2011 exhaust valve/glow plug issues

hlejeune6.7

Reaction score
I am concerned about the exhaust valve issues that the 2011 trucks are known for. I’ve read somewhere that after 3/29/11 they did something different which made the engines less failure prone. My door sticker date says 04/11 so does that mean I’m in the clear? Currently have 88k miles on the truck.

sootie

Reaction score
you are right on the line. April was when they caught the problem. Probably wont show up until you have over 200k on it.

Sixfoh

Reaction score
Sootie can you explain what the issue was with the exhaust valves and or glow plugs with these select 6.7s?

sootie

Reaction score
The manufacturer of the valves had an issue with the heat treating process, which caused them to crumble and break apart prematurely. This would damage the cylinder and require the long block to be replaced in most cases.

Contrary to what the internet mechanics say, the tip of the glow plug did not break off and destroy the valve, it was the inverse. The Ford diagnostic process starts with a relative compression test. Then, if there is a cylinder with low compression, remove the glowplug and check the tip to see if it has been chewed off. Its a quick way to see if anything foreign has been beating around the cylinder.

Latest posts

Members online