is straight nasty stuff that I have used in damn near every trans in every type of fleet out there. 1600 series isn't in the spec either. Its way over built for that application. The 9919 exceeds the spec. 1150 would be the merc v but id rather see the higher vis 7500 in a manual Trans application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
7500 doesnt meet any of the specs, but it is straight nasty stuff that I have used in damn near every trans in every type of fleet out there. 1600 series isn't in the spec either. Its way over built for that application. The 9919 exceeds the spec. 1150 would be the merc v but id rather see the higher vis 7500 in a manual Trans application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That 7500 does look pretty stout. I'm just wondering how it will do in the zf at low temps. Vis is 5 times higher than MC Merc V at 20 centegrade. Seems like it would be a real bear (shifting) until it warmed up. I realize vis numbers might not be everything when trying to figure out how it will effect shift characteristics, but just not sure about that. I guess if I worked the pics out of the truck all of the time, I would be inclined to try something like that. A mix of daily driving and then heavy loads, I'm not so sure about. I would love to see someone that has destroyed fluids in this Trans try some of this. Charles was complaining that he was killing the fluid in a short time with the kind of loads he was carrying. He sounds like a great candidate. Otoh, the 1601 looks to be close to Merc V (vis wise). I may be inclined to try that one first though.

Btw, are you familiar with Afton/New Market?

Last edited:

Izzybird

Reaction score
If I'd have seen this sooner, I may have tried some LE product but...
I have 4 quarts of redline atf and 2 quarts of mtl ready to put in, figured I'd give it a try.

ja_cain

Reaction score
If I'd have seen this sooner, I may have tried some LE product but...
I have 4 quarts of redline atf and 2 quarts of mtl ready to put in, figured I'd give it a try.
That's the ratio I was going to use based on the research I did. Please post your impressions (initial and long term) once you get it swapped in.

Izzybird

Reaction score
Will do, probably be next weekend before I have time to do it. The truck has a salvage title and the guy that redid it said he replaced all fluids with motorcraft. What I pulled out of the diffs and transfer case lead me to believe he lied. Very well could have 200k fluid in it.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The reason that people mix with Redline is because it is not designed for long service intervals. It does not have the properties needed to keep parts clean. Great lubricity, but not great long term. Race oils and most full PAO synthetics are like that for a few reasons. Race applications have no need for long service intervals. And second, PAO's need additive carriers like group 3's or group 2's and esters to help with seal compatibility. No need for that in race applications. When you mix, you are making your own additive carrier. However, the math is not difficult, if you are mixing 2 to 1, then you are just getting the one part additive then the full add pack from a lubricant designed for the application. I am not saying its harmful, it just seems wasteful in a way. Those race lubricants are great for their application, but 99.99999% of our trucks are not that application. And your PM is shortened to gain the full benefits from the race oil.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yeah, can't solubilize those additives with straight PAO. Like you said seal swell (or lack there of) is the other thing that needs to be accounted for.

Btw, my brother checked out your companies page and said that you guys have some nice white papers. I may contact you next week and pick your brain on these lubes as I would definitely like to try one.

Latest posts

Members online