1997 OBS No start, any ideas?

jjsalz

Reaction score
Guys,

I am at a loss on my OBS. I was hauling a load of firewood, started braking for a turn onto my avenue (literally one mile from my house), and the truck died. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to start it but no-go. I didn't see much of any RPM feedback on the tach (it BARELY crept off zero), so I figured it was the CPS. I ordered an OEM Motorcraft CPS from RiffRaff and installed it tonight. The truck still won't start.

Do you guys have any ideas as to why it won't start? I'm not sure if I'm still low on RPM's for the truck to start. Does anyone know the minimum RPM's the PCM needs to see for it to start?

Screenshot of vital sensor readings I think might be helpful for you guys. I really appreciate any and all help. :rockon: Log taken from FORscan:

PKbqOy2.png

EDIT:

Just found this online. Is this correct guys? If it is, my ICP is WAY low. Oil level is right at the full mark, just checked it.

ruY2ZwF.png

Last edited:

jjsalz

Reaction score
One thing I haven't done yet guys is check the HPOP oil reservoir level. I have been doing some more reading since my post, and while it is elementary, I haven't checked the level yet. I recently did an oil change and maybe the reservoir is low from putting on some miles since the oil change. I'll check it tonight after work and post an update.

Petro

Reaction score
If ICP is low, it's more than likely a bad IPR or high pressure pump. The reservoir is constantly being fed by the low pressure pump, it can't be low because of a recent oil change, if your oil pressure gauge is coming up while cranking, then the reservoir level is fine.

jjsalz

Reaction score
If ICP is low, it's more than likely a bad IPR or high pressure pump. The reservoir is constantly being fed by the low pressure pump, it can't be low because of a recent oil change, if your oil pressure gauge is coming up while cranking, then the reservoir level is fine.
I see, I will check the reservoir regardless just for s***s and giggles. Do you think that ICP level in my datalog is acceptable to start the truck? I do not know what this truck needs for a minimum pressure to start.

Petro

Reaction score
I see, I will check the reservoir regardless just for s***s and giggles. Do you think that ICP level in my datalog is acceptable to start the truck? I do not know what this truck needs for a minimum pressure to start.

It's only reading 234 psi correct? That's not enough, need a minimum of 400 psi for the pcm to fire the injectors. Could be a number of things but I would start with an IPR and go from there.

jjsalz

Reaction score
It's only reading 234 psi correct? That's not enough, need a minimum of 400 psi for the pcm to fire the injectors. Could be a number of things but I would start with an IPR and go from there.
Technically its 234 kPa, which is only like 34 psi. Unless FORScan is jacked up with the conversion. I'm going to check the IPR connections and such first then and go from there. I'll post an update with my findings. Thanks a ton!

Petro

Reaction score
Technically its 234 kPa, which is only like 34 psi. Unless FORScan is jacked up with the conversion. I'm going to check the IPR connections and such first then and go from there. I'll post an update with my findings. Thanks a ton!

Oh sorry, I was having trouble reading it. But yes, you definitely have an issue somewhere. Like you said, id start by checking the ipr wiring and pigtail and work down from there.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Well guys, at this point I am suspecting my ICP sensor. I replaced the IPR valve a couple of years ago (OEM Motorcraft part), so I am going to leave that alone at the moment. Everything "appears" ok with the IPR valve, I know that basically means nothing though. The reason why I suspect the ICP sensor is the dang thing is full of oil, it's literally coming out of the electrical connector. No way that's good for it. I ordered one from RiffRaff so we'll see what happens I guess. I am going to try to dry out the ICP side and electrical connector as best I can and see if I can get it to start by doing that. Will post an update.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Truck should start with the icp unplugged, pcm goes into a default setting on icp. But it should be replaced which you are doing. Ipr duty cycle should never hit 84% which I believe is the max value, fully closed. So like stated before I would also look into the ipr. If it’s not a ipr then you have a massive oil leak or the pump is not making pressure. I had a pump that broke a piston spring inside and the truck died no start same issue your having with the same values. T500 installed and good to go.

Any smoke before the engine died out the tail pipe? How many miles on the truck? Oil condition?

500 psi icp
300 psi compression
100 rpms the cam sensor sees
10 or so volts
20 psi fuel pressure
Minimum to start give or take

jjsalz

Reaction score
Truck should start with the icp unplugged, pcm goes into a default setting on icp. But it should be replaced which you are doing. Ipr duty cycle should never hit 84% which I believe is the max value, fully closed. So like stated before I would also look into the ipr. If it’s not a ipr then you have a massive oil leak or the pump is not making pressure. I had a pump that broke a piston spring inside and the truck died no start same issue your having with the same values. T500 installed and good to go.

Any smoke before the engine died out the tail pipe? How many miles on the truck? Oil condition?

500 psi icp
300 psi compression
100 rpms the cam sensor sees
10 or so volts
20 psi fuel pressure
Minimum to start give or take
Awesome, thanks for posting all of those values. That's really what my goal was in creating this thread, I wanted to know what I needed to see in the logs for the truck to start. There wasn't any smoke out of the tailpipe when it died, just normal driving exhaust. When I try to start it there isn't any smoke at all either, so I don't think injectors are attempting to fire yet. Oil is brand new, less than 150 miles on it for sure. Truck has 145k miles on it. I'm going to try to start it with the ICP unplugged like you say, since I haven't tried that yet. I'm glad Ford put it in their programming to move a default value there, that's really helpful for troubleshooting.

jjsalz

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Got the truck started. I suspected the ICP because it was packed with oil on the electrical connector. From the fine advice I've received here, I unplugged the ICP and was able to start the truck.

I can see in the log that the PCM moved a default value for the ICP (17000 kPa, which is about 2465 psi):
jb6jyLp.png

I cleaned both electrical connectors for the ICP (harness side and sensor side) really well with shop towels and a thin terminal screwdriver. Plugged the sensor back in and was also able to start the truck.

Data after I started the truck with the ICP connectors cleaned/dried out really well:
VoCshEw.png

I ordered a new ICP from RiffRaff already so I'm glad I have it coming. Thanks again for everybody's advice here, saved me a hefty bill at the diesel shop I'm sure.

Latest posts

Members online