03 pistons and cam differences help

Reaction score
I have searched and can’t find much. I know they changed the piston bowl design after 03 for efficiency and made changes to the cam profile as well for better egr efficiency.

My 06 lost 2 cylinders and was already .040 over I have a good 03 short block and a new set of o rings heads. Question is what am I loosing or gaining by running the 03 pistons and camshaft. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
I have searched and can’t find much. I know they changed the piston bowl design after 03 for efficiency and made changes to the cam profile as well for better egr efficiency.

My 06 lost 2 cylinders and was already .040 over I have a good 03 short block and a new set of o rings heads. Question is what am I loosing or gaining by running the 03 pistons and camshaft. Thank you!!

03 cam definitely makes the engine more responsive I guess is the word. When You tap the throttle on 03 it immediately reacts. Whereas 04+ aren’t near as reactive

As far as pistons go I’m not sure.

Zeb

Reaction score

Piston bowl volume is virtually identical between the early and late style pistons, but the early pistons are a narrower, deeper bowl.
I much prefer the later pistons.
That being said, it won’t “hurt” anything to run the early style pistons. Injector cone angle, etc didn’t change through the years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online