zf6 oil

ja_cain

Reaction score
I haven't heard of mixing the mtl with tag, I just did straight Red line MTL

I think there was a discussion on BTOG where someone tried that mix. I think it was more to bring the viscosity back closer to Merc V by adding the D4. The MTL has a more robust ad pack for the manuals than Merc V but may effect low temp shifting characteristics hence the addition of the D4. Don't quote me on all of the BS though. :)

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Most of that makes sense, but its the type of add pack. Racing oils do not need detergents and what not. They are not intended for long term use. The Ford synthetic is an 80-90, so I wouldn't think the Vis wouldn't be an issue. Being a synthetic, the VI is probably really high, so low temps wouldn't be an issue. I have heard many trans shops telling people to do this, and to me it makes sense why they have come to this conclusion. PAO's do not hold add pack well, and the more PAO you have in there the better race oil you will have. That is why many gas turbines use a straight PAO. It can't be beat in the short run. But if not changed regularly they varnish really bad. You can't have the best of both worlds... yet. PAG's are the future, but so bad for mixing with anything. Also, as soon as water is involved they go down hill quick. Moisture isn't an issue when you change the lubricant a lot. But if you keep it in there too long, it can go bad quick. And i'm not talking about a soaking, I am talking about moisture in the air that the trans breaths in and out as the temps change as well as condensation. It cost a lot to do, but LE has come as close as I have have seen to balancing both worlds.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Good stuff Jim. Synthetics are definitely a game changer. They just act differently than conventionals at different conditions. I guess they don't need as much vii as they already inherently have a high vi. The nice thing is the molecular weight, molecular confirmation and degree of saturation can be controlled to a tight degree when its synthesized. This makes it easier to model and its consistent. In other words you know what you are getting as there is very little variability in true synthetics.

This really illustrates the importance of picking the right fluid for the application/conditions. Large fleets its all about being cost effective (reducing failures, fuel economy, increasing intervals, ect.). Passenge cars, mantaining factory like shift characteristics is very important. Im actually doing some work for an additive developer that looks at how changes in additives could change shift characteristics in auto transmissions. They want to maintain that factory feel.

Not familiar with PAG's and will do some research and ask my brother about them. Would love to do one of the short courses your company offers. Anyway, good discussion. OP, sorry if I have derailed this thread a little with my blather.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I hate PAG's, but they are bad ass lubricants.
Application is so important. Racing oils are great... in racing applications. They are not for everything and this is what I believe has caused confusion as of late. I had a guy with a 5r behind a 6.4 tell me his high end rebuilder told him to do this just for this reason. There is an answer to the issues...

Izzybird

Reaction score
Only put 100 miles on it, noticed no difference so far. Oil that came out looked okay and smelled fine, it needed changing regardless. To be fair, I wasn't experiencing any unusual symptoms for a 200k trans.

Izzybird

Reaction score
I'm gonna get rid of the redline, just doesn't feel as good as it did with the ancient motorcraft fluid in it. Probably just go back to motorcraft or get Jim to sell me some of their unicorn urine with the Saskatchewan seal skin binding agents.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I'm gonna get rid of the redline, just doesn't feel as good as it did with the ancient motorcraft fluid in it. Probably just go back to motorcraft or get Jim to sell me some of their unicorn urine with the Saskatchewan seal skin binding agents.

Best thing I've ever read!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online