08 6.4 Down. Need help

psdguy95

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truck is an 08 6.4 with under 150,000 miles. It's all stock.

Here's the story..

The other day at my schools auto show my buddy was revving his 6.4 and I notices it was blowing some black smoke out the exhaust. He has the dpf and stuff on ( it's never been tuned or anything ) and I ha a feeling that wasn't supposed to happen. Anyway the day ended everything is good. The next day in class he was saying the truck was blowing some white smoke untill up to temp. He said it wasn't that much. We both figured since it got cold the last few nights here it was just condensation smoke as the truck warmed up. We get out of school and I see him drive by and the truck is puking white smoke as he goes down the road. It smells horrible. The truck is running fine though. I told him today and were stumped as ro what the heck would make it do that untill up to temp? He's had the truck for a few months now and he's never seen it go into regen. ( his dad also drives it a lot to but not sure if his dad has sen it regen) he did tell me the day he bright it home and when he started it in his drive way it puked white smoke untill up to temp as well. Last time I say his radiator bottle it was at the correct level which was a few days ago. I know nothing about the 6.4.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue as well as how to go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

H&S Bentley

Reaction score
:whs:

Sounds like cracked DPF and the truck is going into regeneration mode. It will smell like raw fuel (yummy).

If it smells sweet, probably an EGR cooler cracked and leaking coolant. You can have him watch his coolant level to see if it drops.

My bet is on the dpf cracked and now it is attempting to regenerate.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Its the dpf. The coolant level is good and the truck was in regen. It smelled like fuel and it had a blue tint to it for 10 minutes. After 10 ninutes it cleared up but it was still in regen.

Latest posts

Members online