'16 aftermarket fuel filters kit

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'm pretty technical, but I let Ford change my oil and fuel filters. When I did the math 10yrs ago the price was about the same and I didn't have to deal with 13qts of waste oil.

They were a little expensive on the fuel filter side, but those darn filters from Ford are pretty expensive .

I guess I'm lazy too :)

Anyway, just had my regular service done and my jaw hit the floor when the price was nearly $400!!!!! Used to be a lot, but not that much.

I'm done. Time to do this crap myself and just deal with the waste oil.

I thought there was a kit that was better and easier to use than the ford fuel filters, but I can't remember it now. Anyone know?

Do you run Ford engine oil filters these days? And Ford oil?

This truck is just about to clock 60kmi so I suppose it's time for a trans filter too. I won't flush it, just drop and refill w/ new oil.

TIA

6.7Bison

Reaction score
I think I saw you post this on one of the facebook pages. Didn't get to answer it there so I will give you an example of what I do. I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this subject. I do it myself as it's fairly simple and I know for certain what is being used on my truck. Would probably be cheaper to have the local lube tech do it.

I run Fleetguard filters for both engine and fuel. PNs are LF17494 and FK22004 respectively. Learned about them in my days behind the parts counter at a John Deere dealership. Cummins uses them OEM. High filtration rates, good quality, not terrible on price.

For oil I have used John Deere's Plus 50 -II CJ-4 0w-40. When I couldn't find any more of those, I switched to Rotella T6 CK-4 in 0w-40 or 5w-40. When that supply dried up recently I grabbed a bucket of Schaeffer's 5w-40. So far I'm not as big a fan as cold starts seem to be rougher. Could be another issue somewhere but it started after I changed my oil.

I use the waste oil when burning brush or trash to get the temps up or as retreatment on wooden posts installed in wetter areas.

I haven't looked into it yet but I may be in the same boat when it comes to transmission fluid and filter. May do Amsoil on the trans fluid and Motorcraft filter.

joebuck

Reaction score
OEM motorcraft oil filter is only $10 here in Washington at Walmart, I run motorcraft oil and buy 4gal. Each time and it’s maybe $100 with filter. The fuel filters I change every 10k miles and they come as set for around $50, so for around $150 and a half hour of your time you could save $250 and take the waste oil to oreillys/autozone etc. they all have oil tanks and will take 5gal a day from you for free, just get a Home Depot 5gal bucket and use that to drain your into and throw a lid on it and take it to a auto parts store to put in there tank, pretty easy and cheap IMO

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
6.7Bison.
when you drain your oil next time, tell me what you think. I have freinds and a brother that ran the 5w40 from Schaefer's. The ended up goin back to T6 5w40. The oil got thin real quick compared to T6 5w40. It would be interesting to hear what you think.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
6.7Bison.
when you drain your oil next time, tell me what you think. I have freinds and a brother that ran the 5w40 from Schaefer's. The ended up goin back to T6 5w40. The oil got thin real quick compared to T6 5w40. It would be interesting to hear what you think.
Just got my oil change in. Overall both new and used the Schaeffer's felt thinner than the T6 both at 5w40. I suppose that would be a benefit for less parasitic loss for better performance and supposed fuel economy but may be worse for wear. I didn't feel any difference in power or see any mileage difference though. The truck alerted me for an oil change at about the same 7500 miles I had been doing prior. Oil looked about as dark as normal. Pricing and availability of oil has changed again though. I can get a 5 gallon bucket of T6 much cheaper and easier than the Schaeffer's. I will be doing the same as your friends and brother. I finished off what was left of the Schaeffer's 5 gallon bucket and picked up a bucket of T6 to top it off. I don't see the benefit of Schaeffer's justifying the additional cost. It's thinness also muddies the water on if it's better for my application or not.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Just got my oil change in. Overall both new and used the Schaeffer's felt thinner than the T6 both at 5w40. I suppose that would be a benefit for less parasitic loss for better performance and supposed fuel economy but may be worse for wear. I didn't feel any difference in power or see any mileage difference though. The truck alerted me for an oil change at about the same 7500 miles I had been doing prior. Oil looked about as dark as normal. Pricing and availability of oil has changed again though. I can get a 5 gallon bucket of T6 much cheaper and easier than the Schaeffer's. I will be doing the same as your friends and brother. I finished off what was left of the Schaeffer's 5 gallon bucket and picked up a bucket of T6 to top it off. I don't see the benefit of Schaeffer's justifying the additional cost. It's thinness also muddies the water on if it's better for my application or not.

Oil that shears quicker will not lube as good as one that does not. Also oil pressure I feel would be less with the thinner oil. But that could depend on the oil system as well.

Thank you for remembering and taking the time to write a response.

Latest posts

Members online